About ReactOS 0.4

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Black_Fox

Re: About ReactOS 0.4

Post by Black_Fox »

To make things clear: Pi_User5 asks about something like PC ROS Rigs, but an additional site, dedicated to specific pre-release testing, similar to how app tests are done before each release.
My issue with that is that there may not be enough content to justify such a page being created in each pre-release cycle. But as always - if anybody feels like creating a proof of concept in the wiki, go for it; it may actually take off.

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

To make things clear: Pi_User5 asks about something like PC ROS Rigs, but an additional site, dedicated to specific pre-release testing, similar to how app tests are done before each release.
My issue with that is that there may not be enough content to justify such a page being created in each pre-release cycle. But as always - if anybody feels like creating a proof of concept in the wiki, go for it; it may actually take off.
That's what I wanted. I will create a proof of concept page later on today.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I like this idea! :D

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I like this idea! :D
Now we just need a 0.4 release candidate. :lol:

[ external image ]

ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Well, it's claimed that ReactOS 0.4 will be released in Summer'15.

But comparing our status with our goals, it seems that we'll wait for 2016: Lautus (and probably other themes) has issues, shell has still minor issues, sound/USB/networking still has issues (devices not working, complaining or throwing BSoD) and their documentation is not ready, and kernel (MM/CC) is mostly incomplete, memory management is very bad...

What can I say? Let's wait for good things, in 16 months, ReactOS got much better!
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter account @reactos_tr

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

ctasan wrote:Well, it's claimed that ReactOS 0.4 will be released in Summer'15.

But comparing our status with our goals, it seems that we'll wait for 2016: Lautus (and probably other themes) has issues, shell has still minor issues, sound/USB/networking still has issues (devices not working, complaining or throwing BSoD) and their documentation is not ready, and kernel (MM/CC) is mostly incomplete, memory management is very bad...

What can I say? Let's wait for good things, in 16 months, ReactOS got much better!
And supposing ReactOS ("core") 0.4 is released almost at the same time as ReactOS Community Edition, you would need to wait for CORE-9593 to be ready :P

nicoalta01

Post by nicoalta01 »

However, the 0.4 should not have already all objectives ....
This is the goal when you close the branch 0.4
Admin on Facebook Page ReactOS Italy http://www.facebook.com/ireactos

ReactFan

Post by ReactFan »

still a lot of water runs into rivers it will see a new edition of ignoring fak how many things than is complete is the information in the blog or in the news recently do not appear virtually no reports from previous meetings also not optimistic.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Errr... I don't understand a single word of your post ReactFan.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

EmuandCo wrote:Errr... I don't understand a single word of your post ReactFan.
If I understand correctly, ReactFan notices that it has been a long time without any new blog entry nor any meeting report and for him, it appears to be of bad sign. By the way EmuandCo please see http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14178 on a related subject.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

There were two blog posts within last two weeks, that's quite good (well yes, they could have been set at least a few days/weeks apart, but I liked to see the news).

As for any following release (I neither want nor expect any specific date), is there any specific list of stuff/JIRA issues that have to be finished for release?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As much as possible, as you can see if you check the jira diagrams. Your meeting minutes will come soon..
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I haven't seen any activity in tcpip_revolution branch recently, any news from new TCP/IP implementation?
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter account @reactos_tr

ctasan

Post by ctasan »

At weekend, Timo Kreuzer committed something that related to our MM, are long-waited changes coming?