Use reactos explorer + reactOS NTVDM on Windows

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stakhanov

Use reactos explorer + reactOS NTVDM on Windows

Post by Stakhanov »

Hello everyone I recently had an idea, it might be silly, don't be mad at me.

Could it be possible to make an easy to setup program that would replace windows 10's explorer with the reactOS one and at the same time bring NTVDM support with it? This way we would benefit the best of the reactOS experience so far within Windows, I think it could also help bring attention to the project...

Of course that program would be as easy to install as to uninstall for the most people to try out things as they want.

hbelusca
Developer

Re: Use reactos explorer + reactOS NTVDM on Windows

Post by hbelusca »

You cannot have NTVDM back into windows 10 x64/arm/... (I'm not talking about the x86 here), at least in a form such that it automatically opens when you start a 16-bit app, because it needs some code that core dlls miss in those versions of windows. On the contrary it may work on a x86 windows 10. What you would want instead is some kind of "standalone" version of NTVDM (one that you need to call manually on the 16-bit app you want to start): this is doable at the moment with a compile switch.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I am sure I have said this before but strangely, ReactOS explorer on Windows is quite a draw to me and might be to others as well. It might almost be considered a product in itself by Windows customisers. Allowing Windows users to revert to a classic explorer and drawing attention to ReactOS at the same time could be a useful thing - a marketing tool for ReactOS.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I agree. Why not compile these 2 ReactOS components to be used by Windows 8+ people? Like others have already said, it would help raise project awareness.

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Am i right ? Is this "standalone" version of NTDVM something like "dosbox" - but with additional a comand line ?

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
imho ReactOS explorer on windows 7 + will be useful [joke]the best way to fix windows 10 you need a windows 98 boot cd boot to the command line and type format c:\ [/joke]