Shorten Start Menu Shortcuts

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which one?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:43 am

As is
69%
Both short
6%
Short RAPPS
19%
Short Explorer
6%

Total votes: 16

Pi_User5

Shorten Start Menu Shortcuts

Post by Pi_User5 »

The shortcuts in the start menu say ReactOS Explorer and ReactOS Applications Manager. It makes the startmenu grow uselessly. I'm thinking, we could do all short, short RAPPS or short explorer. What's your thoughts? If you agree, please leave the translation for Explorer with your comment. RAPPS already has a short version.

[ external image ]
Last edited by Pi_User5 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
Pi_User5

Re: Shorten Start Menu Shortcuts

Post by Pi_User5 »

Personally, I think short RAPPS is better and leave ReactOS Explorer as is.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
middings

Post by middings »

Pi_User5 wrote:(... I thought these shortcuts in Windows and not ReactOS).
I do not understand.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

middings wrote:
Pi_User5 wrote:(... I thought these shortcuts in Windows and not ReactOS).
I do not understand.
Neither did I so I removed it. :D

[ external image ]
middings

Post by middings »

I am more concerned about the depth of the menu trees than the width of the names in the menus.

I prefer ReactOS Explorer because it parallels Windows Explorer.
I prefer RAPPS over Applications Manager or ReactOS Applications Manager because RAPPS is its most commonly used name here in the ReactOS forums and in the ReactOS Wiki.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

middings wrote:I am more concerned about the depth of the menu trees than the width of the names in the menus.

I prefer ReactOS Explorer because it parallels Windows Explorer.
I prefer RAPPS over Applications Manager or ReactOS Applications Manager because RAPPS is its most commonly used name here in the ReactOS forums and in the ReactOS Wiki.
I prefer Applications Manager but new people might not know what RAPPS stands for. I'll change it to Applications Manager if everyone agrees.

[ external image ]
Konata

Post by Konata »

I like them both short. But I agree that changing RAPPs to Application Manager is the more critical one.
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

Shouldn't the application manager be an integral part of App Installation and Removal control panel applet?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

dsp8195 wrote:Shouldn't the application manager be an integral part of App Installation and Removal control panel applet?
Currently, ROS Application Manager IS that applet.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Applications Manager makes more sense to the uninitiated so it is more likely to be used.

Regardless of how big it is, has anyone seen the new Windows 10 start? It takes up lots of real estate on the desktop, Reactos Start Menu looks positively slim and lightweight.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

Black_Fox wrote:
dsp8195 wrote:Shouldn't the application manager be an integral part of App Installation and Removal control panel applet?
Currently, ROS Application Manager IS that applet.
Then why its icon located right next to Explorer? (=~=)''
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

It's a standalone app and ROS selling point, that's why :-) But it's also started by the "add/remove programs" CPL, so devs don't have to duplicate their efforts on two apps doing one thing.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Voters here, need to think about the wider audience! New comers will not understand that RAPPS is an application to install other applications, but it is immediately understandable that Applications Manager is for managing applications.

If you want ReactOS to be successful, then think of ways to make it easier for others to use and not just choose something because you just happen to like it.

The only item that can be safely shortened, is Administrative Tools, because most people would know that Admin means Administrative.

Edit: I am not suggesting that any menu item be shortened.
Last edited by oldman on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Admin is no word, it's a abbreviation.
If you want it easy for the user, why should we short down anything then? I still don't get the sense behind the whole thing here at all. ReactOS Application Manager is not RAPPS and not Application Manager, it IS ReactOS Application Manager.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

EmuandCo wrote:Admin is no word, it's a abbreviation.
If you want it easy for the user, why should we short down anything then? I still don't get the sense behind the whole thing here at all. ReactOS Application Manager is not RAPPS and not Application Manager, it IS ReactOS Application Manager.
But the fact that the user is running ReactOS cuts it away, so I think Application Manager is fully OK