About ReactOS 0.4

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: About ReactOS 0.4

Post by Z98 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:51 pm

When someone on the team who cares about them get around to it. This is a volunteer based project, gauge your expectations accordingly.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:55 pm

This might come with WOW16 aka NTVDM Win 16 app support.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

ctasan

Post by ctasan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:55 pm

No, no. EmuandCo, I talk about setups that are 32-bit but contains 16-bit stubs. ReactOS detects them as invalid 32-bit apps. Okay, this is volunteer based. For example, which one do you prefer, proper DirectX support or NTVDM? (I just say that some of stuff has second priority.)

Some stuff has been waiting for a long time and has being annoying. Before 0.4 CE, we must finish them all or important parts. What are they?

-New shell (being improved and developed)
-Proper sound/wireless/USB support (I haven't seen any work about them)
-Kernel and Win32 subsystem works (progress is slow)
-Fixing driver problems (installation and running drivers) (there is not sufficient work)
-DirectX support (which is expected at beta releases, but first, a proper support for DirectX 7/8 should be provided)
-And program compatibility-stability. Who wants to see an BSOD while running a program?

I'll keep waiting. One day like Wine, we will see that programs and games will run and not crash.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:16 pm

Careful with that word "must." When you use it, it sounds like a demand.

ctasan

Post by ctasan » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:38 pm

I have talked in the view of a brand-new ReactOS 0.4 CE user. If we want a strong community for community-driven OS, we must.. Many people won't have ReactOS installed because of our unimplemented/broken/lacking things.

But I'm not brand-new, I will wait.

justincase

Post by justincase » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:46 pm

ctasan wrote:Okay, when will 16-bit setup stubs support for installing 32-bit programs and Windows Installer will be added?
EmuandCo wrote:This might come with WOW16 aka NTVDM Win 16 app support.
ctasan wrote:No, no. EmuandCo, I talk about setups that are 32-bit but contains 16-bit stubs. ReactOS detects them as invalid 32-bit apps.
I believe EmuandCo understood you just fine, but as far as I know there has been no work done to 'shim' such installers like Microsoft did for Windows, possibly because the ReactOS Project is implementing a software based NTVDM which will (hopefully) be able to understand the 16-bit portion of the installer, which will allow for normal installation as per what Windows did before Microsoft made the changes which required them to 'shim' such installers.

And as Z98 says, be careful with words like "must", it makes it seem like a demand, and nobody likes having people demand that they do something, especially if their doing it for free (which most of the ReactOS Team members are).
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

wildschwein

Post by wildschwein » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:28 pm

My opinion: It's not important how a release is called. Call it Reactos 0.4 - what is the sense, if it's not good enough ?

Call the next release Reactos 1.0 - and everybody is disappointed.

Better to call the next releases 0.3.17 0.3.18 0.3.19 and they are really good.

We should learn to look over longer time-distances e.g. 5 years. How poor was Reactos in 2009 - several bugs, runs only on very special hardware, few programms ran correctly - no office at all.
How lucky everybody would have been in 2009, when you told him, what was achieved until 2014 !

So think similar with the next 5 years ! In 2020 - my opinion - there will be a first, small group of users, who run reactos permanent on their (second) Real-Hardware PC for surfing, office, gaming (especially old games). There will be a list of laptops, from them is known, that reactos runs very stable on them. In 2020 this laptops will be age-old, and cheap on ebay ! Reactos will be quite stable, with very few crashes. A lot of "basic" programms are working, and a lot of "good old software=golden Apps" and good old (DOS) and 16bit-Windows Games !

Companies woun't use Reactos yet, because they don't trust them yet, but this was the same story with first linux distros in the mid-nineties !

In emerging economies (Africa) a lot of people (even the poor ones) will have a smartphone, but some work is better done on a PC, so age-old hardware e.g. laptops will be very popular in these countries, because you can have them for a few dollars !

Serveral types of Laptops are very easy to connect to the internet, because it will be well-known that Reactos runs without any problems on these types.(Maybe there will be some seldom crashes after very long on-line times.) This means: Buy latop e.g. from ebay, format harddisk, put in Reactos Install CD, Install Reactos with a few options, get all suitable drivers automatically, install all wanted "golden apps" with RApps and connect to internet with few clicks. Configure the rest (theme, some options for grafik, energie safe mode) and USE your age-old laptop like on of those Monsterlaptops with 5 TB Harddisk, 5 Prozessors, 4096 x 4096 Pixels etc (we are in the year 2020 !) You can do all things on this age-old Reactos Laptop like what you can do with those 2020-"Monster"-Laptops.
surfing, office, gaming, skype, chating, usw.

But you can't do one thing: you can't run Windows 12 (or how ever the versions are called in 2020!) because your laptop doesn't have the power...and you don't have to !

ctasan

Post by ctasan » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:13 pm

I don't know the status of ReactOS in 2009/2010 (could you please describe it?) but our current status is still not enough.

Surfing? Currently, there are known and-non fixed regressions for Firefox, Chrome doesn't install...

Gaming? Only a few old games work, I need to do some tests for understanding current status.

Skype? There are no 0.3.17 test, and don't know the status. Office? 2003 installs without registering a module (see CORE-8610). I tested Excel, which has memory issues, crashes to BSOD or closes without any notification. Word seems to work but I didn't test it too much. I will also test other apps. Chating? Some apps work but have issues.

At least I want to see apps that working properly. Okay, gaming (DirectX or OpenGL) support is secondary thing. But in 2020, will we able to catch Windows? We even have not Vista or 7 apps support! Wine has done it, partially.

Also we need to more developers -paid or not- and users. Any plans to advertise us?

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:09 pm

I don't know the status of ReactOS in 2009/2010 (could you please describe it?) but our current status is still not enough.

Surfing? Currently, there are known and-non fixed regressions for Firefox, Chrome doesn't install...

Gaming? Only a few old games work, I need to do some tests for understanding current status.

Skype? There are no 0.3.17 test, and don't know the status. Office? 2003 installs without registering a module (see CORE-8610). I tested Excel, which has memory issues, crashes to BSOD or closes without any notification. Word seems to work but I didn't test it too much. I will also test other apps. Chating? Some apps work but have issues.

At least I want to see apps that working properly. Okay, gaming (DirectX or OpenGL) support is secondary thing. But in 2020, will we able to catch Windows? We even have not Vista or 7 apps support! Wine has done it, partially.

Also we need to more developers -paid or not- and users. Any plans to advertise us?
If you want to test it, you can browse the older versions here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/reactos/files/ReactOS/
0.3.8 is from February of 2009: http://sourceforge.net/projects/reactos ... tOS/0.3.8/

Skype? Here's a bug with skype but it's from 2013: https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7344
I will have to test it today. Even if the application works perfectly, webcams might not work. I was testing some but I never knew if I could get video. I will test again today and see if my webcams work with Skype.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:44 pm

ctasan wrote:Skype? There are no 0.3.17 test
Good idea, didn't think of Skype!

BrentNewland

Post by BrentNewland » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 am

Wait, are you guys making ReactOS .4 private and paid-only?

middings

Post by middings » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:58 am

BrentNewland wrote:Wait, are you guys making ReactOS .4 private and paid-only?
No, that's not happening. What did you see or hear that made you worry ReactOS might go "private and paid-only"?

JHKr0md1yk

Post by JHKr0md1yk » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:18 am

BrentNewland wrote:Wait, are you guys making ReactOS .4 private and paid-only?
If you're talking about the Community Edition of ReactOS; no that was a fundraising effort in which the community//donors could vote which apps or platforms ReactOS should be developed (further) for in the timeframe the fundraiser was in effect. Of course, all commits were//will be given back to the main branch, not specifically tied to a version number. IOW, ROS 0.4 and ROS CE are not one and the same thing.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:39 am

Excatly, the are NOT. ROS in trunk stays ROS, ROS CE is a step in another direction in style matters (which might be added to trunk too), but the fixes are in our trunk too.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

ctasan

Post by ctasan » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:36 am

I'm glad that last improvements/fixes are too good. NTFS/ext2 improvements, many fixes for installing/running programs and kernel32 fixes...

I think that we are now able to run 1990s programs or games. With 16-bit setup support/proper Windows Installer support, we can expand our compatibility. Also I think we have DirectX 5 or 6 support, because we can run some games from 1990s.