How likely is that reactos will do perminit damage

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

frog-o

Post by frog-o »

I know that there is always a chance that the os can do perminate damage.

(I beleave that even the stable linux kernel had a problem with distroing(killing) some cd-rom drives( Please dot quote me on that I not 100% sure)) but

My question is how likely is it to wreck my hardware in it current state. I download it and compiled it but the fact that reactos is pre-alpa worry's me. I would really like to run it just to see how far you come but don't want to wreck anything.

dose it use stable lib of someone elses work or is all of reactos in the alpa state. Buy just looking over the form it almost look like you using some of linux code for the drivers.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Now if you cannot risk your hardware their is a reason why reactos is provided with QEMU images. Use the qemu it will protect you machine from harm reactos will run slower but its safe.

One of the Stable Linux kernels had the problem that some dvd/cd rom drives did not follow spec. The result was a block of incorrect data written to the flash of the drive. Drive did not work due to stuffed flash. If you had a makers fix program or know where to plug into the drive or remove the flash all of those drives were recoverable. They were not damaged but disabled due to a bad flash same thing would happen with a power failing while flashing. Most of those makers provided linux people with replacement. It was their fault for not obeying spec.

Very quickly fixed. Using any old os ie Windows 3.11 with a old driver ran the same risk.

It Alpha not a nuke. Risks are quite a few. Video cards getting overclocked not likely due to standard Vesa Interface being used.

Most problems will be with hardware reactos indentify but contations a strange alteration from the interface spec reactos is using. Note even Windows suffers this from time to time it just get swept under the carpet.

Ok next bigest risk is filesystem damage due to reactos crashing at the wrong time. Really Windows XP is able to do that too but not as often as reactos. Most important is to have a backup.

Alpha is a risk always is. Most of the core driver parts have not been tested for 12 months and against a broad range of hardware to make sure its right.

frik85
Developer

Re: How likely is that reactos will do perminit damage

Post by frik85 »

frog-o wrote:[...] but the fact that reactos is pre-alpa worry's me. I would really like to run it [...]
We changed the text from "pre-alpha" to "alpha" on the website frontpage. It's not easy to sum-up the current state, but we believe that "alpha" reflect the current status best.
You can download a VMware player or QEMU image and test ReactOS.

Jaix
Moderator Team

If shit happens on a dual boot system

Post by Jaix »

If something happens on a dual boot system (windows or dos) there are two things that can fix most problems:

1.) Restore MBR by running the "FDISK /mbr" from a boot disk

2.) Restore the boot files by using the "SYS C:" command from the system boot floppy.

After this you can delete all ROS files from the DOS-prompt.
If you can not re-install ROS you can probably just delete the files in C:\ReactOS\System32\Config directory and you should be able to get a working system up n' running.

Dorian

Post by Dorian »

I know that there is always a chance that the os can do perminate damage.
i think you mean Permanent damage

time to run that spellchecker :roll:

permanent damage to what.. your nerves? or... (?)

it's not very likely that an OS will do physical damage to hardware

however a user may do damage if they unleash their fustrations by getting medieaval with peripherals :evil:

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

If you're installing ROS to a drive with other partitions on it, ROS may accidentally delete the other partitions. Backing up your MBR/partition table ( a snap in linux), if you know how to do it, is one way to safeguard against this damage though.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

The risk is quite small but i have found the VMware player is very close to real speed anyway and more convenient, although it will not replace testing on real hardware for your purposes it would probably be best (and with no risk to your system)

frog-o

Post by frog-o »

thank guy for your reply. I never had much luck with the form in the past and it please to see so many replys it greatly appreciated. thanks alot the info was helpful :D