Call for Testing: Shell Bringup

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gigaherz

Call for Testing: Shell Bringup

Post by gigaherz »

Hello everyone!

I'm collecting a list of known issues and missing features for the improvements that have been going on in the Shell-Experiments branch. We'd like everyone to test the latest builds, and tell us about any issues and missing features they can find, that we may have missed. The list is not supposed to include extra things that Windows 2003 never did.

The results of this calling will be essential to know how far the code is from being worthy of being merged into trunk, so we are specially interested in things that the old explorer currently used in trunk builds can do, that people would miss if the merge was done.

To anyone interested, you can choose between two builds, from revision 63640. You can choose either To compare against trunk, you can obtain a build from our GetBuilds page.

If you find a bug or missing feature, it would be good to know if it also happens in the other build, so that we know if it's compiler-specific.

Remember that VS builds need WinDbg attached to the serial port in order to start the installer (not required afterwards).

For this task, I'm using a collaborative text editor based on the source of EtherPad, so that anyone can contribute their findings. To post the results, you can either reply to this topic, or write directly into the collaborative pad (disregard the ugly name of the site ;P). The information will be aggregated there.

Feel free to mention if you believe the branch is better, same, or worse than trunk in a reply.

Any constructive feedback is welcome!
Last edited by gigaherz on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gigaherz

Re: Call for Testing: Shell Bringup

Post by gigaherz »

Here is a backup of the collaborative pad contents, as of 2014/06/26 21:12 (CEST), in case anything happens to that site or the contents of the pad.
NOTE: Click the SAVE button when you are done changing something, so we have some level of protection against vandalism ;P

Before you start writing:
This is now an "official" calling for testing, comments and feedback not directly part of this list can be sent to:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13447

If you don't know if you found a bug or a missing feature, please reply to the forum above, and we'll figure out where to put it.

It shouldn't be needed to say, but please keep this document on topic.

Known Issues:
  • Start menu upper toolbar sometimes does not draw until clicked.
  • Explorer windows still leak user handles (although more slowly).
    • Navigating enough times causes ReactOS to stop being able to show new menus and dialogs due to the USER desktop heap being full.
  • Icons and bitmaps stop drawing after changing bit depth.
  • Not all the keyboard navigation actions on the menus work as expected.
  • Some menus and toolbar buttons do not behave as expected
    • * Menus open on Mouse Button Up, Windows opens them on Mouse Button Down.
    • The View menu does not follow the same exact structure as the Windows equivalent.
    • The Favorites menu has the wrong structure and sometimes corrupts, showing just the upper "empty" item.
    • The Views button on the toolbar does not display the View menu (works in windows).
    • The items in the Forward button's dropdown menu don't work.
    • Going Back & Forward multiple times sometimes changes the order of history items.
  • The toolbar does not properly generate a disabled bitmap for alpha-blended bitmaps.
  • The listview keyboard navigation behaves wrongly for left-aligned listviews (such as the desktop).
  • Internationalization and localization -- incomplete/missing languages
    • The View menus child "View" isn't getting localized (at least not into german).
  • Taskbar items doesn't have the correct size/alignment (the top of each item should be the same position as top of start button) (maybe CORE-5483?)
  • The taskbar is unthemed -- not true, when running explorer-new in windows, it gets themed just fine, not perfect, but not bad either. So it's either our comctl, or uxtheme itself that's failing.
  • Some of the start menu stock icons are wrongly sized (programs, settings)
  • The menus should close on a second click and not re-open
  • Refreshing desktop/browse window twice makes the view crash and disappear
  • Refreshing in an Explorer window via the context menu also refreshes the Desktop
  • Opening a folder named 'folder.ini' ends in error
  • Opening C:\ (My Computer -> C:\) and clicking Enter in addressbar - breaks it. Going to 'ReactOS', but address stays the same.
  • Start Menu -> Settings: menu items don't openBrowse window toolbar lock/unlock does not prevent dragging toolbars with a title.
Missing Features:
  • Many menubar and toolbar items are unimplemented.
    • The File menu should show a combined menu including some of the context menu items from the current selection (all but the seperator over "Properties").
    • The Edit menu should show show the usual items, enabled or disabled as appropriate.
    • Favorites menu does not show the contents of the Favorites folder
    • View menu toolbar items do not actually show/hide the toolbars
  • Sidebar panels are not implemented.
    • Sidebar panel support isn't implemented into browseui either.
  • Merged folders implementation which can be used to include a combined and filtered view of both user start menu, and all-users (shared) start menu items, as well as skipping the Programs item from the upper section of the start menu.
    • Merged folders support isn't implemented in the menu classes either.
  • The taskbar does not support grouping of related buttons.
  • The browse window addressbar does not behave as expected
    • Unfolding the combobox does not show all the expected items.
    • Pressing return while editing in the addressabr does not navigate.
    • Navigating with the "Go" button leaves the addressbar blank instead of selecting the "item" with the current folder.
    • Shows the locations GUID instead of the name for special places (opening 'my documents' results in empty addressbar and clicking 'Go' goes to 'My Computer').
  • The "Shutdown..." button should display an Exit Windows dialog, with the options to reboot, sleep, etc. (followup of CORE-7559)
  • The notification area (tray) is missing the "stock" icons for volume, network, ...
  • Winkey does not toggle the start menu.
  • Not all accelerator hotkeys are implemented.
  • Explorer DDE is not implemented
    • Opening a folder outside the desktop or another folder opens a new process.
  • Browse window processes don't shut down when the window is closed.
  • Explorer commandline is not fully implemented
    • Explore mode does not show the tree sidebar (not implemented)
    • Root is ignored (not implemented)
    • Select is ignored (not implemented)
    • If an existing instance is running, it should send a DDE command to it.
  • Explorer window settings not restored when reopening after closing.
    • Per-folder settings not implemented.
    • Per-application size/position should be kept by the OS, not the program, I believe.
  • * Shell menus can not be navigated by keeping the button pressed.
Last edited by gigaherz on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Some menus and toolbar buttons do not behave as expected

Menus open on Mouse Button Up, Windows opens them on Mouse Button Down.
Test it with wine, I'm sure it is a hacky wine'ism to detect double click of the mouse.

gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

He's talking about shell menus, not the system ones.

oldman

Post by oldman »

by gigaherz » 25 Jun 2014 14:45
Hello everyone!

Feel free to mention if you believe the branch is better, same, or worse than trunk in a reply.

Any constructive feedback is welcome!
[ external image ]

Here are some of my findings:

* Three out of about four installed programmes are not shown in the start menu.
* Control Panel cannot be started from the start menu.
* There is no re-boot menu item in the start menu.
* There are two working program menu items in the start menu.
* Taskbar entries for opened windows are not alined horizontally central.
* Missing entries on the Taskbar by the clock (MWSnap shows an icon there normally).

My opinion is, that it is not ready to be merged into trunk.
Last edited by oldman on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Back/Forward arrows in explorer are not drawn right. See image from oldman.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

[deleted]
Last edited by dsp8195 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

oldman wrote:Here are some of my findings:

* Three out of about four installed programmes are not shown in the start menu.
Known. It's already in the list. Those applications create the shortcut in the all-users folder instead of the user folder. Needs support for merged folders objects.
oldman wrote:* Control Panel cannot be started from the start menu.
Known. It's already in the list.
oldman wrote:* There is no re-boot menu item in the start menu.
Known. It's supposed to be in the shutdown dialog, which is already in the list.
oldman wrote:* There are two working program menu items in the start menu.
Known. The top one should be filtered away by the same merged folders system mentioned above.
oldman wrote:* Taskbar entries for opened windows are not alined horizontally central.
You mean vertically? If so, it's known and in the list, otherwise that's not how Windows 2003 or the old explorer do it.
oldman wrote:* Missing entries on the Taskbar by the clock (MWSnap shows an icon there normally).
You mean a 3rdparty program does not show up? Then that's a bug. The missing icons for volume and network are known and in the list.
oldman wrote:My opinion is, that it is not ready to be merged into trunk.
Noted.
EmuandCo wrote:Back/Forward arrows in explorer are not drawn right. See image from oldman.
Known and in the list. Caused by a bug in the toolbar where it doesn't generate a DISABLED bitmap correctly from the normal one.
dsp8195 wrote:When Start Menu popups, the Start button does not stay pressed. Very minor thing, really, yet noticeable.
Known, although I forgot to add it to the list.

Thanks.

gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

oldman wrote:Missing entries on the Taskbar by the clock (MWSnap shows an icon there normally).
By the way, if that means you know some program that should create a tray icon, works in trunk, but fails in the branch, could you please create an issue at JIRA, with more information?

oldman

Post by oldman »

More observations.

[ external image ]

In this image I have opened MWSnap and the Task Manager.

1) The image shows a blue line along the bottom, from the MWSnap entry to the clock box, with a gap in the middle.
2) If the mouse arrow is move down onto the Taskbar, it is changed into the double arrow for enlarging the Taskbar (normal so far), but if it is moved to be entirely within the the Taskbar, then moved to the left or the right, it only changes back to the normal arrow pointer when it reaches the MWSnap entry or the clock box!

These seem to me, to be a faults!

I have noticed that one of the clock digits (two in my first image above) is blurred. When the minimized Task Manager is maximized, the digit is then clear, but when the digit is up-dated, the old one seems to not have been cleared, making it look blurred. Minimizing and maximizing the Task Manager, clears the digit.

When the Task Manager is minimized it shows a blue icon on the taskbar, I have seen the blue shown as the background to the clock (this is not a regular occurrence), which got me thinking that the icons which are normally positioned at the side of the clock are being positioned underneath the clock (is this a daft idea?).
by gigaherz » 27 Jun 2014 13:54
oldman wrote:* Taskbar entries for opened windows are not alined horizontally central.
You mean vertically? If so, it's known and in the list, otherwise that's not how Windows 2003 or the old explorer do it.
Yes, vertically.

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

oldman wrote: 1) The image shows a blue line along the bottom, from the MWSnap entry to the clock box, with a gap in the middle.
It seems to be the same shade of blue in the background, and the gap is around the same size as the text in the button. I wonder if there's actually a correlation between those pairs (color of the line with the background, size of the gap with the size of the string). Could you try both with a different background and a different app, just for curiosity?

dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

Bugs I've found so far:

* The child popup menus of Start Menu keep flashing (forced redraw?) when the new item is selected
* When the Start Menu's sub-menu is about to switch to displaying another sub-menu, Explorer freezes for about 1 second before showing it

oldman

Post by oldman »

mrugiero wrote:
oldman wrote: 1) The image shows a blue line along the bottom, from the MWSnap entry to the clock box, with a gap in the middle.
It seems to be the same shade of blue in the background, and the gap is around the same size as the text in the button. I wonder if there's actually a correlation between those pairs (color of the line with the background, size of the gap with the size of the string). Could you try both with a different background and a different app, just for curiosity?
[ external image ]

It still looks blue to me!

petr-akhlamov

Post by petr-akhlamov »

Hello. Here is a list of bugs and unimplemented features noticed by me and are absent from the list:
1)Language switcher
(because the language switch in Windows, not a program in the system tray, and separate panel on the taskbar.)
2)Menu panel
Keyboard can not open the submenu opens the following menu.
Example:
I open the keyboard "view". Keyboard button "down" I switch to "toolbars".
  1. Press the "right" to open the submenu and focus switches to "favorites".
  2. button "space" open "toolbars". to go back to the "view", click the keyboard button "left" focus switches to menu Edit
3)Quick launch on taskbar
It would be nice to borrow some possibilities of the old Explorer
4)Setting Menu (Start>Settings>Administration)
  1. Device Manager
  2. Event Viewer
  3. Service Manager
  4. System Configuration
5)Virtual desktops
6)Start>Search>Search program
7) Button Help and Support
Please do that in the "start" when you click on "Help and Support" does not open the main page of the site ReactOS, and https://reactos.org/about-reactos. For there the user can learn what he can help and read FAQ.

bc1_

Post by bc1_ »

The forward / backward functionality of explorer is not working quite properly.
For example select My Computer on desktop, then open C:
Use backward, then forward, then again backward and so on.
The buttons sometimes won't work, and the locations (C: and My Computer)
toggle clicking the same buttons.