A changelog of 0.4.2 by me

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ctasan

A changelog of 0.4.2 by me

Post by ctasan »

Again, I'm here with a homebrew changelog.

-Fixes based on Coverity and PVS-Studio, mainly memory leaks and corruptions due to buffer overflows or reading past the buffer limits with buffer overruns.
-Some progress in application compatibility settings, not activated yet.
-Major progress in Windows 3.1 style Program Manager, Event Viewer and Services. Also sc and subst commands improved.
-ReiserFS, UFS/FFS read; EXT3/Btrfs read/write support added.
-Major Common Cache fixes in kernel, due to new filesystems. BSoDs reduced.
-FAT32 corruption and read issues reduced. Some fixes in 1st stage setup.
-Uniata and ACPI drivers updated.
-.NET 2 and 4 now can be installed. Many programs now work.
-A watermark displaying ReactOS version added.
-Major progress in shell: new key combinations, tree folder view/basebar implemented, stability improved, some resizing issues fixed.
-Sync with Wine Staging 1.9.11.
-In command prompt, non-Latin characters can now be pasted and used. Scrolling added.
-Some shutdown issues fixed.

Feel free to report if I'm wrong or missed something!
Last edited by ctasan on Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: A changelog of 0.4.2 by me

Post by vicmarcal »

Several Coverity fixes were also about memory corruptions due buffer overflows or reading past the buffer limits with buffer overruns :)
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Updated, thanks!

By the way, as far as I'm free, this changelogs will be continued.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Thanks for the changelogs :)
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

You're welcome, hope it helps!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Very good and succinct.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I think a word was left out after due, such as "due to buffer overflows..."
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

PurpleGurl: Fixed, thanks!
dizt3mp3r: Not at all, hope it helps!
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Thanks, reads better. It is short, clean, and to the point. Good work!

Unrelated, but I cringed earlier when I saw a typo in a fix summary, wondering if the developer introduced bugs. But I checked all their changes and didn't find the misspelling there, and I breathed a sigh of relief. That is one way bugs get introduced. Rather than copy and paste variable names, someone might type it on their own and get careless. Then it doesn't match the other and then everyone wonders why the portions of code are not communicating.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

PurpleGurl wrote:Thanks, reads better. It is short, clean, and to the point. Good work!

Unrelated, but I cringed earlier when I saw a typo in a fix summary, wondering if the developer introduced bugs. But I checked all their changes and didn't find the misspelling there, and I breathed a sigh of relief. That is one way bugs get introduced. Rather than copy and paste variable names, someone might type it on their own and get careless. Then it doesn't match the other and then everyone wonders why the portions of code are not communicating.
I'll be more careful next time :)

I have some word for jedi-to-be: I saw your article at Steemit, please don't forget to mention FAT32 corruption and CC fixes!
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

You are fine. I shouldn't have mentioned the commit log, at least not in your thread. One of the devs had misspelled a variable name, but only in the summary, thankfully not the code.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

"UDFS read" - Not activated yet due to BSODs when using the driver in ROS
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

EmuandCo wrote:"UDFS read" - Not activated yet due to BSODs when using the driver in ROS
Fixed, thanks!