ROS anticipation

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

diddykong

ROS anticipation

Post by diddykong » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:23 pm

I've been looking into Linux for about a year now, have tried alinux, Mepis and Linspire which comes closest to truly competeing with Windows. ROS really excites me.

From browsing the site and its FAQ's etc, there's a couple of things I hoped a few peeps could comment on in laymen terms, with a little more insight and simplicity.

1. Will support for most everyday computer processors such as P4, Centrino, Athlon etc. be provided, if so roughly by when? This isnt terribly clear, and hoped some light could be shed/views.

2. Ok its a frequent Q, but what are a few inside estimate hopes for a date of a full release? There must be a rought target or something? At current speeds approximately? I hope all current contributors continue to do so to this cause, and with there not being much awareness of ROS, I believe much more help is to be had!

3. Are there any rough idea's at least for marketing, promoting, spreading efforts? I'm a large contributor to SpreadFirefox.com and related activities which has prooved open source promotion and marketing is seriously effective, and about to get even bigger with upgrades. ROS should really capitilize on this and more promoting pushes for adoption, so the same can be achieved as deserved. Also to truly compete with Windows and bring down the cost of computing!

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:35 pm

1. Means ReactOS can run on a PC from i486 to any newer cpu.
with simple word running on all PC platform with a inetl 486 compatible cpu or higher.

2. It is imposble sasy a date or year when so call full release will come.

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:36 pm

I forget tell u we are aming on other cpu platform like PPC
and work are in progress

diddykong

Post by diddykong » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:39 pm

When I said laymens terms, I meant it. What you gave me doesnt mean much to me, or most novice computer users for that matter.

What about support for common P4, Centrino, Athlon processor computers that all shops are selling by the bucketload?

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:46 pm

What about support for common P4, Centrino, Athlon processor computers that all shops are selling by the bucketload?
Try more simple terms
all P4. all Centrino, all Athlon are intel 486 compatible

that mean with more simple terms ReactOS are compatible with thouse and many more.

the cpu need be intel 486 compatible.

diddykong

Post by diddykong » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:52 pm

Ok thanks. That really needs to be made more clearer on the site, terminology needs to be much more user friendly. I'm an intermediate Windows user who's willing to ask the questions when they should already be clear to any grandma or other person here right away, to stand any chance of progress in adoption.

So just the other points still open to comments, well all of them really...

BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner » Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:00 am

Just to clarify what GreatLord already said and add my 2 cent:

1. It works on 32 bit(not the new 64 ones) Intel type(so all the ones you listed) processors. As for other hardware, like video cards, that is our next goal after we finish networking.

2. Yeah, can't really say. But if I had to take a guess, 5ish years.

3. We don't really plan on stuff like that yet. We need to develop some more first.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:13 am

2. When it's ready. At the current exponential growth, you can guestimate around two to three years for a Win2k/XP compatible system. However I expect the number of new APIs being implemented to stop growing so quickly when the less common and documented APIs are left.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:46 am

BrandonTurner wrote: 2. Yeah, can't really say. But if I had to take a guess, 5ish years.
And I'm seceretly hoping it will be ready for home use in 1 year and busness use (at least embedded) in 2 years ...........

but my glass has always been half full ;)

Alkali

Post by Alkali » Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:37 am

Actually Ros does work on the AMD 64bit line in 32 bit legacy mode. I run both windows 32bit and Ros on real hardware.
However, im pretty sure BrandonTurner ment there is no native 64bit Ros as of yet.

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:57 am

hi
Brandon ReactOS is runing on any 64bits cpu that is interl compatible.

But it will run as 32bits mode.

64bits cpu supporting
32Bits apps and 64Bits apps
and ReactOS are writen as 32Bits

diddykong

Post by diddykong » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:39 pm

Well I sincerely hope current contributors continue to do so because this is such a big cause, and where its at. Tbh I dont even see Kubuntu competeing much and for once Linux is actually going somewhere and showing the power of open source.

Home use within 1 year, that be pretty stable then? I genuinely think there's much more help to be had to help things along and you should not be shy to really get out there a little and ask for help in all kinds of ways to this great cause. I mean all ways possible, accept any help that is offered.

Loads of people whom would not be interested in contributing to Linux, would be to this because its not just that, its creating a Windows competitor which will be fully compatible, securer, and free. That is huge and could revolutionise the IT industry home and work.