Live CD

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

steffen_moeller

Live CD

Post by steffen_moeller »

I was very enthusiastic to see my Pentium 4 1800 MHz machine boot the ReactOS live CD. I admit I was kind of hoping to find a Knoppix-like environment to play around with. Well, ok, just dreaming. However, it was a bit frustrating to have close to nothing to work with. Not even a web browser.

Since only people that have some interest in the project are likely to burn the live CD, you might want to present a ready-to-path-and-build developing environment to them. Thus, more eyeballs are likely to inspect your source. I'd have, at least. Ok, I know how to use subversion and am likely to do that anyway, but later.

I am imaging to have all the source and tools on board that are required to create the LiveCD. Maybe with a CD-RW burner even or at least QEMU. One could then claim theoretical independence from the original environment for the development, thus bootstrapping oneself towards full compatibility.

All the best and many thanks for your efforts

SM

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

i suggest using the Install CD if you want to see ReactOS in action.

fdwhacker

Re: Live CD

Post by fdwhacker »

QEMU is good too. I tried ROS and let me install Firefox (hd image will grow, though).

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

fdwhacker wrote:QEMU is good too. I tried ROS and let me install Firefox (hd image will grow, though).
You really ought to try it out in VMWare to get an impression of how it runs. After running it in QEMU for so long, I'd built up a mental association with ReactOS being slow, even though I knew that it was due to the emulation environment bogging it down. In VMWare, though - wow.

fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

Unless you find VMWare Player, you have to pay. And if you do find VMWare Player, they ask for some personal info like your email address.

Here is the URL:
http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

fdwhacker wrote:Unless you find VMWare Player, you have to pay. And if you do find VMWare Player, they ask for some personal info like your email address.

Here is the URL:
http://www.vmware.com/download/player/
This is why I downloaded the install once and then burned it to a million backups so that I never have to go through all that again.

Also, if you don't like people to know any personal contact info, you could always just use a disposable email address or something.