Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

justincase

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by justincase » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 am

Also WineIE & Browsers in general have little, if anything, to do with the shell-experiments branch which is the point of this thread.

Also, when can we expect another commit? I'm getting anxious. ( :lol: I feel like a digital druggy :? : "I need my ReactOS fix" :roll: )
Does anyone have any leads on how to fix the regression that's hampering gigaherz's progress? (or is gigaherz working around it to continue development?)
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

Hanneth

Post by Hanneth » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:29 pm

middings wrote:
Webunny wrote:640 K ought to be enough for anybody.
It's fun to laugh about that remark Bill Gates made about the original IBM-PC.

To be fair, one must remember that this was being said of a crippled machine that came with a 5 Mhz 8088 microprocessor hiding behind an 8-bit data bus, had one 360KiB floppy drive for mass storage (a second one was available for an extra charge), lacked a hard drive, had a Color Graphics Adapter (CGA) card with 16-color 320 by 200 resolution, and--like the Apple ][--came with Basic in ROM. Neither Minecraft nor Lotus 1-2-3 were yet available. At that time, if one had a real use case that required more RAM than the capacity of your mass storage device then one wouldn't be playing with an almost toy computer but rather one would be buying a small minicomputer. That minicomputer could not only be equipped with more RAM than a PC could hold, it had an operating system much superior to PC-DOS 1.0, could be equipped with a hard drive (something PC-DOS 1.0 didn't support), and had programming languages available for it that were much more powerful and more productive to program with than MS-Basic.

Bill Gates did not make his dismissive remark about the serious computers of the day that were shipped with much more memory than an IBM-PC could manage. A few years before IBM released its PC, Stanford University had taken delivery of an IBM System 370 303X mainframe for its academic computing center; it was equipped with a then-whopping 4MB of RAM, at least a GB of hard drive capacity, and a robotic tape library. (The details escape me but I remember the 4MB RAM and the tape library robot was impressive to watch.) Bill Gates had no complaints about that or any machines like it. And I'm sure that at whatever machines he used at the second-rate computer tech school he dropped out of, he always wished those machines had lots of RAM. :lol:
CGA cards were 320x200 4-color, EGA was 640×350 16-color (320x200 was more commonly used), VGA was 320x200 256-color (640x480 16-color).

On CGA the 4 colors were from a pallet of 16.
Though there was a way to create a 160×100 16 color mode by using some tricks in one of the text modes, or 8 color mode in 320x200, by switching pallets half way through a scan. Top of the screen would have 4 colors, the bottom could have 4 different colors. Also if you were outputting to a TV instead of an RGB monitor you could could get 16 colors from a possible 100 artifact colors.

On EGA the 16 colors were from a pallet of 64.

VGA is the most interesting adapter in how people used it. Technically the spec called for 320x200 256-colors, and 256k video RAM. The 256-color mode at this resolution would only take 64k of video RAM. People figured out how to unlock the rest of the ram and the resolution to either provide frame buffering, or higher resolutions. Max resolution on a regular VGA card was basically 640x400 with 256-colors. Tough there were many variation on resolutions used.

Webunny

Post by Webunny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 am

EmuandCo wrote:As already mentioned... WIne iexplore is no feature complete browser yet. We would have to add browser selector like MS some time in the future, but right now we have rapps for that and more important tasks than user friendliness.

It is one of the most recurrent issues of noob users trying out ROS for the first time, however: "where is the browser?" From the stance of intuitive userfriendliness and general ease-of-use, it would be well-advised to incorporate a real, recognisable browser in ROS. I know these kind of arguments carry little weight around here, but I'm just saying as it is. Don't take my word for it; look at the youtube vids of first-ROS-tries: out of the first 3 I found, already two were searching for the browser. And they were NOT searching in 'rapps', btw. That is overlooked and says nothing to people trying the OS out, one must be realistic about that.

Put a reactOs explorer clearly visible out there in the menubar that actually looks and feels like a browser, and a lot of frustrated searching of new users will go away.
Last edited by Webunny on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

middings

Post by middings » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:28 am

Looks like discussing good things for 0.3.18 is a good topic for a new thread. ;)

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:03 am

Looks like discussing good things for 0.3.18 is a good topic for a new thread. ;)
0.3.18? :D Aren't we going to 0.4? :)
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 am

Pi_User5 wrote:
Yes,we are.

Webunny

Post by Webunny » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:08 pm

gonzoMD wrote:
Pi_User5 wrote:
Yes,we are.
Yes, we can! :mrgreen:

Are there any plans for incorporating a browser in the RCE? That would be great.

Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:08 pm

In an ideal world, I would suggest working on WIE to make it look and work like IE6, throw in a modern engine (maybe Webkit/Blink?), and maybe add tabs below the address bar.

Realistically, I would recommend adding the shortcuts to Internet Explorer in the Desktop, Quick Launch and Start Menu, so people can at least use it To Download Another Browser™.

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:16 am

In an ideal world, I would suggest working on WIE to make it look and work like IE6, throw in a modern engine (maybe Webkit/Blink?), and maybe add tabs below the address bar.

Realistically, I would recommend adding the shortcuts to Internet Explorer in the Desktop, Quick Launch and Start Menu, so people can at least use it To Download Another Browser™.
The rewrite might be able to be done when there are more developers available. I second the shortcuts.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:03 am

Oddjob64 wrote:In an ideal world, I would suggest working on WIE to make it look and work like IE6, throw in a modern engine (maybe Webkit/Blink?), and maybe add tabs below the address bar.

Pi_User5 wrote:

The rewrite might be able to be done when there are more developers available. I second the shortcuts.
I highly suggest you to write and send patches to Wine, then! :D But they may answer that it's just for "compatibility purposes" and that there are far better webbrowsers out there. And I would tend to answer the same thing concerning ROS: You can download some "nice" ones (firefox, opera...) from the RAPPs, and voilà.

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:44 am

I highly suggest you to write and send patches to Wine, then! :D But they may answer that it's just for "compatibility purposes" and that there are far better webbrowsers out there. And I would tend to answer the same thing concerning ROS: You can download some "nice" ones (firefox, opera...) from the RAPPs, and voilà.
I'll try to write some patches.

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:15 am

Browsers cannot be made for compatibility purposes, there are simple HTML viewing apps suited just to have 'HTML Help and HTA viewer'.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Most people cannot find RAPPS easily. Maybe we should add some more shortcuts for that too.

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Most people cannot find RAPPS easily. Maybe we should add some more shortcuts for that too.
There used to be a shortcut on the desktop in 0.3.15.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71C4YW88CTI

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Launch WINE Internet Explorer (make sure WINE Gecko is installed) and go to the file and click on Properties. Nothing happens. :( Download this file http://www.mediafire.com/download/a50oa ... ettings.7z and extract the file in ReactOS, launch the newly downloaded WINE Internet Explorer and the click on properties. The internet settings dialog will launch. I am working on the other menu function now.

Video: http://youtu.be/lUd8GUUgKQw