reactos.org "Revolution" link banner

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

laurflorin

reactos.org "Revolution" link banner

Post by laurflorin »

Hi... About the Revolution banner... Anyone of you clicked on it lately?

If you did not, you should know that it still points to the Community edition INDIEGOGO website... For myself that wouldn't be such of a problem, but I guess that if a ROS newcommer came and clicked on it, and see the finished indiegogo fundraising from quite some time, there would be 2 things that he may be thinking:

1) project is dormant/abandoned (esp. since no news were posted for a long time)
2) lack of professionalism (removing an obsolete link is really no brain surgery)

My humble suggestion would be to redirect the Revolution link back to community.reactos.org...
Although there weren't many updates there either,
But it's better..

It is in the project's PR team's best judgement what to do here. But I am sure that all (or at least most) of you have the same view as me here.

No pun intended. Just a suggestion.
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.
livestrong2109

Re: reactos.org "Revolution" link banner

Post by livestrong2109 »

Its a decade long trend for the community to go long gaps without too much of a concern for the general public. Many really do try very hard but its not always easy for someone to dumb down what is the rapidly evolving beast of ROS. Look at it this way Microsoft pays devs. These guys pour their hearts and souls into this project just for the fun and the challenge.

Its really hard to get someone to actually focus on PR and regardless of how many times we launch campaigns to make it stick, things really just never do. We always start some PR stunt which deliver some minor success and a decent run at funding and then it falls apart until someone nags... "HEY! Didn't we do this last year and make a ton of money".

The devs are really good at what they do, but all you really have to do is make a bar graph of the number of open bugs over time to really see where the problems are. It is and always will be 95% about churning new code and expanding features. I'm not saying this is everyone. We do have devs that just go around fixing things, but thats not the common case.

My advice for you is continue posting when you see something that needs to be fixed... and don't be surprised if the site is silent for 2-3 months at a time, This is very normal. BTW you might want to bug someone in the IRC if you really need something looked at or changed.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
laurflorin

Post by laurflorin »

Don't get me wrong, I really respect the devs for what they do and by no
means am I trying to put pressure on them. But there are times (like this one)
when there are better alternative paths to be taken (and many of them do not require
much effort or time to be done), while keeping a professional look and attitude for
potential new-comers (who knows, maybe they really like how it's presented and they
may know someone who can donate/code/volunteer - or even volunteer themselves if they
have the skills)

What I am saying here is that the conservative every-now-and-then way of keeping
people updates regarding the project will not bring any good benefits from it. Keeping things
"internal" will not bring much progress for ReactOS, in my opinion.
AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

Hi,

I applied your suggestion (http://code.reactos.org/changelog/web) and it will be up on the live website soon!

Thank you! ;)
laurflorin

Post by laurflorin »

Thanks very much, Amine for taking this into consideration :)

I hope that people realize that keeping a project popular for the masses can be realized
through professionalism. ReactOS needs professionalism, because it is an awesome project.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Clicking on the 'Revolution' still takes me to indiegogo and I have cleared the cache etc from my browser!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Heis Spiter

Post by Heis Spiter »

It's now online.
Pierre Schweitzer (aka Heis Spiter)
ReactOS kernel developer.
ReactOS systems administrator.