My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be

Re: My ReactOS Hardware Sprint

Post by Jedi-to-be »

EmuandCo wrote:Interesting... please provide us a Jira Report with that information. That's indeed a interesting problem... Did you try to install with without ACPI HAL?
CORE-8359
CORE-8360

I can only test with live cds
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Case #5

WIN,native resolution, everything works except network (no drivers installed).

livecd-63709-rel.iso @ CD-R
usb devices attached - wifi, usb-3G-modem

Laptop RoverBook Partner E419L (clone of ECS G322 specs)
VIA based CPU+Chipset
1 gb of RAM installed

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
middings

Post by middings »

Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

middings wrote:Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Alas, none of it is viewable at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Jedi-to-be is a very active promoter of ReactOS, so do not discourage him!
Last edited by oldman on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Webunny wrote: Alas, none of it is viewable at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs.
On the assumption that no one has got 5 laptops and he can only use a livecd, I would say that they do not belong to him. So he may not in the future have access to them, and therefore he would not be able to re-test newer revisions of ReactOS.

Would it therefore be of any value, to put the spec's of these laptops on the PC rigs wiki?
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

oldman wrote:
Webunny wrote: Alas, none of it is viewable at https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs.
On the assumption that no one has got 5 laptops and he can only use a livecd, I would say that they do not belong to him. So he may not in the future have access to them, and therefore he would not be able to re-test newer revisions of ReactOS.

Would it therefore be of any value, to put the spec's of these laptops on the PC rigs wiki?
If what you say is true, I think others who have access to those laptops could try newer vesions of ReactOS and add it to the listing of those laptops. He might not be able to retest it but others might. It would have value to others, IMO. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

oldman wrote:

While - on the presumption none of the laptops can't be used for (re)testing anymore - it has less use in regard to plotting points for a later statistical visualisation/graph of it, it still remains of value in as far as it shows what laptop worked and what not. This is of importance to others, if not to the person himself. Surely, one will have other people with the same or similar laptops, after all.

I've got around 12 PC's (desktops) and 3 laptops laying around, btw. So it's not impossible to have several PC's. Granted, most are either completely obsolete or in use for other things, but still, I have one dedicated machine to ROS with about 2-3 others in reserve.

BTW oldman, since you are around; feel free to vote on the wallpapers (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466)! :P
middings

Post by middings »

oldman wrote:
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement. I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

middings wrote:
oldman wrote:
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement. I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.
I don't think it could, in any reasonable way. On the contrary, it sounded more like a compliment.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

middings wrote:
oldman wrote:
I agree with Webunny, it sounds more like "that guy is awesome" than anything discouraging.
oldman

Post by oldman »

middings » 17 Jul 2014 19:10 wrote:
oldman » 15 Jul 2014 07:24 wrote:
middings » 14 Jul 2014 21:43 wrote: Jedi-to-be hosts a one-man install party!
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement.....
It looks like I am the one that needs to apologise! I read your statement in a negative way, which you did not intend it to be.

Now to clarify my reply ("oldman » 15 Jul 2014 07:24"): The first part of my sentence is a statement, the second part was a word of caution.
.... I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.
The more hardware testers the better.
Webunny » 17 Jul 2014 16:57 wrote:BTW oldman, since you are around; feel free to vote on the wallpapers (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466)!
I will decline your invitation. I would be more interested in doing group tests, which would be more profitable.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

oldman wrote:
Sorry. I didn't realize my install party remark could be heard as discouragement.....
It looks like I am the one that needs to apologise! I read your statement in a negative way, which you did not intend it to be.

Now to clarify my reply ("oldman » 15 Jul 2014 07:24"): The first part of my sentence is a statement, the second part was a word of caution.
.... I'm learning what I can from observing Jedi-to-be's ReactOS Hardware Sprint effort and following his reports. I look forward to hosting ReactOS install parties of my own someday.
The more hardware testers the better.
Webunny » 17 Jul 2014 16:57 wrote:BTW oldman, since you are around; feel free to vote on the wallpapers (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466)!
I will decline your invitation. I would be more interested in doing group tests, which would be more profitable.
Group tests? You mean testing ROS on RH? Well..the one has little to do with the other, but... sure, if you organise such a thing and do the effort of having it all layed out, I might participate. In a way it would be more profitable indeed, but then again, it would require more work too. I mean, the wallpaper is not the biggest thing, but it only needs a simple vote as well. What about... quid pro quo? I've organised the wallpaper voting-contest; if you participate in it, and you'll organise a group-testing, I'll participate in yours! ;)
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

For Case #1 see huge bugreport

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-8359
DRNewcomb

Post by DRNewcomb »

Just for fun, I tried installing React OS (64034-dbg) on a Dell Optiplex GX520 I have laying around.
1. Would not install boot loader if I used any partitioning other than the entire hard drive. (e.g. 20GB vs all 80 GB)
2. Would not write bootloader to floppy
Eventually it installed but crashed on blue screen of death.
I understand that ReactOS has never been recommended for real hardware installation but if anyone is interested I can post screen shots and maybe log files, if I can get them off the hard drive.