What I've learnt from mouth-to-mouth advertising ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

laurflorin

What I've learnt from mouth-to-mouth advertising ReactOS

Post by laurflorin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:36 am

Hi. I want to share some feedback with you that I've collected throughout advertising ROS (especially since 0.4.0 launch):

1) People don't realize that it's made from scratch
2) People don't realize that it's not a microsoft clone
3) They think that using the same system file names equals clone and MS copying - not compatibility
4) People (especially IT-oriented persons) still don't get it that it's open and you can look into and modify the code and contribute
5) They ask if it's Windows or Linux
6) They still have doubts at first whether the code is clean - they think it's just a rip-off or some scrap collecting piece of code from Windows. It's not :D

Once I have cleared these doubts from the group I was advertising in, and told them that they can see and modify the code, their perspective has changed radically
from being reluctant to actually being curious and wanting to try it.

So... perhaps there is something that the marketing team can use in order to effectively promote the OS :)

Thank you.
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.

laurflorin

Re: What I've learnt from mouth-to-mouth advertising ReactOS

Post by laurflorin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:51 am

I almost forgot... In their skepticism, they asked me to show them the GPL license of ReactOS, which
I had trouble finding on the new website. I know it's on the EULA when you install ReactOS but some people
apparently need to know they are safe before even downloading. :)

And yes, Many things are just there on the ReactOS frontpage for everyone to see. But somehow they still ask
questions... I don't know why. Perhaps other popular and trusted news sources should be contacted and be
explained what exactly ReactOS is and wants to be and they could get a clearer image out in the public.
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.

tcrawford

Post by tcrawford » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:59 pm

2) People don't realize that it's not a microsoft clone
It is, effectively, a Windows clone.
4) People (especially IT-oriented persons) still don't get it that it's open and you can look into and modify the code and contribute
IT and developers get that it's open. A majority just don't care. They have no reason to look at, modify, or contribute code because they don't/won't/can't use it; ReactOS currently fills no roll where Windows itself would be better (however, RELEX has shown that ReactOS could be).

Of the people I've mentioned it to at work, only two didn't know what ReactOS is. I even learned that one of our developers is using ReactOS API implementation as reference where MSDN isn't enough.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:22 pm

tcrawford wrote:It is, effectively, a Windows clone.
I think that the word "clone" creates a notion that it is just a copy or a ripoff (-> bad PR) while it actually is an independent reconstruction.

Konata

Post by Konata » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:38 pm

One issue about the IT field is a major reason they use Windows is because of support. Windows has loads of support from Microsoft and third parties. ReactOS doesn't so much. No IT firm wants to hire a dozen guys to gloss over the source code and fix anything wrong with it, which is why IT doesn't really care of it's open or not; it's not their problem and they don't want it to be their problem. In fact that's why so many cloud services are gaining momentum, now they don't even have to worry about the hardware on top of not having to worry about the software. Just tell a company to run their website and file server and give them some money and all their problems go away.

karlexceed

Post by karlexceed » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:25 pm

As a person in the IT field, I can agree with what you said. Though Windows' support is basically all on the third-party side; good luck getting help from Microsoft themselves... Which bodes well from ReactOS's future, when it's more widely known.

I also know personally the frustration of calling into a support line (while running on Ubuntu), just to have their call tree stop immediately when I say, "no I can't do that", or "my system doesn't have that." Which again, if ReactOS can get the common recognition of being "pretty much just Windows", then I think you'll find more third parties mentioning it in their features lists or something like, "Cross platform! Runs on Windows 7/8.1/10/ReactOS, MacOS, and Linux!"

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:57 pm

karlexceed wrote:As a person in the IT field, I can agree with what you said. Though Windows' support is basically all on the third-party side; good luck getting help from Microsoft themselves... Which bodes well from ReactOS's future, when it's more widely known.

I also know personally the frustration of calling into a support line (while running on Ubuntu), just to have their call tree stop immediately when I say, "no I can't do that", or "my system doesn't have that." Which again, if ReactOS can get the common recognition of being "pretty much just Windows", then I think you'll find more third parties mentioning it in their features lists or something like, "Cross platform! Runs on Windows 7/8.1/10/ReactOS, MacOS, and Linux!"
Good point. Reminds me of the mass storage device error code thread. Someone asked about if it was okay if they had to put their box in IDE compatibility mode to get it to run ReactOS without the error. I quickly recognized their symptoms as that of not having the RAID or AHCI driver properly installed. I said that if it were Windows, I'd have recommended a repair install using the driver floppy or CD and pressing F6 to load additional drivers. But I also said that what they did was okay too.

So what I'm saying is that I agree that support techs can give the same advice as they would for Windows, and without too much deviation.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Konata

Post by Konata » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Well, when I say "support from Microsoft" I just mean it's regularly tested and upgraded, and in fact you can even pay Microsoft to continue testing and upgrading unsupported operating systems if you absolutely need that. Open source projects don't really have that, they just update whenever the developer feels like it. Additionally, Microsoft cares about backwards compatibility more than anyone else, so that also counts as support where many others don't offer it, or even outright disregard it. I'm sure ReactOS will become more appealing to the industry once it's big enough to hire full-time developers to promise regularly-scheduled patches. But, yeah, good point, ReactOS is so similar to Windows, a lot of support already works on it! That's a very good selling point.