does ROS phone home

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

XPftw

does ROS phone home

Post by XPftw »

hello im looking into ReactOS because after many years of Windows i no longer want to use it because of all the calling home to Microsoft that it does. I dont want customized ads, i want privacy, so if MS thought they would get more money out of me that way they were wrong.

So my question is, does ReactOS phone home much if at all? If it does what exactly do i need to do to modify it to maintain privacy? has anyone run Wireshark on it? :)
Thankyou very much

Konata

Re: does ROS phone home

Post by Konata »

Windows "phones home" to send crash and error reporting back to Microsoft so they can continue to improve Windows. Aside from information about the components of your overall system, this information is entirely anonymous. This service can be disabled in the Services control applet under "Windows Error Reporting Service". As for the mechanisms that collect information to customize advertisements for you, this is exclusive to Windows 10 and can easily be turned off. As in, not only can you easily turn it off in the system settings, but you can just use a previous version of Windows and not have to worry about it either.

ReactOS doesn't send any information to any kind of server, in fact it's networking still needs a few improvements. The community had been considering the inclusion of a similar error reporting functionality for ReactOS like the one in Windows, but, nothing happened yet. This would help ReactOS out quite a lot, just like it helped Windows improve.

It really irks me when people find out Windows is sending information to Microsoft but don't bother to see exactly what that information is or what system services are actually sending that information for what reasons, and instead just deem the entire product unusable under their own ignorance. This is really basic and publicly-known information, you can easily modify Windows to do whatever you want it to. Like this is literally a few web searches to find this stuff out.

XPftw

Post by XPftw »

It really irks me when people find out Windows is sending information to Microsoft but don't bother to see exactly what that information is or what system services are actually sending that information for what reasons
What really irks me is when people don't understand that it doesn't even matter what information is being sent - simply having metadata like your IP and time leaked can be problem enough, and Windows 10 does this in a whole range of (often extremely subtle) ways, yes - even if you've opted out of _everything_. This isn't my personal opinion - please take some time to watch Wireshark (free) on your opted-out-of-everything Windows 10 box. You may be using Tor through a VPN but your system is still saying hello to Microsoft like any normal day. Then also go through the list of ~100+ services and tell me how many you can actually account for. (It was very refreshing to see ROS's Services list with only a dozen :)

CircularTriangle06

Post by CircularTriangle06 »

The only seemingly awkward thing about ReactOS and internet is that Wine Gecko integration on install - as setup time is a bit inconvenient for connection. Just personal opinion. Also... the thing that Winetest doesn't run that good without internet access (multiple long timeouts, then possible halt)? which can be inconvenient for offline computers...

Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

CircularTriangle06 wrote:The only seemingly awkward thing about ReactOS and internet is that Wine Gecko integration on install - as setup time is a bit inconvenient for connection. Just personal opinion.
This, however, is only a problem with nightly builds. At least the past releases had Wine Gecko already on the iso, so there is no need to download it at install time.

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Advertisement and crash reporting are coupled tightly on Windows 10.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Crash reporting would greatly help ROS, but it would only help for later crashes (after network support is loaded). The serial port reports are still needed for the earlier problems.