Python 2.7.9, PyQt 4.11.3, PyQt 5.4 work on 0.3.17

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

yennar

Python 2.7.9, PyQt 4.11.3, PyQt 5.4 work on 0.3.17

Post by yennar »

The default ReactOS shell is not nice-looking and always crashing.

Therefore I wrote some PyQt code for a stable, fancy file explorer.

Python 2.7.9 , PyQt 4.11.3(Qt 4.8.6), PyQt 5.4 which are the lastet library rev are used and work well.

Also the theme render is GTK 2.10 for Windows.

[ external image ]
oldman

Re: Python 2.7.9, PyQt 4.11.3, PyQt 5.4 work on 0.3.17

Post by oldman »

Very nice, but, I don't think you will get it accepted into the ReactOS source tree! The reason is, that it is based on third party software and is not a native Win api, which would mean bundling Python and QT with the OS; they want to keep ReactOS lean and let the user down-load whatever apps they need.

How would you like to stress test Python in ReactOS? It needs someone like you that knows the language, to test and report errors in Jira. I have tried to run moinmoin, the server starts, but then Python starts writing error messages, then returns the user to the command prompt.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
yennar

Post by yennar »

I totally agree with you on the first point.
Actually what I am going to do is to 'port' foundation libraries for more fancy applications to make a better ReactOS eco-system.

I tried moinmoin just now and ran it and found Error messages from Python Socket Library.
Guess the reason is from Python itself. The solution maybe a python library patch.

(ReactOS 0.3.17/Python 2.7.9/MoinMoin 1.9.8)
oldman wrote:Very nice, but, I don't think you will get it accepted into the ReactOS source tree! The reason is, that it is based on third party software and is not a native Win api, which would mean bundling Python and QT with the OS; they want to keep ReactOS lean and let the user down-load whatever apps they need.

How would you like to stress test Python in ReactOS? It needs someone like you that knows the language, to test and report errors in Jira. I have tried to run moinmoin, the server starts, but then Python starts writing error messages, then returns the user to the command prompt.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

You may have a look at the daily builds too, concerning the shell...
yennar

Post by yennar »

Yes...
I just find there will be a nice new shell...
hbelusca wrote:You may have a look at the daily builds too, concerning the shell...