Have you any persistent bug(s) that irritate you?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Post by oldman »

I have two!
Number one is: the constant hammering of the floppy drive every time you navigate around in Explorer(old).
Number two is: the mouse sticking to the window when you either move the window or re-size the window.

Will they be gone when Explorer new is used instead of the old Explorer?
Last edited by oldman on Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
jimtabor
Developer

Re: Have you any persistent bug(s) that irritate you?

Post by jimtabor »

oldman wrote:Have you any persistent bug(s) that irritate you?

I have two!
Number one is: the constant hammering of the floppy drive every time you navigate around in Explorer(old).
Number two is: the mouse sticking to the window when you either move the window or re-size the window.

Will they be gone when Explorer new is used instead of the old Explorer?T
That mouse thing, first I thought it was my mouse since it was doing the same with X11. The move resize window code was move into win32k by me. That might have exposed or enhanced the buggy mouse sticking. ATM the sticking starts right after booting up then for me it goes away. ReactOS does not support win32k mouse delay time.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

X uses mouse focus by default, have you observed this using your WM's click-focus option before saying X behaves the same?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

erkinalp wrote:X uses mouse focus by default, have you observed this using your WM's click-focus option before saying X behaves the same?
I use qemu, the mouse just sticks when holding down on any X11 window then dragging it. It's an old optic mouse.
oldman

Post by oldman »

jimtabor wrote: That mouse thing, first I thought it was my mouse since it was doing the same with X11. The move resize window code was move into win32k by me. That might have exposed or enhanced the buggy mouse sticking. ATM the sticking starts right after booting up then for me it goes away. ReactOS does not support win32k mouse delay time.
This bug is reported here CORE-7797.

In R63989, the sticky behaviour is not immediately there, but when it starts, it's always there. There is no sign of it, when I run Puppy Linux on the same computer.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Well, from memory:

When ReactOS starts, it asks you to install some drivers. But if you say "yes", it has no idea, apparently, how to do that. - That's OK, but then it shouldn't ask in the first place.
DownWithRedmond

Post by DownWithRedmond »

I would have to say, in echoing the poster before me, that it is the Add Hardware pop-up that appears can be a bit of an annoyance -- because it asks for a system device of which neither I nor the system apparently has a driver for, meaning that each time I have to re-install (which is often) on my old laptop I've tested ReactOS on for fun, I have to go through the wizard and check the "do not remind me" checkmark and click Finish.

The positive part of this is that it really tries to get everything set up, and that hopefully it'll get missing hardware working. For that, I'm definitely grateful. So it's definitely not a bug, but I would agree. A real bug is that explorer freezes the entire GUI and I have to hold down the power key whenever I navigate too fast or do something too intensive. The worst part of it, like I said in another thread, is that the system doesn't tell me when this happens (no hourglass, flashlight, or indicator). Hopefully, the next big version coming up will have this totally fixed up, as it seems to be an old explorer issue from what I've read. ;)
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

What annoys me is that I can't click on update driver in Device Manager.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
rachid

Post by rachid »

Pi_User5 wrote:What annoys me is that I can't click on update driver in Device Manager.
Right, its realy annoying that we are not able to install hardware drivers :x
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You are, if the driver has a setup. And you are, if you install the driver manually. inf to ReactOS\inf. dlls and exes to ReactOS\system32 and sys to ReactOS\system32\drivers. Not nice, but runs
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
DownWithRedmond

Post by DownWithRedmond »

That's good advice for someone new to a WinNT environment, but I've manually copied drivers like this -- even then, they still tend not to behave nicely (i.e. guaranteed BSOD on the next restart). Hopefully, 0.4 will bring a much nicer driver framework that will actually work without crashing so much like 0.3.x does.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Right, its realy annoying that we are not able to install hardware drivers :x
I've been messing with ReactOS in Virtual PC 2007, and upon first boot, it ask me for the network card driver (Intel 21140) which installs from the driver I provide and works nice. I have the video driver but I can't update it from Device Manager.
And you are, if you install the driver manually. inf to ReactOS\inf. dlls and exes to ReactOS\system32 and sys to ReactOS\system32\drivers. Not nice, but runs
I've tried this before and it gives me an error message on building.
You are, if the driver has a setup.
The setup runs fine but then the driver causes a BSOD on startup.
Hopefully, 0.4 will bring a much nicer driver framework that will actually work without crashing so much like 0.3.x does.
We can only hope. :D I hope it will also bring more hardware support.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Not only the PnP Stack is a problem here. Drivers want many interfaces to hook in. Many are there already, but not all I fear.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Not only the PnP Stack is a problem here. Drivers want many interfaces to hook in. Many are there already, but not all I fear.
Hopefully it will be in 0.4. ;)

[ external image ]
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Don't build up 0.4 too much in your mind. It will be a huge improvement over 0.3.0, but it won't be a huge change from 0.3.16 and the latest daily builds. As with every previous release, it will be incrementally better than the last one. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. 0.4 is just another step but, when added to all of the previous steps, it must be at least a couple hundred miles by now.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.