OffByOne Browser

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

avryhof

OffByOne Browser

Post by avryhof » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:59 am

I know it's not Open Source, Gecko Based or any of that other Wonderfull stuff, but the OffByOne Browser is small, fast, and graphical.

Unfortunately, it locks everything up when it loads. Perhaps it should be the next step after Lynx though, since it isn't real complicated (compared to Mozilla/Firefox)

Just a thought.

Harteex

Post by Harteex » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:59 am

Hehe what a coincidence, I actually tried OffByOne earlier today, and was gonna post about it.

If anyone wants the url: http://www.offbyone.com

Jaix
Moderator Team

Off By One

Post by Jaix » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:10 am

I run OffByOne regularly, and I think it´s a good choise for a simple surfing, with a bit of lobbying, perhaps the programmer will release it as GPL?

It was a while ago since something happened on the off by one site (V3.4.a 09-Dec-02) about 2 years. Shouldn´t we try to get him release it for ReactOS?

avryhof

OffByOne Browser

Post by avryhof » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:23 pm

The only problem with releasing the OffByOne browser under the GPL, or otherwise is the fact that OffByOne is just a demo of the Webster control (the dll), which the author is trying to Sell. So, while it's all fine and dandy that OffByOne is freeware, the author probably won't be GPLing or releasing it as OSS any time soon.

I was just suggesting tu try OffByOne since it is known to run well under subsets of Win32 (BartPE).

I also tried Kmeleon, since it skips all the chrome used by Mozilla and Firefox, unfortunately it wouldn't even display.

After that, I tried PSPad and Hammerhead. PSPad didn't load (though it will be great for making HTML dev boxes when ReactOS runs it) and Hammerhead loaded and froze the system just like OffByOne.

My guess is that they are trying to access things that don't exist yet; like a compatible network card on my P-III 750 or a Sound API under ReactOS

Anyway, I posted just thinking that OffByOne would be an easier goal to shoot for at first than Firefox.

ma-games.de

Post by ma-games.de » Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:27 pm

I don't knoe PSPad and Hammerhead. Are they OpenSource? Do you got URLs to these Browsers?

somebody

Post by somebody » Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:44 pm

ma-games.de wrote: Are they OpenSource? Do you got URLs to these Browsers?
http://www.offbyone.com/, but last update was - December 9, 2002. And standard HTML 3.2 - is outdated.

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx » Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:20 pm

OffByOne does not complie to the standards and would not be able to replace the role of IE or its ActiveX control like something else like the Mozilla ActiveX controls.

Headstrong

Post by Headstrong » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:10 pm

FYI

http://browsers.evolt.org/ is the biggest list of broswers I now one, surly one might work

Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:28 pm

Try Amaya, it already worked with some bugs in 0.2.4 and it is VERY compliant with w3c (in fact is their browser).