Cannot use or install

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

drrdf

Cannot use or install

Post by drrdf »

The project looks good, but so far I cannot see what has been accomplished or form any judgment on it. God knows there is a need for such a project! Both disks I have written from the downloaded iso zips for the live cd and boot cd will not boot at all. I have tried them on 3 PCs and it is the same on all 3, so it is not an isolated problem.
DOSGuy

Re: Cannot use or install

Post by DOSGuy »

That could be bad luck: ReactOS doesn't work with a lot of hardware. The vast majority of people run ROS in a virtualization suite (VMWare, VirtualBox, etc), and installing ROS on a real computer is not generally recommended, unless you have a dedicated testing computer that doesn't contain any data that you fear losing. Remember that ROS is in alpha stage, so it's largely only useful for testing at this point. It can do a lot of useful stuff, but it's not ready to serve as an everyday OS.

To get your first experience with ROS, I recommend getting a free copy of VirtualBox. You can also download ROS 0.3.16 pre-installed in a copy of QEMU. Once you've gotten ROS running in a virtual environment, you can try running it on real hardware if you still feel inclined to do so.

Finally, if you really really really want to run ROS on a real computer instead of a virtual environment, read this thread for information on how to help us help you.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
oldman

Post by oldman »

drrdf wrote:..... Both disks I have written from the downloaded iso zips for the live cd and boot cd will not boot at all. I have tried them on 3 PCs and it is the same on all 3, so it is not an isolated problem.
If you are seeking help, then you need to give much more detail!
Like:
Which live cd, like "livecd-63761-rel" or "livecd-63761-dbg".
Which boot cd, like "bootcd-63761-rel" or bootcd-63761-dbg".
Specifications for the different computers you have tried.
At what point does it fail to boot.

If you give enough detail, then someone may be able to help you.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Jessey

Post by Jessey »

I would wait if I was you. The devlopers are lazy right now and until they get off their butts you woun't like the test in virutual box as you will not be able to go online at all, let alone use the softeare repo.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Jessey wrote:I would wait if I was you. The devlopers are lazy right now and until they get off their butts you woun't like the test in virutual box as you will not be able to go online at all, let alone use the softeare repo.
get off your own butt and start writing code instead of complaining about lazy developers. All our devs have a live and ReactOS is their hobby
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Jessey wrote:I would wait if I was you. The devlopers are lazy right now and until they get off their butts you woun't like the test in virutual box as you will not be able to go online at all, let alone use the softeare repo.

Warning one of two my friend...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Jessey

Post by Jessey »

you forgot to mention that only fat works in your rant otherwise it just stalls and nether finishes. Don't know if that is in a jira, but then again it needs a speprate account to even make a report witch I would have done by now, instead of seting here on this uncofotable chair with my legs crossed and feet alseep. :lol: ;) :)
Konata

Post by Konata »

It's well known ReactOS only works under FAT. That's temporary so writing code to check if it's FAT or not and dying otherwise seems like a waste of time, at least it would seem that way to me. You really gotta understand ROS is Alpha. Not Beta, Alpha, Pre-Beta. Quite honestly ROS is in extremely usable condition for being in an unusable state.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Wait a bit until CC in the kernel is fixed, then we will support more complaex FS, too. For example EXT2/3 is a aim for us.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
oldman

Post by oldman »

EmuandCo wrote:Wait a bit until CC in the kernel is fixed, then we will support more complex FS, too. For example EXT2/3 is a aim for us.
us
But is it being worked on right now, or is that something for the future?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.