AMD PIC and ROS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Would ROS be a good alternative operating system for the PIC?

Yes!
52%
No!
10%
Maybe!
14%
What is a PIC?
24%

Total votes: 21

tomleem

AMD PIC and ROS?

Post by tomleem »

AMD has a PIC; personal internet computer. Would ReactOS work on such a device? I did not see what operating system it uses but I am still looking around the site.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/ConnectivitySo ... dir=PCPC14
It shows that Radio Shack is selling them in the USA.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search

"
Dynamic title

Get communicating!
The Presidian Personal Internet Communicator allows you to use your Internet service to connect to the Web, create documents and play games easily. This machine works for you--easy to set up and the managed content helps keep out viruses and worms. The combination of low-power requirements, excellent performance and small size make this communicator an ideal solution for those who want an easy way to access the Internet without the hassle of a full-blown PC.

* Internet communicator lets you access to the Internet and your e-mail*
* Microsoft-compatible so you can create Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents
* Play games, download music and watch news clips or movie trailers
* Fast to boot up and easy to operate
* 10GB hard drive

What's in the box

* Personal Internet Communicator Unit
* Keyboard
* Mouse
* AC Adapter
* User's Guide

You'll also need

* VGA Compatible Monitor
" (copied from the Radio Shack site). Unit costs $299).
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... =techSpecs

"
Personal Internet Communicator (PIC)

AMD's first step in bringing new technology to achieve the 50x15 vision is a new device product category called the Personal Internet Communicator (PIC). The PIC is a low-cost, consumer-friendly, managed device that will put technology into the hands of first-time technology users in high-growth markets around the world, such as India, Mexico, Brazil, Russia and China.

The PIC is a new category of affordable consumer devices designed to provide managed Internet access for people in global, high-growth markets to enhance communications, entertainment and education opportunities. The PIC is an empowering connecting device — a simple and accessible platform designed to work with existing telecom dial-up or broadband infrastructure — that delivers Internet capabilities such as e-mail, downloads, Web browsing and more.

To protect system integrity and ensure trouble-free performance over time, the PIC is designed around a core set of software programs that drive basic Internet communication. These include a Microsoft® Windows® powered operating system and industry-standard text editor, picture/video viewer, and peripheral driver software.
"
http://50x15.amd.com/en-us/sol_tech_pic.aspx

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

Cool Dude 2k

Post by Cool Dude 2k »

tomleem wrote:AMD has a PIC; personal internet computer. Would ReactOS work on such a device? I did not see what operating system it uses but I am still looking around the site.
It says here they are using Windows CE.

tomleem

PIC with Linux?

Post by tomleem »

Thanks for the link. The site is very informative. It says they are not available in the USA but the site has a link to Radio Shack where one can buy it.

There is mention of four USB ports. Could one boot ROS from an USB drive? an USB thumb drive? :?:

It also mentions a Gumstix Waysmall Computer. I will check the internet for it. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

tomleem

Gumstix Waysmall Computer Site

Post by tomleem »

http://www.gumstix.com
I found the Gumstix Waysmall Computer web site referred to in the AMD PIC review.
http://www.gumsix.com/sys_tinycomp.html
It uses Linux. Miight be able to use ROS? :?:

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

forart

Post by forart »

I think all manufacturers should be informed about ReactOS.
Someone of them could decide to support the project economically (and not only).

So, please: spread the voice !

And then you can add a link in my Hardware manufacturer's list on the wiki. 8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

menn

Post by menn »

best idea of patchworks' i've read yet. i'm with him on this.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Damn small linux would be the best free OS on it. I know alot of people are using it on old machines.

menn

Post by menn »

mikedep333 wrote:Damn small linux would be the best free OS on it. I know alot of people are using it on old machines.
linux is great. if by best you mean "fastest, most compatible with feature xyz + linux software to linux users" overall i would agree.

if by best you mean "most likely to be used instead of winCE (lol, windowsCE= "wince") so that the average user can poke around without any learning curve and run windows stuff including win usb hardware" then i would say SOMEDAY ros would possibly be the best. there was recently a presentation about ros for the $100 laptop. i think it would eventually be suitable for pocket machines, but we aren't there.

at least the devs say we aren't there, and i'm inclined to agree on this. yes, for now, damnsmall would be best on all counts. in the future i think ros will be a worthy alternative, without getting into any debates about linux vs ros which would be absolutely silly.
both will be very good depending on the end user- i think that's ultimatly what i'm getting at, ya? hey, yknow what would be better than either? dualboot pocket computer with damnsmall AND ros. now there's a machine i'd like to carry. let's have amd get right on it.
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

Yeah, ROS definitely has the potential to be the best overall OS for it, and many novice users would prefer it before it's the best simply because linux/unix in general is more complicated and unfamiliar to Windows users.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Set-top boxes and DVD recorders...

Post by Jaix »

ReactOS has some very big advantages to many other OS:es, It is free, it runs with windows drivers and apps, it is portable and a whole lot of other that you can pleasure yourself finding out. So, I think many of the future Set-top boxes, DVD recorders (with hd and net), routers, gateways, mobile phones and many other hardware are going to run ReactOS.

I think we need a virtual screen driver to be able to remotely control screen less firmware to be able to be controlled via the net.
Look at this and be amazed! http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki/ctk-vnc.html

oiaohm

Sorry Jaix to rain on you here.

Post by oiaohm »

Running Windows Drivers this is only a minor advantage.

Codecs. Linux runs Windows media codecs.

Routers/Gateways They are either Linux so some other specialize OS. Reactos will not make it into this market for a long time.

Mobile phones. Clock is ticking Nokia bigest seller of Mobile phones is going linux.

Where I see Reactos. Improve Linuxs Windows Driver compad. Ie captive style.

Wine in the past supported Windows 3.11 printer drivers. There is no reason why this cannot return. Scanners Printers and other devices that refuse linux support taken by Wine.

Running Windows Drivers and apps is only half the question.

Embeded windows will most likely require a virtual screen. This costs resources.

Basicly reactos will have to be prepare to form its own market develop its own features to pull people away. Linux will fight really hard. The Linux Standard Base aggreement ment to go down in June opens the way for graphical comerical software on linux. One executable all linux distros on the same processor. This is a big change the clock is ticking.

Once Linux is one platforms with many different tastes how long can Microsoft hold out. Really Micrsoft is failling to hold ground against linux.

In Australia 2 of our tax offices no longer run windows but run linux. Its breaking down slowly. This trend is happening world wide.

Reactos might just speed it up but is it going to be able to stop the crushing force of linux long term.

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

I'm sorry, I have to ask this:
When you say 'compad', do you mean 'compatibility'?

tomleem

Re: Set-top boxes and DVD recorders...

Post by tomleem »

Jaix wrote:ReactOS has some very big advantages to many other OS:es, It is free, it runs with windows drivers and apps, it is portable and a whole lot of other that you can pleasure yourself finding out. So, I think many of the future Set-top boxes, DVD recorders (with hd and net), routers, gateways, mobile phones and many other hardware are going to run ReactOS.

I think we need a virtual screen driver to be able to remotely control screen less firmware to be able to be controlled via the net.
Look at this and be amazed! http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki/ctk-vnc.html
Another advantage of ROS is a company can make their own version of it if they wish without having to pay royalties. :)

It is very compact. I have put ROS on a mini-cdr (the ISO image).

8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy