SVN, ISO and ZIP

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

michael79

SVN, ISO and ZIP

Post by michael79 »

Hi,

Just to propose a Zip and/or Gzip option
on http://svn.reactos.org/iso page.

Thanks for your work!

Michael

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Don't forget about 7-zip, it has an extremely good compression ratio and p7zip is available for unix users.

TOTMS

Re: SVN, ISO and ZIP

Post by TOTMS »

michael79 wrote:Hi,

Just to propose a Zip and/or Gzip option
on http://svn.reactos.org/iso page.

Thanks for your work!

Michael
Hmm I would go with 7z although I am not sure how much of a real difference it would make. ISOs are between 12 - 18 Mb at the moment, at best 7z would get it down to ~ 7/8 Mb. Still it is a good idea w.r.t. brandwidth on the main site.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Id stick to something simple, while 7zip has great compression ratios it eats RAM and CPU like crazy. The size of the ISO is hardly worth it.

Matthias

Post by Matthias »

ScoTTie wrote:Id stick to something simple, while 7zip has great compression ratios it eats RAM and CPU like crazy. The size of the ISO is hardly worth it.
I Really don't know what you're talking about. 7zip runs blazingly fast even on ReactOS.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Yeah, 7-zip uses up alot more resources than other compression utilities, but consider these statistics on my athlon 64 3000+ machine:

compressing 20935 iso: 18 seconds
decompressing: 2 seconds
size uncompressed: 17.4 megs
size compressed: 13.1 megs

I'm pretty sure:
-the server or workstation can afford to spend a minute at most to compress it,
-for most people, it will take more than several seconds to download 4 more megs, especially dial-up users
-cutting bandwidth for hosting SVN builds by 1/4 will be worthwhile

dr_asfak

Post by dr_asfak »

Yes, I agree for Dial up users. It's been 6 hour now and i have downloaded just 40 %. 7 zip will certainly make difference. I never had any problem with 7zip.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Im talking about .7z file specificly, they are _highly_ compressed. Ive had computers because unusable while uncompressing .7z files.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Hmm we could go zisofs. A compressed ISO. No zip archive just download the iso and burn.

We whould have to update our cd driver to support it.

http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/comp-readme.html

Advancecomp. Makes sure that a zip is as small as it can be Great for OpenOffice files with other compressors.]

.7z files are great but they can cause alot of problems. My worst one used over 1g of ram. This is ouch on Windows.

Setings of 7zip is critical or it hurts big time.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

ScoTTie wrote:Im talking about .7z file specificly, they are _highly_ compressed. Ive had computers because unusable while uncompressing .7z files.
Any modern OS should handle CPU resources so that even if something wants 100% usage like a 7z extractor, it will not block other apps from working.

Besides, it only takes seconds to extract a file. 2 on a modern comp.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Cpu Usage is not the problem. 7z can eat a heck load of Ram. Windows Memory Manger Packs it in.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

mikedep333 wrote: Any modern OS should handle CPU resources so that even if something wants 100% usage like a 7z extractor, it will not block other apps from working.

Besides, it only takes seconds to extract a file. 2 on a modern comp.
Why does everyone insist on this come back? duh, obviously newer hardward is faster. but guess what? not everyone has the fastest gear.

For the record the OS i was using was XP, and yes the computer at the time wasnt blazing fast (i use past tense in my last post).

Jaix
Moderator Team

SMP or DualCore

Post by Jaix »

Well, if you would like a really smooth multitasking computer when doing CPU-heavy stuff, get yourself a SMP or DualCore computer and you will find yourself floating on top of things.