How are we looking towards 0.3.0 ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

How would you rate Reactos

Poll ended at Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:25 am

1- Its buggy, unstable. Im not touching it.
6%
2- I expected better
4%
3- Its not great, but not bad
19%
4- Im impresed, seems like a good idea.
41%
5- We got internet access. Im sold!
31%

Total votes: 54

samwise52

How are we looking towards 0.3.0 ?

Post by samwise52 »

The release date of 0.3.0 hasnt been anouned, but inside talk sugests that by february->march (i know im gonna get comments about this) we should see this new version.
Taking into account recent svn commits, funtionality(promised/actual), performance(promised/actual), general usability and our current "workforce".

How would you rate Reactos?
1- Its buggy, unstable. Im not touching it.
2- I expected better
3- Its not great, but not bad
4- Im impresed, seems like a good idea.
5- We got internet access. Im sold!

AFAIK you must be loged in to vote
Last edited by samwise52 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

If i was going to vote id choose 1 (it is buggy and unstable), 4 and 5, but the outcome of this poll will most probably made up of 4's and 5's. If you could poll a bunch of people (Windows/Linux/Mac OSX users) about what they think of it we'd get some far more interesting data.

Matthijs

Post by Matthijs »

After hearing from ReactOS at the time of the beginning of 0.2.x i tried it a couple of times and it had so many errors that installing or booting it was nearly impossible. After following the project from a little distance since then, a few days ago i tried again with the latest svn-trunk-iso. I installed it (on real hardware, nforce1) i was surprised by the simple and fast (and trouble free) installation (including formatting of the partition) and how fast it booted (again, trouble free). I installed Firefox, it worked, i installed winrar, it seemed to work, i was amazed. In the "ReactOS status report" i read that the nforce network adapter was untested, so i tried to get it to install, but i had no clue as for how to do that. Getting to the hardware/device screen was impossible. While i was searching through the files, the explorer didn't show any content half the time (the windows only had a border and menu) opening folders in the explorer only worked by expanding the treeview and not by clicking on the folder in the other window. A bit sad but with some hope left i clicked "turn off"....it hung....ok, reset then and try log off....some black and blue screen of death....

They are making huge progress but a lot of small steps for man have to be made before it will be a giant leap for mankind :)
Last edited by Matthijs on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

It is buggy and unstable (at least the kernel is sound.)
Considering how few people work on it and do so in their free time, I couldn't have expected any better.
It is great for pre-alpha software.
I am very much impressed.
Internet access is great and I'll be sold (using it) in a few years or so probably.

Chis

Post by Chis »

If I could get it to install, I would vote... something! Come on guys, fix this floppy.sys bug PLEASE!

menn

Post by menn »

real quick not up on this thread so sorry if it doesn't help here - but iirc you can use floppy in command prompt (cmd.exe) in ros if it wont work in gui. of course i look fwd to seeing the whole thing fixed.

wanted to say i predict completely unofficially and based on reading more forum posts and mailing list stuff that i can imagine i predict version 1.0 will be out winter 2007. eh, tho- i cannot wait to see 0.3.0 :) i'll wait as long as i have to. keep up the great wonderful work. i've been in a better mood about everything on computers since i discovered this project several weeks ago. you guys (+danielle_dll! only(?) female i've seen here- YET) rule. hope this wasn't too off topic, i try really hard not to stray here.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Chis wrote:Come on guys, fix this floppy.sys bug PLEASE!
It wasn't a bug in floppy.sys, it was related to pnp and it was fixed a few days ago now.
Please try one of the latest iso's from http://svn.reactos.org.iso

Chis

Post by Chis »

Hallelujah! r20832.iso installs and runs in Qemu!

Is it just me, or is the font rendering on ROS antialiased? It looks better than in Windows 2000!

Chis

Post by Chis »

Okay one thing that still exists in the SVN is ROS's tendency to just fall over when you put another CD in any CD drive. It works once, with once CD, but if I then eject the drive and put another CD in, explorer hangs when trying to view the drive, as does the command line when putting in the drive letter and pressing return.

Currently trying to run any EXE in ROS explorer causes the SVN to bluescreen.

This is being tested on real hardware btw, a Shuttle SN45G with an Athlon 2200XP and 256MB RAM (nForce 2 chipset). ROS detects the on-board firewire at least! :shock:

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Post a bug report on Bugzilla and a developer will look into it.

Chis

Post by Chis »

It's already in there.

Jaix
Moderator Team

All functions are there...

Post by Jaix »

Well, all functions are there, so I think it is time for a release soon, it's just the bugs left to exterminate, and then it will rock!
The bug-fixing might take a lot of time though, perhaps a 0.2.10 is a good idea?
If
net,
PNP,
device manager,
driver installation,
USB,
package manager,
OOo installation and
firefox
(plus all things that I forgot)
is going to be fairly bugfree we maybe need one minor release in between.

GvG

Post by GvG »

Only networking is a requisite for 0.3.0, the other items you mention are not.

Jaix
Moderator Team

You ar almost right...

Post by Jaix »

GvG wrote:Only networking is a requisite for 0.3.0, the other items you mention are not.
Yes, that's almost right except for the firefox. But there has been a lot of talk about all those features for the critical 0.3.0 release to make as big news as possible of this release. By the way to release a network release where there isn't possible to get a stable network going from anything but qemu and vmware isn't very big news, but if all the major network cards could be supported for real hardware it would be a MAJOR thing for a release that will go around the earth more then ones. I think we need the mentioned things fairly stable to be able to make a world wide impression for ReactOS for all that lays there eyes on it to start to count it something to follow up and hopefully also join.

rrobin

Post by rrobin »

With great anticipation, and high hopes!