0.3.17 testing

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DougLyons

0.3.17 testing

Post by DougLyons »

Would it be possible to just export the registries from the working and non-working builds and do a comparison?
Then you could add changes based of the difference to the non-working build and see if it works afterwards.
Also as a huge risk/test you could just import the whole registry from the working build into the non-working build.
This would prove that it was a registry entry (hive problem) would it not?
Webunny

Re: 0.3.17 testing

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Jira tickets allow for attachments. It's how everyone else who provides logs adds them to tickets.
Actually, I see some JIRA reports that have no logs whatsoever, and still get response of devs, which defeats a bit the notion that tickets get neglected if logs are two hops away or not directly put there as attachement... unless one wants to argue that having no logs is better than having logs two clicks away... but whatever... It's getting late. For now I'll just copy/paste my post, at least then, it will only be one hop away. I'll see later if and what log(s) I'll put there as attachements.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Not every bug requires logs, but when you see a report that says that logs have been made, but it doesn't have any attachments, you don't go "I'm going to dig through this post and see if I can find a link to a page that has links to pages that have the log files posted on them", nor are you likely to feel particularly motivated to help the person who posted the report, because they're not helping you help them.
Honestly I don't understand why you would put the log files in a pastebin anyway, if you're posting on the forums and they're not like super long you can just use the

Code: Select all

tag, and once you're to the point of asking the Devs to look at the log files you should be posting on JIRA and uploading them as plaintext files straight to the JIRA report.

Just take the same files that you copy/pasted to pastebin, rename them to have meaningful names, and perhaps make a couple of log files during the actual installation too (e.g. 64221_during_driver_installation.log for a log taken while you run the driver installation on r64221 & 64222_during_driver_installation.log for the same thing on 64222, etc.)
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

justincase wrote:Not every bug requires logs, but when you see a report that says that logs have been made, but it doesn't have any attachments, you don't go "I'm going to dig through this post and see if I can find a link to a page that has links to pages that have the log files posted on them", nor are you likely to feel particularly motivated to help the person who posted the report, because they're not helping you help them.
Honestly I don't understand why you would put the log files in a pastebin anyway, if you're posting on the forums and they're not like super long you can just use the

Code: Select all

tag, and once you're to the point of asking the Devs to look at the log files you should be posting on JIRA and uploading them as plaintext files straight to the JIRA report.

Just take the same files that you copy/pasted to pastebin, rename them to have meaningful names, and perhaps make a couple of log files during the actual installation too (e.g. 64221_during_driver_installation.log for a log taken while you run the driver installation on r64221 & 64222_during_driver_installation.log for the same thing on 64222, etc.)[/quote]

Basically, I pasted them on pastebin because a dev on irc asked me to. Now, you're complaining and asking why I did it.

I strongly suggest we leave it at this, because you guys sure have a knack to rub me the wrong way. I asked if anything else was needed, so I can't can't feel offended by getting an answer, but the tone that is used is something else.
Last edited by Webunny on Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Webunny wrote:Basically, I pasted them on pastebin because a dev on irc asked me too. Now, you're complaining and asking why I did it.
I wasn't on IRC, so I couldn't have known that. But still, were I in your place I would have attached them to the bug report.

I hope it gets fixed for you soon.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Forum != IRC channel. If a dev in IRC told you so, follow that suggestion. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Daniel, please stop confusing the guy.

Webunny, the workflow is pretty straightforward. If a dev asks for a log on pastebin in IRC, it's because it's the most direct way of seeing a log in IRC as you cannot paste in a log without freenode kicking you for flooding. But if there is an actual bug report, any logs or screenshots that get created to provide information for that report needs to be attached to the report. The report exists to centralize that information. Every time you don't attach this information and leave it scattered all over the net, you are defeating the point of having filed the report in the first place. And no, from the perspective of developers looking at reports, linking to logs or screenshots or whatever hosted on a third party site, or even to the forum, does not constitute "centralizing" information.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Z98 wrote:First, if people using vbox could see if when they click on desktop icons, the icons are actually highlighted blue and selected.
Hello all, I haven't had much time for ReactOS testing lately, but I just checked on 0.3.17 RC5 and the issue Z98 was asking about in VBox (quoted above) also happens with QEMU 1.6.0 when using the usb tablet option.
I also noticed that if I didn't use the usb tablet option (thus it defaults back to PS/2 mouse) the desktop icons would switch momentarily to an unselected state when clicked if they were already selected. I don't know how helpful this is, but it seems to me that it's probably related to the issue with the usb tablet option.
ashraf_mohamed123

Post by ashraf_mohamed123 »

ROS 0.3.17 doesn't install in VMware player 6.0.1 in scientific llinux 6.5, the installer can not see the hard disk :cry:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, without any explaination of your settings.... we cant help you
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ashraf_mohamed123

Post by ashraf_mohamed123 »

I downloaded ROS 0.3.17 setup iso, and created a new virtual machine in the VMware player and choose the default settings.