Old Intel Atom netbooks(nettops)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Areso

Old Intel Atom netbooks(nettops)

Post by Areso »

Hello.
Does ReactOS 0.3.17 support old Intel Atom netbooks?
N230, N270, 330, 410, 570 and so on?
There are a few questions about it:
1) Is it correct, as I heard, "LiveCD doesn't start on usb-dvd" and are there no working LiveUSB flash?
2) Is there 3d graphical acceleration hardware support on those CPUs and ION (1st and 2nd gen)?

And, as I understand from search on forum, is there are still no Samba support?

Konata

Re: Old Intel Atom netbooks(nettops)

Post by Konata »

USB support is incomplete and driver support is incomplete, especially for 3D acceleration, sorry.
If you'd like to see if a computer is supported, check out this page. You can also search the forum.

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

There is Samba support, although it's through command line only. You need to download a package in RAPPS under Internet Network called "Samba TNG". Extract it to C:\ and then use the command prompt and type

Code: Select all

cd C:\samba-tng\bin
Then type in

smbclient \\PCNAME\SHARENAME -U USERNAME
and press enter. Type in your password and it should connect. You can then type in

DIR
to view all the files and folders. To transfer a folder, type in

get file.extension C:\file.extension
and press Enter. It should transfer the file and be at the place you typed in. An example would be

get cat.bmp C:\cat.bmp
. I know it's not integrated but it will have to do. Here is an older video in case you need more help: http://svn.reactos.org/videos/ros_030_smb.avi
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]

Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

You can boot ReactOS via PXE

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I also found a HybridCD burned to USB drive and if I select LiveCD in RAM, it will boot. A normal USB LiveCD would not boot on my Compaq nx6325 laptop, but when I use a HybridCD USB drive and select LiveCD in RAM, it boots no problem. Same with my Dell Inspiron 530s. A LiveCD and a USB LiveCD would not work but a HybridCD USB does boot and my USB mouse and keyboard works.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Pi_User5 wrote:
I also found a HybridCD burned to USB drive and if I select LiveCD in RAM, it will boot. A normal USB LiveCD would not boot on my Compaq nx6325 laptop, but when I use a HybridCD USB drive and select LiveCD in RAM, it boots no problem. Same with my Dell Inspiron 530s. A LiveCD and a USB LiveCD would not work but a HybridCD USB does boot and my USB mouse and keyboard works.
Yep, same here. When being loaded in RAM, things work because ReactOS recognizes that there is the ramdisk which is the boot device. But when booting directly from e.g. USB key or some of external CD drives (as in my case), the bootloader works (because it uses BIOS functions to talk with the hardware, and the BIOS knows how to deal with the external CD/USB), but when it comes to ReactOS that uses drivers to (try to) talk directly with the hardware (without using the BIOS), things start to not work properly, and as a result the external CD drive (or USB key) is not detected anymore, and no boot device is found, and then BSOD "IO1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" or some other "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" ....

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Yep, same here. When being loaded in RAM, things work because ReactOS recognizes that there is the ramdisk which is the boot device. But when booting directly from e.g. USB key or some of external CD drives (as in my case), the bootloader works (because it uses BIOS functions to talk with the hardware, and the BIOS knows how to deal with the external CD/USB), but when it comes to ReactOS that uses drivers to (try to) talk directly with the hardware (without using the BIOS), things start to not work properly, and as a result the external CD drive (or USB key) is not detected anymore, and no boot device is found, and then BSOD "IO1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" or some other "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" ....
If only there was a way to load the first stage setup to RAM. ReactOS would probably install really fast :D

[ external image ]

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

What are you using YUMI?
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer