We need an official C compiler and assembler for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: We need an official C compiler and assembler for ReactOS

Post by EmuandCo »

Nice answer. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
fulea.stefan

Post by fulea.stefan »

erkinalp, don't loose hope, buddy! The first men of ReactOS have fought this dragon problem (which disturbs your peace of mind) a long time ago! It's just... that their deed seems forgotten or ignored now. Behold, the mighty RosAsm:
http://rosasm.freeforums.org/portal.php
who's name (according to Wikipedia) stands for "ReactOS Assembler".
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OMG ... that crap still exists? Seach for it in here and laugh a bit. that was some kibd of idiot. ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:OMG ... that crap still exists? Seach for it in here and laugh a bit. that was some kibd of idiot. ^^
Can you elaborate?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

He wanted to force us to use his Assembler and was kinda pissed when we said no. He started a nute like hate campaign against us. ^^

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Nordstelo

Post by Nordstelo »

gigaherz wrote: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 am Can any of you write such a compiler? Do any of you have the time, knowledge and resources to write such compiler?

If the answer is yes, if you feel like you can do an open-source MSVC-like compiler, then please go ahead. You can easily create a repository at github, bitbucket, or wherever else. Write the code, upload the code, and prove it.
I know it's not exactly netiquette to revive an old thread, but I believe this topic remains valid and worth of exploration. So I ask you: have any you heard of Sphinx C--?

Back in the day, when I was younger and had enough free time to waste experimenting (writing VESA based graphics libraries, experimental language parsers, OSesque boot sectors and the like) I came across this project and it quite impressed me. It has to be the most efficient compiler out there, by virtue of implementing a computer language which is a literal mixture of C and assembly. Really, go and check the examples; many of them are just a few Kb with BOTH the source code AND the compiled executable.

The compiler already works and its goal (producing small, optimized, low level executables) is in line with this project. Not trivial to update such an old software -yes- but it's far from working from scratch.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, this thread was not of much practical use from the very beginning. Just had a really good laugh when I re-read the whole one. Laughed about all my typos too...
Anyways, regarding your compiler. Looks nice, but will not help us much. We use way more advanced compilers today which allow all the things we need for a working OS.
Boromir 11072021112019.jpg
Boromir 11072021112019.jpg (90.96 KiB) Viewed 4609 times