[SHELL] Yet another testing challenge

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gonzoMD

[SHELL] Yet another testing challenge

Post by gonzoMD »

Dear community,

We can look back to an interesting year, full of innovations, surprises, bugfixes and new features.
One of the new features is the new shell, which will make the way free for the long wanted 0.4 version.

First of all, the team has to thank everybody, who did such impressive work of testing since the merge. Many bugs were fixed through your efforts. Others are still undiscovered or just not reported.
Many people say that it is already much better than the old one and IMHO they are totally right but to really impress others we have to polish every little corner.
What I mean are not the few missing features that the old shell had, but the new one is still missing. What we have to polish now are the existing features. Every thing you see should be reported and fixed before new features can be added.

This is the reason, why the one and only Amine Khaldi told me to announce another testing challenge for the shell.
Ask your mother, neighbour, hairdresser, or whoever if they would like to take a few minutes to test the shell for something strange, that wouldn't happen this way on a real windows.
Every test brings us further to 0.4

For the Tests we will take the revision r65847, here is a download link.

Before you report something, be sure to look if a similar report isn't already available. A list of shell related issues can be found here

If you find some issues inside this list, which are already fixed due to the merge of the new shell (some of them are very old), please report it too.
Newly found bugs should be reported each in an own Jira issue.

This thread is for discussion about help and coordination of the tests, PLEASE DO NOT REPORT ANY BUG IN THIS THREAD !!!

[ external image ]

I'll tell another time that missing features are not important at the moment. We need bugs in the existing stuff.
Please help to get a soon release.

You are the community, you are many, and together we are strong.

Best Regards ;)

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: [SHELL] Yet another testing challenge

Post by EmuandCo »

To have this important ask for assistance not die silently...
Anyone already testing the new shell? Right now there are still some bugs left for sure, just because it's a big part of completely new code. I would be very glad if as much ppl as possible would take part in testing and filing a few reports, at best with a few images and/or a error log at hangup or misbehavior. A detailed way to reproduce would be fine too. We are some devs of course and we test it too, but real users might find quirks we would not even notice at all, because we no longer perceive the errors at all ^^. So pleease, test, file reports and maybe mention the bug IDs in here. :-D Thx for your help.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I join :D just give me some days to test and report back :)

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Thank you, jonaspm :-D
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

One day JIRA I'll understand how to work with you... :lol:
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom

arlon1

Post by arlon1 »

= dear mr. gonzo ,
i just run and tested the last reactos 0.3.17 latest build of 2015, i'd say it's almost ready for the beta version compared to the very first release of 0.3.17, however the real issues and problems with the os especially with the bugs and other related fixes required becomes obvious when being run on old computers or computers with low specs( pentium 4 or much weaker hardware), so far the biggest issue i've encountered in running it on weak computers is the " drivers' very slow response or not responding at all especially the keyboard( there are times that i cant type when browsing to other sites and websites are sometimes overly ZOOMED-IN and can't be zoom-out but in much better computer i don't have much complain except for fixing few more bugs and sometimes it lags too, and the website certificate checking is fucking annoying , and i hope the developers will integrate reactos with one more browser other than internet explorer thats based on chromium

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I wonder whether this is still relevant and worthy of sticky status :-) Probably not, at least for a while.