My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by oldman »

DRNewcomb wrote:Just for fun, I tried installing React OS (64034-dbg) on a Dell Optiplex GX520 I have laying around.
1. Would not install boot loader if I used any partitioning other than the entire hard drive. (e.g. 20GB vs all 80 GB)
2. Would not write bootloader to floppy
Eventually it installed but crashed on blue screen of death.
I understand that ReactOS has never been recommended for real hardware installation but if anyone is interested I can post screen shots and maybe log files, if I can get them off the hard drive.
You have not given much detail here!

The partition needs to be a primary "FAT" and not "NTFS".

I have tried in the past to install Ros on a Dell Dimension 2400. I first reduced the partition that Windows XP was on, then I created another primary partition to install Ros on. I did manage to install to this partition, but I could not get it to boot from a boot floppy that it was supposed to have created (looked at it in Linux, it seemed to be corrupted).

I have tried again since, but I have had issues with Ros finding the partition (if I have remembered correctly).
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
DRNewcomb

Post by DRNewcomb »

oldman wrote: You have not given much detail here!

The partition needs to be a primary "FAT" and not "NTFS".
Understood. I was just checking to see if anyone wanted more information or the response would be, "Well, what did you expect?"

I was using the partitioned provided with the setup ISO file, so my choices were FAT and ext. I picked FAT.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Case #1 viewtopic.php?p=110384#p110384
UPD Now as for r66089 it works, but USB keyboard and mouse - dont.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Case #3 viewtopic.php?p=110390#p110390

UPD. Now as in reactos-livecd-0.4.7-dev-578 it is HALF-fixed Freeloader boots normaly, but then ReactOS faces USB problems.