This month in ReactOS (2015-10)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Re: This month in ReactOS (2015-10)

Post by Swyter »

florian wrote:Nice overview. Thank you!

In order to simplify your summary: I wouldn't need the list of contributors. But just my two cents...
Well, I appreciate being in the list, and is certainly an incentive, at least for me.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.

florian

Post by florian »

Swyter wrote:
florian wrote:Nice overview. Thank you!

In order to simplify your summary: I wouldn't need the list of contributors. But just my two cents...
Well, I appreciate being in the list, and is certainly an incentive, at least for me.
Absolutely - and by the way thanks to you, too.
But hopefully it's not too much work as I like to read next month a second summary ;)

tcrawford

Post by tcrawford »

This was partly inspired by This Week in Rust, a weekly newsletter for the Rust programming language.

Since this is the first month I'm doing this, "Contributors" is a full list of any non-developer who had a patch committed to Core. In the future, this can be shortened to just "New Contributors". It serves as a marker for involvement from the community (with relation to Core, in this case). The idea is that we should be picking up new contributors every month, so this list should never be empty.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I'm not opposed to the current "Contributors" scheme, either, or at least saying something like "314 commits (r69421-r69767) from 16 developers and 21 contributors".

I also like this statement from linter.ru (from Russian article at the end of the first post) :-)
Relex wrote:Measurements have shown that Linter running on ReactOS yields performance gain by 10-15% compared with Windows XP on identical hardware configuration.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Black_Fox wrote:I'm not opposed to the current "Contributors" scheme, either, or at least saying something like "314 commits (r69421-r69767) from 16 developers and 21 contributors".

I also like this statement from linter.ru (from Russian article at the end of the first post) :-)
Relex wrote:Measurements have shown that Linter running on ReactOS yields performance gain by 10-15% compared with Windows XP on identical hardware configuration.
\o/ See http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 48#p118548

knowmad

Post by knowmad »

Very Nice! How about somehow posting this in some form on the front page as well?

mametoc

Post by mametoc »

I think is great. But only in the forum...? i know maybe is demands much, but something like via RSS too?.

dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

mametoc wrote:I think is great. But only in the forum...? i know maybe is demands much, but something like via RSS too?.
The problem is I believe, that the site and the forum are two different technologies so it isn't easy to display a particular part of the forum on the site - instead they need to take a feed from a particular thread... I'm not sure if this forum has the capability to provide that.

If the forum was provided as part of Drupal's own-built in forum capabilities it would be more straightforward to do this but the overall forum capabilities might be more limited. In any case it would need a complete migration from one forum technology to another, so I doubt it is going to happen soon. I'm sure we'll get some feedback regarding the proposed (?) new site soon.

Forgive me if I am wrong on this.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Pleeeeease, do this every month !
This could be a nice additon to the "historic" EPIC-WIN Thread

justincase

Post by justincase »

florian wrote:In order to simplify your summary: I wouldn't need the list of contributors. But just my two cents...
Swyter wrote:Well, I appreciate being in the list, and is certainly an incentive, at least for me.
tcrawford wrote:Since this is the first month I'm doing this, "Contributors" is a full list of any non-developer who had a patch committed to Core. In the future, this can be shortened to just "New Contributors". It serves as a marker for involvement from the community (with relation to Core, in this case). The idea is that we should be picking up new contributors every month, so this list should never be empty.
A: It'll be more work to make sure you don't re-list patch contributors from previous months than to simply list all of the 'non-developers' thanked in commit messages.
B: If you don't list repeat patch contributors, then the incentive that getting listed in such a post adds towards fixing bugs and submitting patches would then be lost for people who have contributed before.
I would like to see new contributors every month as much as the next person, but I'd like just as much that we keep the contributors we have.
knowmad wrote:Very Nice! How about somehow posting this in some form on the front page as well?
mametoc wrote:I think is great. But only in the forum...? i know maybe is demands much, but something like via RSS too?.
dizt3mp3r wrote:The problem is I believe, that the site and the forum are two different technologies so it isn't easy to display a particular part of the forum on the site - instead they need to take a feed from a particular thread... I'm not sure if this forum has the capability to provide that.

If the forum was provided as part of Drupal's own-built in forum capabilities it would be more straightforward to do this but the overall forum capabilities might be more limited. In any case it would need a complete migration from one forum technology to another, so I doubt it is going to happen soon. I'm sure we'll get some feedback regarding the proposed (?) new site soon.

Forgive me if I am wrong on this.
I think the indication was that this kind of post would make good content for a regular blog post or newsletter entry. So if tcrawford plans to make such a digest every month (please do), perhaps it could be posted to one of the those instead of "just" the forum. This would allow for people visiting the front page to see regular updates about what's happening with ReactOS meaning (hopefully) less 'Is ReactOS dead/dying?' posts, and (potentially) less 'ReactOS needs more updates!' posts, and it could also mean a (relatively) easy way to get an RSS feed of them too.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

tcrawford

Post by tcrawford »

This is now posted on the Community website: http://community.reactos.org/index.php/ ... -reactos-1

mametoc

Post by mametoc »

wildschwein wrote:Pleeeeease, do this every month !
This could be a nice additon to the "historic" EPIC-WIN Thread
Great.

roytam

Post by roytam »

tcrawford wrote:This is now posted on the Community website: http://community.reactos.org/index.php/ ... -reactos-1
I wonder why there is no January in ros?

tcrawford

Post by tcrawford »

I haven't been keeping up with the project for January or February. Typically I work on these during downtime at work, and I currently have none. (The Steam winter sale has also taken my free time at home.)

roytam

Post by roytam »

tcrawford wrote:I haven't been keeping up with the project for January or February. Typically I work on these during downtime at work, and I currently have none. (The Steam winter sale has also taken my free time at home.)
Okay ;)