ReactOS 0.0.17

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pi_User5

ReactOS 0.0.17

Post by Pi_User5 »

I was on Sourceforge looking at all the ReactOS downloads, and I went into the folder 0.0.17 and there were two zip files. One file was the source code and the other was a file that was named 0017-binary.zip I downloaded it and opened up (see attached picture). What is this and how would I boot it?

[ external image ]
http://sourceforge.net/projects/reactos ... OS/0.0.17/
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]

jimtabor
Developer

Re: ReactOS 0.0.17

Post by jimtabor »

Load FreeDOS or some other version of DOS, do not load himem.sys or you should?... Then after booting DOS run boot.bat. This was the Free9x ReactOS boot method before the NT boot was added.....

I even booted ReactOS from Windows 9X while it booted in DOS Command mode too....

HiMem.sys was needed but I had to turn off emm386 or something I can not recall. So you may need to experiment with it to see.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Is there a reason you want to bother? Cause I'd be amazed if we had any code of significance from that period still remaining, minus stuff that we're already planning to rip out.

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Wow,
Why does anyone play with old computer systems? To see how it worked perhaps? Then why bother to do anything at all? Just stay in your box and watch the shadow puppet show (LCD/LED) on your wall.... Live off bread and circuses (sports programming)! Arrest your development.

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Load FreeDOS or some other version of DOS, do not load himem.sys or you should?... Then after booting DOS run boot.bat. This was the Free9x ReactOS boot method before the NT boot was added.....

I even booted ReactOS from Windows 9X while it booted in DOS Command mode too....

HiMem.sys was needed but I had to turn off emm386 or something I can not recall. So you may need to experiment with it to see.
I will go and try that.
Is there a reason you want to bother? Cause I'd be amazed if we had any code of significance from that period still remaining, minus stuff that we're already planning to rip out.
I've seen pictures of the older versions of ReactOS and I wanted to try it out.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

It sort of works.

I made a video of what is happening: http://youtu.be/Xl8VTKENUc4

Any suggestions about the loading drivers errors?

[ external image ]

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

jimtabor wrote:Wow,
Why does anyone play with old computer systems? To see how it worked perhaps? Then why bother to do anything at all? Just stay in your box and watch the shadow puppet show (LCD/LED) on your wall.... Live off bread and circuses (sports programming)! Arrest your development.
Jim, Jim, Jim, have you considered the possibility that knowing what the end user is trying to accomplish is an important step in guiding them to the most efficient means of their goal?

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Z98 wrote:
Jim, Jim, Jim, have you considered the possibility that knowing what the end user is trying to accomplish is an important step in guiding them to the most efficient means of their goal?
So not thinking outside the box is not a good idea?

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Pi_User5 wrote:It sort of works.

I made a video of what is happening: http://youtu.be/Xl8VTKENUc4

Any suggestions about the loading drivers errors?
Okay? Did the boot floppy have himem.sys loaded? You might need it. Run mem.exe to see. Make sure drive C: is the first partition too. Extermination might be required since this has been a long time, ReactOS booted up the way that I can remember.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

jimtabor wrote:
Z98 wrote:
So not thinking outside the box is not a good idea?
I don't think both things are mutually exclusive, at least, not necessarily. Of more relevance is the context (and the defined goal(s) that one wants to accomplish) in which (each of) both are used. In the end, of course, somebody can just use or want something 'just because'. A lot of things are done because one likes doing it, and it's not always the most efficient way that is wanted neither, since it's - sometimes - not about the endresult, but the journey towards it, that counts.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I include every version of each game on my website, whenever possible. Some visitors like to see how the game evolved over time, sometimes older versions had features that were dropped from later versions, and sometimes older versions had bugs that were fun to exploit. I suspect the OP is simply curious. Getting old stuff to run is fun! I've been messing with the code in Bochs to get it to support 8" floppy disk images so that I can run an old QDOS/86DOS image I found online. DOS 1.0 FTW!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.