How are we looking towards 0.3.0 ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How would you rate Reactos

Poll ended at Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:25 am

1- Its buggy, unstable. Im not touching it.
3
6%
2- I expected better
2
4%
3- Its not great, but not bad
10
19%
4- Im impresed, seems like a good idea.
22
41%
5- We got internet access. Im sold!
17
31%
 
Total votes: 54

Ged
Developer
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: UK

Re: You ar almost right...

Post by Ged »

Jaix wrote:
GvG wrote:Only networking is a requisite for 0.3.0, the other items you mention are not.
Yes, that's almost right except for the firefox.
firefox is networking, which is a prerequsit. We've hit that one :)
By the way to release a network release where there isn't possible to get a stable network going from anything but qemu and vmware isn't very big news, but if all the major network cards could be supported for real hardware it would be a MAJOR thing for a release that will go around the earth more then ones.
Ok, but who is gonna write the drivers for those. We support pcnet and ne2000 natively. Unless you or someone else is prepered to start writing netcard drivers, we should act now. Other cards may be usable via 3rd party drivers.

User avatar
Jaix
Moderator Team
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:40 pm
Location: Sweden, Växjö

Re: You ar almost right...

Post by Jaix »

ged wrote:
Jaix wrote: By the way to release a network release where there isn't possible to get a stable network going from anything but qemu and vmware isn't very big news, but if all the major network cards could be supported for real hardware it would be a MAJOR thing for a release that will go around the earth more then ones.
Ok, but who is gonna write the drivers for those. We support pcnet and ne2000 natively. Unless you or someone else is prepered to start writing netcard drivers, we should act now. Other cards may be usable via 3rd party drivers.
Couldn't we just make a driver .ISO with all 3:rd party drivers that people will need or even better include them in the RosCD? We could ask some network card suppliers for permission to include their drivers.

Alkali
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri May 27, 2005 4:30 am
Location: US

Post by Alkali »

When I first install windows, I don't have sound, networking, or hardware advanced graphics. I have to install my MoBo's drivers to get all this. As long as Ros can install and run 3rd party drivers, it can be consitered a network release. Only computer enthusiests are going to install Ros initially, and most will know how to find/install their own drivers.

GvG
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:50 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: You ar almost right...

Post by GvG »

Jaix wrote:But there has been a lot of talk about all those features for the critical 0.3.0 release to make as big news as possible of this release.
They were never in the requirements for 0.3.0. Adding/changing requirements is probably the best way to never finish anything.
Jaix wrote:By the way to release a network release where there isn't possible to get a stable network going from anything but qemu and vmware isn't very big news, but if all the major network cards could be supported for real hardware it would be a MAJOR thing for a release that will go around the earth more then ones.
We're telling people the best way to try ReactOS is using QEmu/VMware player. As long as networking works out of the box on those platforms, I'm happy.

GreatLord
Developer
Posts: 926
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:26 am
Location: Sweden

Post by GreatLord »

I think we are at roadmap 0.3.0 it is almost finish only one more apps with network support it is a IM clinet.

At begin of 0.3.0 we should been happy only with working tcp/ip with firefox. Now we got

Stable, basic TCP/IP over 802.3 Ethernet Support
(done in my eys)

Introduce the new WinSock model
Alex ís working on winsock but we have ws2_32 ready in his branch.

Mozilla Firefox
Working in 0.2.9
at least one working mail client
Thunderbird 1.5 is working in SVN r20849
at least one working IRC client
mIRC 6.16 working in 0.2.9
at least one working FTP client
ncftp working in 0.2.9
at least one working IM client
ToDo
at least one working SVN client
Command line svn from tigris.org works in 0.2.9
lynx -source, curl, or wget works
curl works for me (as does lynx) in 0.2.9
wget works(more then not)

at least one working SSH client
PuTTY 0.58 works in 0.2.9 (Installer too!)

Driver we have Ne2000 driver it works with most network card like 3com, dlink and more. for it a genertic standad how to programing Ne2000 like VBE is.


I say we have reach more that we have dream about frist release of network support. I say we should release next release as 0.3.0 we are there now. and we can wait with IM client. for we are not missing network api it is more GDI api for font we are missing for most IM client.

mikedep333
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:48 am
Location: United States

Post by mikedep333 »

Glad to hear that so many apps are working. I can't wait till the support database is up.

I do think that if USB keyboard and mice support is only a month away or so, .3 should wait for that. Countless people are buying systems with only usb keyboards and mice now.

Ged
Developer
Posts: 925
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:00 pm
Location: UK

Post by Ged »

mikedep333 wrote: I do think that if USB keyboard and mice support is only a month away or so, .3 should wait for that. Countless people are buying systems with only usb keyboards and mice now.
But the recommended environment for testing is vmware player or qemu, not real hardware.

USB is for 0.4

mikedep333
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:48 am
Location: United States

Post by mikedep333 »

ged wrote:
mikedep333 wrote: I do think that if USB keyboard and mice support is only a month away or so, .3 should wait for that. Countless people are buying systems with only usb keyboards and mice now.
But the recommended environment for testing is vmware player or qemu, not real hardware.

USB is for 0.4
Quite true, I didn't think of that.

temarez
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:52 pm
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

Post by temarez »

Can we conclude that v0.3 branch release in next few months is irrevocable decision? Will there be release candidates for 0.3.0?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], DotBot [Crawler], Google [Bot] and 3 guests