You Have No Idea How Bad I Want This to Work

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: You Have No Idea How Bad I Want This to Work

Post by Z98 »

You're assuming it's the same people doing the same things. Pretty much none of the developers do any translation work. Any time you see them applying a translation fix, it's usually a patch that someone else wrote and they're just doing routine maintenance.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

R A V E N wrote:On Wikipedia there's information that ReactOS only supports NTFS reading.

One more thing: maybe you should abandon work on OS and website translation, at least for the time being? It kind of drive attention away from central focus: making ReactOS functional.
Yes, I added that to the comparison list on Wikipedia. However, Trevor who is here with GSOC has been working on the write support. It isn't perfect, but would certainly put us much closer once it is merged into the trunk code. I'll gladly remove the notation I made on the list once the GSOC branch of NTFS is merged into the trunk code -- that is, if nobody else beats me to doing so.

The translation work does not take away from the development. What we have is a collection of people with different talents and abilities, and most on the translation team are not developers. Since they are not coding, then asking them not to contribute until after ROS is more mature won't make ROS mature any faster, since then they would be doing nothing at all. Would you rather they do something you deem as a lower priority, or would you rather they do nothing at all?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Let's also not forget that many developers and users are not native English speakers... It's tough to work on an OS that's not in your language.
R A V E N

Post by R A V E N »

Is global situation with being familiar with English language really that bad?
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

R A V E N wrote:Is global situation with being familiar with English language really that bad?
Not really. The main issue is if you dont speak C when working with ReactOS code.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The project requires anyone who wants commit access to be able to communicate at least passably in English. All commit messages are in English and need to be understandable.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Z98 wrote:The project requires anyone who wants commit access to be able to communicate at least passably in English. All commit messages are in English and need to be understandable.
Or Greatlordish ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

His commit messages tended to be understandable. I think. It's been a while.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

jokes about others language it is same crap
like to be a englishnazi .. live with it or tell,
you "don't understand it, sorry can you more explain"
or say easy nothing and let them ..
what do you think, Greatlord like to make you jokes about him speech and make a own name ?
i guess not.. it injures him even maybe .. deep in him .

best regards
Blacky
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Pretty sure he was the one who coined the word Greatlordish to describe his English.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

really, ohh common.., oh well, if he done it .. then oken' ..
but i guess, there speak's the lil' disappointment about also an bit
for make an name for it.. about his self.. so , maybe to try stay above and make it an bit "funny"..
how ever, it's not really well, if anyone want and he can simply not really.. it's an bit disappointed like i guess ..
I can empathize with pretty good .. i as German where bad speaking English who it is not my mother tongue ..

best regards
Blacky
proffchaos

Post by proffchaos »

I too want this as Linux was something I tryed but in the end, it won't run most of my games and doesn't play nice with new Nvidia cards......So, I tried to find some clear answers about this ReactOS but I'm assuming that I wont be able to run this on a i7-4770k with triple monitors and a GTX970 while playing Battlefield4 or a racing Sim on Steam. Is this correct? Or can I do this? Thanks in advance for any helpful responses, as I would love for this to replace Windows.

PS: I would be installing this on a SSD drive with an i7-4770k with a GTX970 video card and a MSI Xpower motherboard with DDR3 memory.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Tried, not tryed.

Run it in a virtual system and do NOT expect it to run on any real hardware combination you own. If it works then be amazed. This is alpha software able to run on virtual systems or a small and select percentage of real hardware. It is alpha grade software under development.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I have to state that the new website, because it is so good, does give the impression of workable, usable software. On the download page itself there should be more of a disclaimer for the total noob, the sort that installs without knowing what he/she is doing, who attempts to install before reading instructions, stating that the software is alpha grade. The current link that takes them to the installation instructions page is all very well and good but it does tend to hide the fact that ReactOS is still alpha.

I think this statement could be re-iterated on the download page in plain text, not a link.
"Warning: Please bear in mind that ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not stable or feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use. Operating system bugs can and do result in corrupted file systems, overwritten partitions, and more. Do not install ReactOS on any computer containing important data without using a virtual machine or making full backups first."
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Blacky should definitely be heading the translation team... ;)