ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LMH1
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Norway

ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by LMH1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:35 pm

Some one that know how much money reactos need to be compareble to windows 10?
Help us reach our Fundraising goal of having 2.000 recurrent donors so we can hire full time devs to boost ReactOS development.
But how much many money do reactos need?
Its long way to windows 10.

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4329
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by EmuandCo » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Who cares about Win10? The kernel of Vista + is mostly the same. Only the GUI got worse with anything WIn7+
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

LMH1
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Norway

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by LMH1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:11 pm

I do, its a reason that i use windows XP with old games\software.
But use windows 10 to new software.

[*]One things "UEFI" mode (Secority boot)
[*]GPT harddrives (exfat) NTFS
[*]Ipv6 and 10 gigabit\ethernet support
[*]Internet wine brosing missing html5, flash support
[*]Multitreading\multicore support?
[*] 64 bits OS?
[*] DX12 (Mantle or vulcan?) OpenGL 4?

Its look like reactos 0.4 its little better than older reactos, but i guess its long way.

Its some of that is high priority for Reactos?
Or its more important to year 2017 to get its more stabile\more drives?

I like kubuntu\ KDE Plasma 5.0 too.
Or do you think that ReactOS will replace windows XP?

Because later i may buy worksstation motherboard (Asus Z10PE-D16 WS) with dual Xeon QPI.
That may be very fast computer, with SFP+ But i know only FreeBSD works nice with some like that, its it POSIX system that can be very diffecult to use for people that use GUI normaly.

Only microsoft\Apple use some like this hardware (old Mac PRO or Server\workstation).
Image

Konata
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by Konata » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:56 pm

ReactOS isn't targeting Windows 10, it's targeting Server 2003/Windows XP (SP2?). Re-implementing Windows NT, a very complex corporate product produced by thousands of people, some of them being the most experienced operating systems developers on earth, is an extremely huge undertaking. The team just wants to focus on this one specific version right now and just get the thing working. It's a better plan than continuously trying to implement a bunch of half-working components and services every time the latest Windows gets them, before the OS itself is even working. But, that being said, the team is using some design decisions made in more recent versions of Windows (Since Server 2003 and earlier are kind of, really broken and half-assed in some areas). Don't worry about the bigger picture, just be patient and wait for ReactOS to finally be feature-complete with Server 2003, then it can be upgraded to reflect later versions of Windows.

LMH1
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Norway

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by LMH1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:25 pm

Thx for answer,

But which features e.g wine may reactOS support?

As i know now Ubunt\Kunbuntu ( 15.10) is much updated that works better with games\software with Wine HQ than ReactOS now.
But do you know that money that i donate to ReactOS also go to wine project?

So its not waste of money if i do that? If microsoft did not like cloning they old XP?
Reason i did not use linux is because Wine HQ emulator did not to be very compatible with dos games.

But i guess ReactOS did not use MS dos clone in the core?
So may all games (Dosbox) will not works plug an play.

But think Steam OS and ubuntu do have higher prority to support Mantle\Vulcan in future.

Konata
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by Konata » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:21 pm

ReactOS and Wine work closely together, usually a contribution to one will indirectly contribute to the other. Though I recommend donating to ReactOS so the kernel can be improved, then ReactOS will run better and be able to better support Windows drivers to run even better.

Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by Black_Fox » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:03 pm

LMH1 wrote:But i guess ReactOS did not use MS dos clone in the core?
So may all games (Dosbox) will not works plug an play.
ReactOS has its own NTVDM emulator, that is even better than the original NTVDM in WIndows. One of the authors would have to comment on the specific differences (and differences between NTVDM and DosBox).

LMH1
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Norway

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by LMH1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:12 am

But later on, will ReactOS be one free and one PRO edition? Like windows XP Professional\Home edition or mediacenter (x64 edition).
Because many linux distribution did not have mp3, flash,avi, mpeg file format because its cost money.

I guess some like this may be issue later on, because i guess maybe that make its more diffecult to do its easy for user.

Do other know how windows 10 can change motherboard\GPU e.g without to reinstall?
For i know Windows XP give bluescreen in boot if motherboard i changed or activate AHCI\Raid.

Did not know that windows 10 automaticaly have biger driver database that automataly install new drives when replace old hardware.
But know its few issue that old hardware did not be dissable so its better to reinstall OS than keep the old one. Because its may get driver isuee (Old drives from old hardware be updated) that may do games\software that need drivers may did not longer works slower or get (What to do when a device isn't installed properly)?

So do you think ReactOS may be better on this point?
Or its more important to get ReactOS size (System Requirements\SSD Requirements) low as possible?
So its will be a windows NT platform with new technology but only need max 1 GB HDD at least when release?
Don't need more than 64 mb ram and single core cpu? Use less battery power than windows 10 that is goal for ReactOS?

To info: I give reactos 15 euro, not much but better than nothing.
Because ReactOS at the moment did not save my money, but its nice to test with.
I may give more if i know more what i can expect in future so i its not waste to much money.

I may guess if ReactOS webpages used advertising funded so its may get more money that way.
But i dont hope reactos OS come with much creap.

PurpleGurl
Posts: 1778
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am
Location: USA

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by PurpleGurl » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:52 am

LMH1 wrote:But later on, will ReactOS be one free and one PRO edition? Like windows XP Professional\Home edition or mediacenter (x64 edition).
Because many linux distribution did not have mp3, flash,avi, mpeg file format because its cost money.

I guess some like this may be issue later on, because i guess maybe that make its more difficult to do it's easy for user.

Do other know how windows 10 can change motherboard\GPU e.g without to reinstall?
For i know Windows XP give bluescreen in boot if motherboard i changed or activate AHCI\Raid.

Did not know that windows 10 automaticaly have biger driver database that automataly install new drives when replace old hardware.
But know its few issue that old hardware did not be dissable so its better to reinstall OS than keep the old one. Because its may get driver isuee (Old drives from old hardware be updated) that may do games\software that need drivers may did not longer works slower or get (What to do when a device isn't installed properly)?
Okay, Reactos likely won't have a commercial version, at least not one from the official team. The open source model does allow for selling a modified copy if all the terms (such as remaining open source) are met, with possible exceptions that I won't mention now to avoid causing confusion. Now, if you need to emulate the professional version, someone could modify it to more closely work like a specific flavor of 2003 Server.

What you say about IDE emulation vs. RAID vs. AHCI is certainly an issue. It would be nice to have the option of installing a different storage driver at the F8 prompt (similar to pressing F6 when you install Windows to get to install drivers that are needed immediately).
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

middings
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by middings » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:16 am

LMH1 wrote:But later on, will ReactOS be one free and one PRO edition? Like windows XP Professional\Home edition or mediacenter (x64 edition).
The ReactOS team intends that all versions of ReactOS will always be free and open source software (FOSS).
ReactOS User FAQ wrote:Free and Open Source. Free as "you can download and use it for free", and open source which means...you can view the source code for everything...

We believe commercial operating systems should be freely available...
The ReactOS target is to replace Microsoft's Windows Server 2003, a powerful version of Windows that is more advanced that Windows XP Professional.

LMH1
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Norway

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by LMH1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:45 am

Hi, again, i ask a few linux users and they say its will help more to support donating wine HQ.
Because ReactOS its old not stabile, so longer way to be competed than Wine HQ is.

I did not know but i guess that i good point to priority.
But i guess Wine HQ core is very important?

Without its, ReactOS can not support any thing.
So its more than 30% of ReactOS core without GUI core is wine?

middings
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by middings » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 pm

LMH1 wrote:Hi, again. I asked a few Linux users and they say it will help more to support donating to Wine HQ.
Of course Linux users would say that. Donating to a Linux-based project will help Linux users more than other computer users.
Wine is an attempt to build a Windows-like head (the graphical user interface) and graft that head onto a Linux body (the Linux operating system) with clever software.

ReactOS borrows some of Wine's Windows-like head, adds more Windows features to it, and matches that head to a Windows-like body (the ReactOS operating system kernel and services). ReactOS is for people who wish to use Windows software on a Windows-compatible operating system. The ReactOS Project does not belittle Wine or Linux.

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4329
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:18 pm

LMH1 wrote:Hi, again, i ask a few linux users and they say its will help more to support donating wine HQ.
Because ReactOS its old not stabile, so longer way to be competed than Wine HQ is.

I did not know but i guess that i good point to priority.
But i guess Wine HQ core is very important?

Without its, ReactOS can not support any thing.
So its more than 30% of ReactOS core without GUI core is wine?
<5% of the Core is Wine based. ROS' user mode environment ist heavily Wine based though. Check current Wine sync efforts and you will see that many dlls are from Wine. Of course they are, why reinventing the wheel 3*10^8 times? Wine does/did a great job coding the user mode environment and we use parts of it. (The parts which are not *nix dependant and in theory work under Win2k3, too.) We find bugs quite often and of course send em back to Wine as patches. So Wine gets help from us and we get help from them. Theres no official partnership, but that is the case anyway. Whoever you donate to, both projects will profit from it to some extent. If you want to support ROS mainly you should donate to us and vice versa still.

There are NO plans to make a commercial version. If you want MP3, you have the codec included already. If you want flash or more video formats, install Flash and VLC or better SMPlayer and you are set.

Yes you can change all stuff if you want on Win10. (Did so 2 months ago) It loads the default drivers for 1st boot and then installs the device specific ones after boot. ONLY thing you cannot do is switch between Legacy and AHCI mode. We will NOT include drivers where we don't have the source code of by default. We only include what we can build by ourselves. But there are tools like Snappy Driver Installer to do that for you. Their DB is a MONSTER and it's free.

Who needs MS DOS core? We have ntvdm, like all older Windows versions did, but with one exception. It works on 64 bit, too in theory. It will support 16 bit Windows apps later, too. Right now only DOS apps are working and only these which do not want VESA GFX. VESA will come later though. Many games already work to some extent. Sound is WIP and will come soon, VESA takes a while longer though.

UEFI is WIP btw and will show up in near future. GPT is partially supported already, too. IPv6 not, right... Internet browsing supports what the browser you install supports. FireFox works, Chrome... soon. Multicore will come sooner or later, right now It's not working yet. Same for 64 bit OS port. It's there, but MM prevents it from booting. OpenGL 4 "can" work, if the driver supports it. DX is far from a native port. We use Wine's wrappers for now.
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

LMH1
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:16 pm
Location: Norway

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by LMH1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:42 pm

But: Snappy Driver its its the same as: Driverdetective?
Because i guess some old hardware may not be available to get drivers, if not copy from windows.

I guess e.g:
Version 1.5.13.46
Release Date 10/27/2010
File Name cxge3nic_toe-1.5.13.46.exe
File Size 7.26 MB
Chelsio S310E-CR


Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN MNPA19-XTR know i its works (Plug an play i windows 10\Windows Server 2012 R2)
But this card works better with\linux\FreeBSD.

So i did not know how software compactibility may be for ReactOS here.
Also Microsoft Fingerprint Reader or Wireless card and bluetooth.

Its many devices that must works plug and play, i guess its long way.

May some developer know how to fix that later.

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe

That will be removed when reactOS be more stabile?
or Changed from Wine explorer to ReactOS browser?

Or is it a part of Wine?

Konata
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: ReactOS donating how fast can developing of reactos be?

Post by Konata » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:35 pm

LMH1 wrote:Hi, again, i ask a few linux users and they say its will help more to support donating wine HQ.
Because ReactOS its old not stabile, so longer way to be competed than Wine HQ is.

I did not know but i guess that i good point to priority.
But i guess Wine HQ core is very important?

Without its, ReactOS can not support any thing.
So its more than 30% of ReactOS core without GUI core is wine?
In that case, you should definitely not be supporting Linux, it's even older and it's a highly-unstable monolithic kernel running an even more unstable Xorg and Systemd :]
ReactOS's development is snowballing. It started out slow a long time ago, and it's increasingly getting faster. More components are getting done and the project is getting more attention. When ReactOS is fully functional it'll be a perfect operating system.

Wine is just the Windows API. You can call Wine a clone of CSRSS.EXE, which is a very small part of Windows. ReactOS is aiming to make everything that isn't Wine. What is everything else? All of the programs, subsystems and processes that make up Windows (there are hundreds), including the extremely critical driver subsystems. Windows drivers always work better than Linux ones, and that's a very good reason to donate to ReactOS. Nothing on your computer will work well if the drivers aren't. Furthermore, Wine isn't needed for ReactOS. Without it, ReactOS can't run Windows programs, but you can still write native programs for it. That's more of a trivial thing, since that's really pointless outside of special cases.

If you're so concerned with what's what, why not do a little research on Windows? Everything in ReactOS is comparatively the same.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect ... Windows_NT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Client/Se ... _Subsystem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_API

If you're fascinated by operating systems or just Windows in general, there's a ton of excellent Windows NT-related reading material out there for you to dive in to. It's very interesting.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 2 guests