0.4.0 release branch!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

0.4.0 release branch!

Post by oldman »

Here you are, what you have been waiting for!
akhaldi committed changeset 70000 to the ReactOS Main Repository project

[EPIC] * Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the 0.4.0 release branch!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
ctasan

Re: 0.4.0 release branch!

Post by ctasan »

I still think it's early to do that.

At least recent audio regressions may be fixed, new ws2_32 and related Internet components may be landed, new charmap/msconfig/devmgmt may be landed (or next release).
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

If 0.4.0 is revision 70000, I think it's too early too. Now our dev revision is 70043, so I think we should use revision 71000 on version 0.4.0.
Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
[ external image ] [ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

You don't seem to know what a branch is. We continue the dev in trunk and then we merge the changes into the branch (unless some breaking change happens in the trunk, in which case either it is solved quickly and we continue, or, we let it rest in trunk, while we cherry-pick other stuff from the trunk and put into the branch), in order to keep the branch in a working state, while having the supplementary fixes.

And in any case, you won't have USB+network+Mm+graphics+... in the 0.4.0 release.
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

S̶o̶,̶ ̶0̶.̶4̶.̶0̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶S̶o̶u̶n̶d̶,̶ ̶U̶S̶B̶?̶
Last edited by henrytang5247 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
[ external image ] [ external image ]
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Sound and USB is there, but still with it's edges. We donthave real wireless support btw
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Hmm... now that I see this picture (from Henry's post, coming from the community website), I think it would have been better to have written "0.4" or "0.4.x" instead of 0.4.0.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

To be fair, it says "support", not "100% flawlessly implemented" :) But yeah, vgal is the first one to dig into USB after janderwald and mjmartin have stopped, if I remember correctly.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

If the team's intention is to release 0.4.0 by the end of the year, then there is effectively zero chance that they'll hit all of the milestones that were originally proposed. USB and sound does not have anyone actively working on them and unless Thomas pulls off a miracle I doubt there's enough time for him to finish implementing and testing the section code that would then permit dropping of the old memory manager. The last discussion regarding release that I was involved in, the majority of the developers seemed more interested in making sure that the new explorer's formal debut did not happen in a 0.3.x release than with actually making sure 0.4.0 hit all of the proposed milestones. I'd say that's what's driving the release of 0.4.0 than any other actual consideration, otherwise the team could have spun out several interim 0.3.x releases over the last year.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

I have no plan of ROS, but I have a strong feeling in my stomage....

0.4.0 won't come this year (what a pity !),

but the chance is very high, that - at the latest - under the christmas tree 2016 (!) there will be ROS 0.4 !

It's no use, only to glue a "sticker" 0.4 on a not mature version of ROS, only to have a release 0.4 !
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, I tend to think sticking 0.4 on it this early is a bit like a school phenomenon known as "social promotion." That is when a child is not ready for the next grade, but that the teachers are just tired of them. The problem there is when the next teacher feels the same way, and then there are problems such as those discussed in books such as, "Why Johnny Still Cant Read." (To stay on topic, the title could just as easily be, "Why ReactOS Still Can't Boot on Real Hardware.")

However, the team and foundation will do what it wants, and we are to respect their decisions. If it helps support or funding, then it really doesn't matter what it is called, so long as the job gets done.
AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

ctasan wrote:I still think it's early to do that.
Do you honestly think that after 9 years (and specifically August 27, 2006, when 0.3.0 was released) it still makes sense to hold on to the 0.4.0 ?
ctasan wrote:At least recent audio regressions may be fixed, new ws2_32 and related Internet components may be landed, new charmap/msconfig/devmgmt may be landed (or next release).
Please note that it takes a great amount of time and efforts to fix audio regression, ws2_32 bringup and so on, assuming we find those who could step up and actually do that work, which means no time estimation. Do you honestly think it's better to wait an unknown amount of time, until the list you mentioned above is sorted out, before releasing the 0.4.0 ?
henrytang5247 wrote:If 0.4.0 is revision 70000, I think it's too early too. Now our dev revision is 70043, so I think we should use revision 71000 on version 0.4.0.
I believe hbelusca addressed your concern, although you should know better because this is not the first time we went through the release process, and in every single time, we picked every single improvement/fix that wouldn't regress or harm the branch, from trunk revisions after branching.
wildschwein wrote:It's no use, only to glue a "sticker" 0.4 on a not mature version of ROS, only to have a release 0.4 !
PurpleGurl wrote:Yes, I tend to think sticking 0.4 on it this early is a bit like a school phenomenon known as "social promotion." That is when a child is not ready for the next grade, but that the teachers are just tired of them. The problem there is when the next teacher feels the same way, and then there are problems such as those discussed in books such as, "Why Johnny Still Cant Read." (To stay on topic, the title could just as easily be, "Why ReactOS Still Can't Boot on Real Hardware.")
I don't understand, do you think that 0.4.0 is not significantly better than 0.3.0 ? or even 0.3.17 ?
PurpleGurl wrote:However, the team and foundation will do what it wants, and we are to respect their decisions. If it helps support or funding, then it really doesn't matter what it is called, so long as the job gets done.
The foundation is merely an entity that allows us to cut some red tape and focus on doing development and it's very strictly regulated by German law so it can't really do what it wants and it doesn't influence any development decisions in any way.

The team saw merit in going into the 0.4.x era after staying more than 9 years in the 0.3.x series, and that team is an group that anyone can join. All is needed is to send a couple quality code patches to JIRA and quickly enough the newcomer becomes a ReactOS Developer with svn commit access and so on.

I do appreciate your respect but what I would appreciate more is an understanding that this decision didn't come lightly. Time is going by, we really tried to meet all the goals we dreamed of but couldn't, and the 0.4.x series is nothing special technically as it's also an alpha quality series, so it's not like we're claiming ReactOS suddenly became production quality.

I have been working with Tim Crawford, Victor and Jared on a series of articles to serve as updates to the IndieGoGo campaign backers, and the shell update (of 3 parts) is published in the Community Website. I really hope that when you read it, keeping in mind that hopefully more than 10 additional updates of this type will come out, all of them talking about what we did ever since the campaign ended, you will quickly see that looking back at 0.3.x, ReactOS progressed and it deserves to enter the 0.4.x era.

Admittedly I expected a much more exciting and motivating reaction to the branching than a "meh, it's too early" type, but I'm an optimist so I'll say it's not too late, it's never too late! ;)
middings

Post by middings »

AmineKhaldi wrote:Admittedly I expected a much more exciting and motivating reaction to the branching than a "meh, it's too early" type, but I'm an optimist so I'll say it's not too late, it's never too late! ;)
I am excited by the 0.4.0 branching and the visible forward progress that it represents. Had any 0.3.x releases occurred in 2015 I would have applauded them too.

I agree that the current trunk is much better than 0.3.17. The new ReactOS (desktop) Explorer is a step forward, the NTVDM is much improved, and many fixes and feature expansions have been made across a broad front of ReactOS development (sometimes quantity has a quality of its own). I was hoping there would be a 0.3.18 release last spring. When the tempo of revisions jumped up after the ReactOS Hackfest, I assumed the dev team's attention was focused on all those good revisions and that was reason enough for postponing any 0.3.x release.

Perhaps the current roadmap is interpreted by some to require 1.0.0 to follow 0.9.x. If that is the case, the reluctance to name a release 0.4.0 is understandable to me because such a name implies that there are only five remaining big subsystems to be finished before ReactOS is feature-complete and ready for production use. Or, maybe I misunderstand completely. Perhaps all the talk elsewhere about the Community Edition being based on 0.4.0 is driving the desire to make 0.4.0 meet all the milestones hoped for at the time of the IndieGoGo campaign.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

wildschwein wrote:I have no plan of ROS, but I have a strong feeling in my stomage....

but the chance is very high, that - at the latest - under the christmas tree 2016 (!) there will be ROS 0.4 !

It's no use, only to glue a "sticker" 0.4 on a not mature version of ROS, only to have a release 0.4 !
You'd be surprised how soon 0.4 will be released :)
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

vicmarcal wrote:
wildschwein wrote:I have no plan of ROS, but I have a strong feeling in my stomage....

You'd be surprised how soon 0.4 will be released :)
And if people would read the October meeting minutes they would understand. But I'm not tell anything. You'll need to read them for yourself. :P

About 6 days ago we had commit 70000 and now we have reached 70198. 198 commits in the span of a week. That's pretty impressive. I know most of it's the WINE sync but maybe bugs/tests have been fixed. Really impressive.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]