You Have No Idea How Bad I Want This to Work

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

smccarthy945

You Have No Idea How Bad I Want This to Work

Post by smccarthy945 »

I cannot tell you how sick I am of dealing with MIcrosoft(MOD edit) and their impossible software licensing stuff(MOD edit). You can run this OS on this equipment but can't run this license in VM and so on and so forth. Write us a check for $2M and you can do this. They basically squeeze out the small business guys in favor of the larger players with the big checkbooks. Shortly all their software will run in Azure and they will simply start cutting off licensing such as they are doing with Microsoft Exchange.

I wish you guys the best of luck. If money will help, I will be more than happy to go raise some serious cash by going to the corporations that oppose MS or don't want to pay licensing anymore and instead funnel it into this project. I can't imagine it has to be too hard to raise cash for this project given you success to date. Will major infusions of cash help? How much cash would it take to speed development up to warp 9 to get this done in a year vs. years? I am being serious with this post. I simply cannot imagine it's that difficult to raise cash for this project given the opposition to this evil company called Microsoft.

Let me know what it will take and I will go get it.

Scott

MOD EDIT: +2 score to temp ban progress bar
Konata

Re: You Have No Idea How Bad I Want This to Work

Post by Konata »

Microsoft puts more effort and care into their software than any corporation or organization on this planet ever has, don't call them evil.
Also Server Core is specifically made to run in VMs and Docker, maybe you should wait for Server 2016 to release to see how the pricing is for that.
dark

Post by dark »

it's about 1 million euros: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-14899507

And corporations don't spend money on things like this because it does nothing to get them more money.
smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

Konata wrote:Microsoft puts more effort and care into their software than any corporation or organization on this planet ever has, don't call them evil.
Also Server Core is specifically made to run in VMs and Docker, maybe you should wait for Server 2016 to release to see how the pricing is for that.
***(MOD edit) Microsoft and the horse they rode in on. Care? Are you kidding? You ever install Office on a brand new Windows install on all Intel equipment to watch it crash constantly? Outlook can't even support IMAP standards properly and IE has shunned open standards for years. ***(MOD edit) them and ***(MOD edit) their licensing. They are using their monopoly to pure advantage. A while ago my small company tried to license out MS software for hosting and the licensing agreements are so complicated that we can't come close to affording them.

Sure, Amazon and the big guys can do it but if your a small business, your screwed. I speak from experience as I worked as a consultant for them and wrote part of SMS 2.0. Yes, they treated us well and it was a good place to work but the licensing system is a joke. If you are a small business, you are screwed.

MOD EDIT: +3 score to temp ban progress bar.
smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

dark wrote:it's about 1 million euros: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-14899507

And corporations don't spend money on things like this because it does nothing to get them more money.
Not necessarily true. Make them care. I am sure if you got Microsoft's rivals on board, they will fund. Ever heard of competitive advantage through displacement? Could you imagine what ReactOS would do for Red Hat and others if it was unhinged from the monopoly it has? You don't think Ubuntu or Oracle care? Do you know how it would change the competitive landscape if ReactOS suddenly displaced WIndows? It would change the whole game. Guys, the one thing I learned in my MBA is that corporations do care about money but they also care about displacing their competition and ReactOS could be the biggest game changer in the computer industry in 20 years.

I will start calling the competitors and trying to get the money. I suggest you do the same. Russia is a perfect example of someone who would fund this project. China and other countries would LOVE to get away from Windows licensing - you have no idea how much they hate it. Start knocking on the doors of other governments and competitive corporations. 1 million is NOTHING to them.

If you can't raise 1 million for this project, something is seriously wrong. I am going to try.
smccarthy945

Post by smccarthy945 »

Konata wrote:Microsoft puts more effort and care into their software than any corporation or organization on this planet ever has, don't call them evil.
Oh and tell that to all the people who were making a living on Exchange Server hosting and consulting. Go speak with one of them and see what they think now that MS has crushed their business models with Ex hosting. Same thing is going to happen with all their products.
Konata

Post by Konata »

You sound very angry. Maybe you should have a drink and settle down. This isn't an anti-Microsoft forum, we just want to keep Windows NT and it's older versions alive.
ReactOS needs all the help and funds it can get, so if you want to share something, then feel free. However, ReactOS is still years away from being usable, there are yet a lot of parts that are incomplete or not implemented. ReactOS has a shortage of developers who are extremely intimate with the inner workings of NT, which bogs the project down quite a bit. So you don't need to get too riled up, the project still has a ways to go.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Hey, I'm no mod or anything, but you might want to check out the code of conduct, particularly rules #1 and #6. The F-bombs are not necessary and while I don't particularly agree with the rule on "double posting," we are not supposed to leave consecutive posts.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3709

A lot of us do disagree with Microsoft, but we don't hate their products, though at times they seem too complex or just plain frustrating. I certainly want to see ReactOS become a reliable, daily use OS. I don't like their licensing schemes, but you must admit that they didn't come up with those overnight. Even back in MS-DOS and Windows 3.x days, there was a lot of piracy. Plus there was the collateral damage in terms of music/video piracy and new laws to fight that. So Microsoft had to start using activation schemes. I loved how things were under Win 9x/ME and Windows 2000, where you could move things between machines easily without red tape, activation troubles, etc. Sure, there were the technical limitations of that (like locking up when moved to a different machine due to driver incompatibility), but not the licensing and activation hurdles.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

My friend... we are not Anti MS at all. We try to make a FOSS clone of their OS due to the licensing, true that, but we love what the OS itself is and how it performs in many different tasks. What do you expect from us? Most devs use WIndows on a daily basis and we always are ... seen special on all Linux days we are part of thx to that ^^ What I know is that your language is not what I wanna have here. Cool down and please edit your posts accordingliy or I do. Every post I have to edit is one week ban btw.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

+1 EmuandCo

there be Peoples from around the world and
any have an other opinion about. shoure, some peoples be
really angry about different politic, but be not at all, like i told.
I one of them who see the Reactos at the top as head System
for all who not need any Support for WinNT, free copyable
free giftable at best with a ratio 1:2 ;] 0X and
the Baby from Bill as the last unused System ;)
because, who have bring the whole software law in the whole lands ?
Some peoples have supports the proliferation of windows,
particularly the sofwaregeeks and sorry, they are now the bad one, the Pirates ?
Okey, this is the other part of the "nice" Guys' who have in SV developed ..
but it is give many and different facets if this theme and it's be able to argue,
but this Forum and the ReacOS.org it is the wrong place for this..
It makes this Project is broken and it is not really well there to speak about ..

So, This Webpage it is by around the world to open.
and how many millions have a other opinion.. ? ;)
So, it is this Theme maybe nothing for this Reactos.org ;)

We agree to have a Free WinNT under GPL, i guess that's enough ?
which reasons behind, i guess also, this must not be explained ;)
it's be many and many different.

best regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R A V E N

Post by R A V E N »

Why are added typical Linux things, like support for ReiserFS? Wouldn't be wiser to work, for example, on full support for NTFS?
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

nothing it is typical things.. all be programs, you see it only in linux, because you not use Free/openBSD or other Systems,
so, tell me why not..
other hands, the Developers could implement ntfs-G3 .. but i guess,
EmuandCo can this better explain .. imho must be the System WinNT and first WinNT XP compliant,
the filesystem mus only be well for daily use like i guess.. so, it's maybe ext3 a better choice
because it's enable better the connectivity for UID and GID and it is a journaling File system ..
so, why specially ntfs, only because MS use it ?

best regards
Blacky
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

R A V E N wrote:Why are added typical Linux things, like support for ReiserFS? Wouldn't be wiser to work, for example, on full support for NTFS?
The things EXT3, ReiserFS, etc,, are added because the code is there, and it helps test the underlying infrastructure. Also, it would make it easier to transfer/access data from Linux, etc.

And this is not a "zero sum game." Supporting ReiserFS, etc., does not diminish nor take away from the work on NTFS. Trevor is working on NTFS and has it much closer to what we need, The thing is, if someone only knows how to code for ReiserFS, EXT3/EXT4, etc., then they would be useless at helping with NTFS. In theory, they could help with the basics, but the basics have already been coded. So making someone who only knows how to code a non-NTFS FS drop what they are doing and help with NTFS won't speed up progress. It would be like if you expected a blind person to read a book to you that you urgently need read to you. Even if they dropped whatever they were doing that uses Braille, they would not be able to read the printed book to you.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

R A V E N wrote:Why are added typical Linux things, like support for ReiserFS? Wouldn't be wiser to work, for example, on full support for NTFS?
Pardon?
https://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/bra ... _2016/NTFS
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
R A V E N

Post by R A V E N »

On Wikipedia there's information that ReactOS only supports NTFS reading.

One more thing: maybe you should abandon work on OS and website translation, at least for the time being? It kind of drive attention away from central focus: making ReactOS functional.