My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Russia, Stavropol
Contact:

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Jedi-to-be » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:31 pm

EmuandCo wrote:Interesting... please provide us a Jira Report with that information. That's indeed a interesting problem... Did you try to install with without ACPI HAL?
CORE-8359
CORE-8360

I can only test with live cds

Jedi-to-be
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Russia, Stavropol
Contact:

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Jedi-to-be » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Case #5

WIN,native resolution, everything works except network (no drivers installed).

livecd-63709-rel.iso @ CD-R
usb devices attached - wifi, usb-3G-modem

Laptop RoverBook Partner E419L (clone of ECS G322 specs)
VIA based CPU+Chipset
1 gb of RAM installed

Image
Image

middings
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by middings » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Webunny » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:10 am

middings wrote:Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Alas, none of it is viewable at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs.

oldman
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by oldman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:24 am

middings wrote:Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Jedi-to-be is a very active promoter of ReactOS, so do not discourage him!
Last edited by oldman on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

oldman
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by oldman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:47 pm

Webunny wrote: Alas, none of it is viewable at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs.
On the assumption that no one has got 5 laptops and he can only use a livecd, I would say that they do not belong to him. So he may not in the future have access to them, and therefore he would not be able to re-test newer revisions of ReactOS.

Would it therefore be of any value, to put the spec's of these laptops on the PC rigs wiki?
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

tomleem
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:59 pm
Location: New Hampshire of United States of America
Contact:

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by tomleem » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:24 pm

oldman wrote:
Webunny wrote: Alas, none of it is viewable at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs.
On the assumption that no one has got 5 laptops and he can only use a livecd, I would say that they do not belong to him. So he may not in the future have access to them, and therefore he would not be able to re-test newer revisions of ReactOS.

Would it therefore be of any value, to put the spec's of these laptops on the PC rigs wiki?
If what you say is true, I think others who have access to those laptops could try newer vesions of ReactOS and add it to the listing of those laptops. He might not be able to retest it but others might. It would have value to others, IMO. :ugeek:
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Webunny » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:57 pm

oldman wrote:
Webunny wrote: Alas, none of it is viewable at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs.
On the assumption that no one has got 5 laptops and he can only use a livecd, I would say that they do not belong to him. So he may not in the future have access to them, and therefore he would not be able to re-test newer revisions of ReactOS.

Would it therefore be of any value, to put the spec's of these laptops on the PC rigs wiki?
While - on the presumption none of the laptops can't be used for (re)testing anymore - it has less use in regard to plotting points for a later statistical visualisation/graph of it, it still remains of value in as far as it shows what laptop worked and what not. This is of importance to others, if not to the person himself. Surely, one will have other people with the same or similar laptops, after all.

I've got around 12 PC's (desktops) and 3 laptops laying around, btw. So it's not impossible to have several PC's. Granted, most are either completely obsolete or in use for other things, but still, I have one dedicated machine to ROS with about 2-3 others in reserve.

BTW oldman, since you are around; feel free to vote on the wallpapers (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466)! :P

middings
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by middings » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:10 pm

oldman wrote:
middings wrote:Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Jedi-to-be is a very active promoter of ReactOS, so do not discourage him!
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement. I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Webunny » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:20 pm

middings wrote:
oldman wrote:
middings wrote:Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Jedi-to-be is a very active promoter of ReactOS, so do not discourage him!
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement. I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.
I don't think it could, in any reasonable way. On the contrary, it sounded more like a compliment.

mrugiero
Posts: 482
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:12 am

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by mrugiero » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:29 am

middings wrote:
oldman wrote:
middings wrote:Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Jedi-to-be is a very active promoter of ReactOS, so do not discourage him!
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement. I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.
I agree with Webunny, it sounds more like "that guy is awesome" than anything discouraging.

oldman
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by oldman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:28 pm

middings » 17 Jul 2014 19:10 wrote:
oldman » 15 Jul 2014 07:24 wrote:
middings » 14 Jul 2014 21:43 wrote: Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Jedi-to-be is a very active promoter of ReactOS, so do not discourage him!
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement.....
It looks like I am the one that needs to apologise! I read your statement in a negative way, which you did not intend it to be.

Now to clarify my reply ("oldman » 15 Jul 2014 07:24"): The first part of my sentence is a statement, the second part was a word of caution.
middings » 17 Jul 2014 19:10 wrote:
.... I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.
The more hardware testers the better.
Webunny » 17 Jul 2014 16:57 wrote:BTW oldman, since you are around; feel free to vote on the wallpapers (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466)!
I will decline your invitation. I would be more interested in doing group tests, which would be more profitable.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Webunny » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:04 pm

oldman wrote:
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement.....
It looks like I am the one that needs to apologise! I read your statement in a negative way, which you did not intend it to be.

Now to clarify my reply ("oldman » 15 Jul 2014 07:24"): The first part of my sentence is a statement, the second part was a word of caution.
middings » 17 Jul 2014 19:10 wrote:
.... I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.
The more hardware testers the better.
Webunny » 17 Jul 2014 16:57 wrote:BTW oldman, since you are around; feel free to vote on the wallpapers (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466)!
I will decline your invitation. I would be more interested in doing group tests, which would be more profitable.
Group tests? You mean testing ROS on RH? Well..the one has little to do with the other, but... sure, if you organise such a thing and do the effort of having it all layed out, I might participate. In a way it would be more profitable indeed, but then again, it would require more work too. I mean, the wallpaper is not the biggest thing, but it only needs a simple vote as well. What about... quid pro quo? I've organised the wallpaper voting-contest; if you participate in it, and you'll organise a group-testing, I'll participate in yours! ;)

Jedi-to-be
Posts: 698
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:26 am
Location: Russia, Stavropol
Contact:

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Jedi-to-be » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:42 am

For Case #1 see huge bugreport

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-8359

DRNewcomb
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 2:10 am

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by DRNewcomb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Just for fun, I tried installing React OS (64034-dbg) on a Dell Optiplex GX520 I have laying around.
1. Would not install boot loader if I used any partitioning other than the entire hard drive. (e.g. 20GB vs all 80 GB)
2. Would not write bootloader to floppy
Eventually it installed but crashed on blue screen of death.
I understand that ReactOS has never been recommended for real hardware installation but if anyone is interested I can post screen shots and maybe log files, if I can get them off the hard drive.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 3 guests