Two Steps from [the S]hell

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Re: Two Steps from [the S]hell

Post by PurpleGurl »

BrentNewland wrote:You need to take into account the possibility a user will delete their favorites folder. It needs to check if the favorites folder exists, and create it if it doesn't.
Yes, that is Windows behavior. If Windows requires saving to a folder that isn't there, it creates it without errors nor prompting. The Live CD is a different situation since that is generally unwritable media. Still, since this is ROS and we have a Live CD version (Windows doesn't), it should be robust enough to not crash or malfunction under that environment.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

PurpleGurl wrote:
BrentNewland wrote:You need to take into account the possibility a user will delete their favorites folder. It needs to check if the favorites folder exists, and create it if it doesn't.
Yes, that is Windows behavior. If Windows requires saving to a folder that isn't there, it creates it without errors nor prompting. The Live CD is a different situation since that is generally unwritable media. Still, since this is ROS and we have a Live CD version (Windows doesn't), it should be robust enough to not crash or malfunction under that environment.

How are things with the hybrid live/install CD coming along?

It seems to me that that would be the most logical thing to do. A lot of people want to try it out first (live), and if they like it, they want to install it (and not re-download and burn yet another CD). It's a perfect combination, thus, but ROS doesn't seem to be working on it very much. Or at least, they hadn't some time ago. I don't keep tabs on the development of the 'all-in-one' CD anymore. Any news on that front?
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Webunny wrote:How are things with the hybrid live/install CD coming along?

It seems to me that that would be the most logical thing to do. A lot of people want to try it out first (live), and if they like it, they want to install it (and not re-download and burn yet another CD). It's a perfect combination, thus, but ROS doesn't seem to be working on it very much. Or at least, they hadn't some time ago. I don't keep tabs on the development of the 'all-in-one' CD anymore. Any news on that front?
I agree. It would be great PR. I'd rather the critics say they didn't like it but are not complaining because they were not forced to commit to it rather than claiming they had to reformat to get rid of it (possibly blaming PC failure on us too when it was bad timing), and ending up with a bad taste about ROS. It is easier to convince the "naive" rather than the "burned." Really, we'd hope they would someday install it and keep it, but before they are willing to do that, we will need to instill confidence in them. And if they have the option to try without committing, that will get support before we become completely ready since they can just try it. So a try first and install later CD in a single image would be great. Maybe that could only be done for stable releases with the goal of the unstable builds to be a small as possible, since the unstable builds are geared to the tech types.