Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Z98 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:38 am


Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Webunny » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:43 pm

First post! I mean; interesting as always!

wojo664
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by wojo664 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:18 pm

Regarding Minecraft, if one has enough memory @ host and VBox + installed Guest Additions, one may be able to run Minecraft on ROS (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/li0jysfa996u6 ... 0.png?dl=0 ) :D
Sadly I don't have enough RAM @ the moment - VBox just keeps running 100% at loading screen.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Webunny » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:38 pm

wojo664 wrote:Regarding Minecraft, if one has enough memory @ host and VBox + installed Guest Additions, one may be able to run Minecraft on ROS (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/li0jysfa996u6 ... 0.png?dl=0 ) :D
Sadly I don't have enough RAM @ the moment - VBox just keeps running 100% at loading screen.
640 K ought to be enough for anybody.

PurpleGurl
Posts: 1774
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:11 am
Location: USA

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by PurpleGurl » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:01 am

Webunny wrote:640 K ought to be enough for anybody.
Yes Bill. ;-)

Seriously, I'd like to know why he can't get the branch to boot, and whether it is something David did, or some regression in the trunk.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Webunny » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:24 am

PurpleGurl wrote:
Webunny wrote:640 K ought to be enough for anybody.
Yes Bill. ;-)

Actually, it's of all times. The latest being:

"SuperSpeed 10 Gb/s is more than enough performance for the everyday user." - Ravencraft

In a few years, no doubt he'll eat those words too.
Seriously, I'd like to know why he can't get the branch to boot, and whether it is something David did, or some regression in the trunk.
No doubt there are some regressions; I discovered one myself which is not fixed as of yet. But of course, at this point it's guessing for this particular instance.

middings
Posts: 1007
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by middings » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:15 am

Webunny wrote:640 K ought to be enough for anybody.
It's fun to laugh about that remark Bill Gates made about the original IBM-PC.

To be fair, one must remember that this was being said of a crippled machine that came with a 5 Mhz 8088 microprocessor hiding behind an 8-bit data bus, had one 360KiB floppy drive for mass storage (a second one was available for an extra charge), lacked a hard drive, had a Color Graphics Adapter (CGA) card with 16-color 320 by 200 resolution, and--like the Apple ][--came with Basic in ROM. Neither Minecraft nor Lotus 1-2-3 were yet available. At that time, if one had a real use case that required more RAM than the capacity of your mass storage device then one wouldn't be playing with an almost toy computer but rather one would be buying a small minicomputer. That minicomputer could not only be equipped with more RAM than a PC could hold, it had an operating system much superior to PC-DOS 1.0, could be equipped with a hard drive (something PC-DOS 1.0 didn't support), and had programming languages available for it that were much more powerful and more productive to program with than MS-Basic.

Bill Gates did not make his dismissive remark about the serious computers of the day that were shipped with much more memory than an IBM-PC could manage. A few years before IBM released its PC, Stanford University had taken delivery of an IBM System 370 303X mainframe for its academic computing center; it was equipped with a then-whopping 4MB of RAM, at least a GB of hard drive capacity, and a robotic tape library. (The details escape me but I remember the 4MB RAM and the tape library robot was impressive to watch.) Bill Gates had no complaints about that or any machines like it. And I'm sure that at whatever machines he used at the second-rate computer tech school he dropped out of, he always wished those machines had lots of RAM. :lol:

Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Black_Fox » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:10 am

We should just append "at the time of me saying that" to these remarks :-)

gigaherz
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by gigaherz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:11 pm

PurpleGurl wrote:Seriously, I'd like to know why he can't get the branch to boot, and whether it is something David did, or some regression in the trunk.
There is a regression in Trunk (not just the branch) that prevents MSVC builds from booting past the second stage setup. I did manage to boot using the mingw-gcc build, so I managed to verify that the code works. ;P But until until that's fixed, I'm stuck with booting the gcc builds, which I can't use with WinDbg so it's much harder to debug with them.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Webunny » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:21 pm

middings wrote:
Webunny wrote:640 K ought to be enough for anybody.
It's fun to laugh about that remark Bill Gates made about the original IBM-PC.

To be fair, one must remember that this was being said of a crippled machine that came with a 5 Mhz 8088 microprocessor hiding behind an 8-bit data bus, had one 360KiB floppy drive for mass storage (a second one was available for an extra charge), lacked a hard drive, had a Color Graphics Adapter (CGA) card with 16-color 320 by 200 resolution, and--like the Apple ][--came with Basic in ROM. Neither Minecraft nor Lotus 1-2-3 were yet available. At that time, if one had a real use case that required more RAM than the capacity of your mass storage device then one wouldn't be playing with an almost toy computer but rather one would be buying a small minicomputer. That minicomputer could not only be equipped with more RAM than a PC could hold, it had an operating system much superior to PC-DOS 1.0, could be equipped with a hard drive (something PC-DOS 1.0 didn't support), and had programming languages available for it that were much more powerful and more productive to program with than MS-Basic.

Bill Gates did not make his dismissive remark about the serious computers of the day that were shipped with much more memory than an IBM-PC could manage. A few years before IBM released its PC, Stanford University had taken delivery of an IBM System 370 303X mainframe for its academic computing center; it was equipped with a then-whopping 4MB of RAM, at least a GB of hard drive capacity, and a robotic tape library. (The details escape me but I remember the 4MB RAM and the tape library robot was impressive to watch.) Bill Gates had no complaints about that or any machines like it. And I'm sure that at whatever machines he used at the second-rate computer tech school he dropped out of, he always wished those machines had lots of RAM. :lol:
To be fair, Bill Gates never said it in the first place. It has become a meme, but that quote is not a historical fact.

justincase
Posts: 434
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by justincase » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:43 am

PurpleGurl wrote:Seriously, I'd like to know why he can't get the branch to boot, and whether it is something David did, or some regression in the trunk.
gigaherz wrote:There is a regression in Trunk (not just the branch) that prevents MSVC builds from booting past the second stage setup. I did manage to boot using the mingw-gcc build, so I managed to verify that the code works. ;P But until until that's fixed, I'm stuck with booting the gcc builds, which I can't use with WinDbg so it's much harder to debug with them.
I hope said regression gets fixed soon. Granted it hasn't directly affected me as I mainly test with my own GCC builds under QEMU, but seeing as it's affecting David(gigaherz)'s testing, it's slowing work on the shell-experiments branch, and thus delaying the (eventual) release of 0.4, so yeah, I hope somebody figures it out soon.

Since shell-experiments development seems to have slowed I'm finally caught up on my shell-experiments builds (here), I've rearranged my builds folders, and I'm actually running out of space on my (free) mediafire account, so I think I'm going to have to start deleting old ISO's in order to clear the space necessary for the new ones.

Anyway, I hope you (David/gigaherz) had fun in Barcelona.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

Pi_User5
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 4:18 am
Location: United States

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Pi_User5 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:19 pm

I know that people could just download Firefox, I still think we should put a shortcut to WINE Internet Explorer in the start menu. It would show people that we have a web browser included. Most people don't even know that we include WINE Internet Explorer.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

Image

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Webunny » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:25 am

Pi_User5 wrote:I know that people could just download Firefox, I still think we should put a shortcut to WINE Internet Explorer in the start menu. It would show people that we have a web browser included. Most people don't even know that we include WINE Internet Explorer.
I'll second that. And, you know, let it look more like a real modern browser.

Pi_User5
Posts: 752
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 4:18 am
Location: United States

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by Pi_User5 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:03 am

I'll second that. And, you know, let it look more like a real modern browser.
WINE Internet Explorer is just a wrapper for Wine Gecko. Clicking on Properties in the file menu does not work. I not sure of this, but I think clicking on Properties should open up inetcpl.cpl.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

Image

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4317
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Blog: Translatable emptyness and Long-winded Shortcuts

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:36 am

As already mentioned... WIne iexplore is no feature complete browser yet. We would have to add browser selector like MS some time in the future, but right now we have rapps for that and more important tasks than user friendliness.
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Semrush [Bot] and 1 guest