COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Webunny »

This is the (pseudosemi)official Community Wallpaper Contest!! 8-)


http://postimg.org/gallery/bee8d9pi/


I'll post a more poll/voting like post (or link to it) on this post/thread, but for the time being - because I don't want z98 to come down on poor lil' me, let's do this a bit professionally and well organised.

First, before we actually start with the voting, I would go to the preliminary efforts here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13352

It's the old thread where people started posting wallpapers at random, and wanted feedback. Feedback is good. It allows you to finetune or alter your wallpapers before you apply the (definite) version(s) for the voting contest!

Some rules:

1)Everyone with a forum-account can participate
2)Everyone who suggests something to be used as wallpaper, must either have all the copyrights to the work, or assert that it is public domain or CC0. If you have the (copy)rights, you must place it under CC0 or in the public domain. (maybe GPL or CC - BY is ok too, but I'll have to get confirmation of that by vic or z98) When placing the wallpaper on here for voting, one is OBLIGED to explicitly say what licence it us under.
3)To not get bogged down in a plethora of continuous suggestions (you never know how active the fanbase can become ;) ) only 10 pictures per person may be suggested.
4)When the voting starts, every person gets 5 votes. This time, one can use cumulation, and thus give all 5 votes to one wallpaper, or divert it over several, as one sees fit.
5)The (5) wallpapers with the highest votes get to be declared the winners and presented as wallpapers to be incorporated into ROS.

But, as said, first the 'preparing' stage, before the actual voting project starts on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13352
Last edited by Webunny on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi Webunny!
I like a lot people being proactive, however, before placing a contest, it'll be so cool if you first knock, at least, my door. It's called "coordinated proactivity", otherwise it falls in "wild proactivity".
Why?
1)Because the contest ends with 5 wallpapers in the RCE, and well, even if it is a Community edition there is something called "coordinators" of it. And I am not against to add 5 wallpapers created by the Community, but I am full against people "forcing" me to do such. This is the first notice of you willing to create such a Contest.
2)Because if you can create a contest of 5 wallpapers being added, tomorrow a newcomer can create a contest called "ReactOS NEW LOGO CONTEST!" or even better "REACTOS SEXPAPER CONTEST to be added!" or "ReactOS Banning Contest", why not? btw, (pseudosemi)official?
3)Because Community decisions are not just taken with Forum members but there are also a lot of backers not in these forums but in the ReactOS Community Site. So probably just announcing it here is not fair.
4)Because there are a lot of strategy actions going on ReactOS Community Edition. One was an Indiegogo campaign, and there are some others planned for the short future. If you would have contacted me, and not going in your own (not the first time, I had said that to you), you'd have know that one of the next PR actions is selecting a Wallpaper, and creating PR buzz about it: including Press releases, uploading a Poll in the ReactOS Community Edition site, etc . And I think that a whole campaign about choosing a Wallpaper with a lot of Media, fuzz, Twitter, Facebook and "movement" outside this forum is really cool for ReactOS project.
But of course I can just tell you all of this if you would have contacted me.
Now what should I do?
Closing this thread and being the bad wolf?Or letting it open and losing a nice opportunity of PR in the short future to knock Media and Press atracting new guys to ReactOS?
What should I do?
So please, if you have cool ideas, and I love people with cool ideas, please share first in private, at least with me, and I'd have told you all of this, and probably we could have gone towards a combinated actions with much more repercusion out there.
And no, now it's not the time, because it means me moving from the 500 backers to updating the Community site, and because i think it's much better to make the PR strikes when the RCE is about to be released engaging new community around it.
*sigh*

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Z98 »

He hasn't made a claim that this would go into the community edition. Everything I've seen indicates that this is intended for a point release.

solid_black
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 am

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by solid_black »

From this topic: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13352&start=15#p109515
Webunny wrote:Maybe this would be an excellent way of getting some community involvement? It's not THAT difficult for the community to come up with a potential wallpaper (we see the proof now), so contrary to coding, this is something that can be feasibly done by any of us. We could also vote for it, just like on some other topics. This would increase involvement of the community in a way that doesn't really derail anything or where the devs should feel they have to clamp down on (like with the slogan).

I think this is an excellent way for getting some community bonding, and someone of PR (vicamaral) could take it up and make it a bit more 'official'. What do you say, vicamaral? For instance, why not, at least for the RCE, put, say, 5 extra wallpapers in there? People here could show their suggestions/creations (provided it is GPL or CC0 licence or public domain), and one lets the community decide by vote, and the top 5 wins. It's an easy way to organise something with the community, without any impact coding wise, so the devs should be ok with it.
Webunny wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:Regarding Wallpapers...Now I am using what I call "Confortable" wallpapers.
Long time ago I was using nature, castles, cities, however, the icons on top of them werent fit nice, aka they were difficult to spot due to the contrast. So now I am using wallpapers but which has plain colors in large areas, preferible black areas, so the icons are spottable.
Yes, ok, but what about the idea to include some new wallpapers made/found by and chosen/voted for by the community?
Webunny wrote:I reiterate my question/proposal for the devs or PR to 'officialise' a contest, with voting, for a number of new wallpapers to be included. At least in the Community Edition. It would be a simple yet great way to gain some more community involvement, and with this, devs can't feel itchy about losing control or messing things up or whatever.
Z98 wrote:You're free to hold a vote, just be aware that we hold final veto about what goes into an official release and any submissions must be made by someone who owns all copyright to the image and is willing to grant the project a perpetual and unrestricted use license.
Webunny wrote:Fine, I'll organise it, then.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:Hi Webunny!
I like a lot people being proactive, however, before placing a contest, it'll be so cool if you first knock, at least, my door. It's called "coordinated proactivity", otherwise it falls in "wild proactivity".
Why?
1)Because the contest ends with 5 wallpapers in the RCE, and well, even if it is a Community edition there is something called "coordinators" of it. And I am not against to add 5 wallpapers created by the Community, but I am full against people "forcing" me to do such. This is the first notice of you willing to create such a Contest.
2)Because if you can create a contest of 5 wallpapers being added, tomorrow a newcomer can create a contest called "ReactOS NEW LOGO CONTEST!" or even better "REACTOS SEXPAPER CONTEST to be added!" or "ReactOS Banning Contest", why not? btw, (pseudosemi)official?
3)Because Community decisions are not just taken with Forum members but there are also a lot of backers not in these forums but in the ReactOS Community Site. So probably just announcing it here is not fair.
4)Because there are a lot of strategy actions going on ReactOS Community Edition. One was an Indiegogo campaign, and there are some others planned for the short future. If you would have contacted me, and not going in your own (not the first time, I had said that to you), you'd have know that one of the next PR actions is selecting a Wallpaper, and creating PR buzz about it: including Press releases, uploading a Poll in the ReactOS Community Edition site, etc . And I think that a whole campaign about choosing a Wallpaper with a lot of Media, fuzz, Twitter, Facebook and "movement" outside this forum is really cool for ReactOS project.
But of course I can just tell you all of this if you would have contacted me.
Now what should I do?
Closing this thread and being the bad wolf?Or letting it open and losing a nice opportunity of PR in the short future to knock Media and Press atracting new guys to ReactOS?
What should I do?
So please, if you have cool ideas, and I love people with cool ideas, please share first in private, at least with me, and I'd have told you all of this, and probably we could have gone towards a combinated actions with much more repercusion out there.
And no, now it's not the time, because it means me moving from the 500 backers to updating the Community site, and because i think it's much better to make the PR strikes when the RCE is about to be released engaging new community around it.
*sigh*

*sigh* indeed.

I knocked, alright. It seems in vain. You must have missed the whole, long, elaborate, hardly-to-miss, linked-to debate/thread where I asked input of you (PR/dev) guys and made the question if I can go ahead with it...

Again: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13352&start=30#p109614

Bottomline: you were too hasty and premature in all your assumptions and conclusions and thus were in error. (also not the first time, I had said that to you).

I didn't see you chip in there apart from one post (so at least you must have been aware of the thread), though I made my proposal/suggestion before your post and you could as well have given any input there and then. But anyway; z98 said 'You're free to hold a vote', so that's what I did or will do. (Hence also my humoristic terminology of 'pseudosemi-official'). The claim that I'm now 'forcing' it, is a bit much, seen in that context. And I'm using an euphemism.

It doesn't really matter if it's the RCE or not, that's not the main point - though it would fit well the 'community' topic. If that would give problems because it was planned as a not-materialised bonus/subgoal there or because you feel every last backer needs a vote on the wallpaper too or whatever, no problem; let's do it for the main ROS, then. Note also that I say the pictures were going to be 'presented as wallpapers', not that it's guaranteed that they will be incorporated as such. This was exactly to avoid 'being forced' and another 'we hold the final veto' z98-debate again.

But, you know...maybe you should read up on that other thread. It'll avoid much duplication here. I know you're busy, but claiming I didn't knock was rather premature, and, seen in hindsight, pretty ironical. Even if you first missed it, you could at least have bothered to check it out *before* you respond to it. I've linked to it TWICE in my post, for cry'in out loud.
Last edited by Webunny on Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Black_Fox »

When nobody opens the door, the knocking doesn't authorize you to go inside. When inside uninvited, people will get angry with you even if you knocked :| .

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:When nobody opens the door, the knocking doesn't authorize you to go inside. When inside uninvited, people will get angry with you even if you knocked :| .
1)---->
Z98 wrote:You're free to hold a vote, just be aware that we hold final veto about what goes into an official release and any submissions must be made by someone who owns all copyright to the image and is willing to grant the project a perpetual and unrestricted use license.
When somebody else in the house says 'come right in', you *are* invited, and thus you can enter. And the other house-member - if he has issues with it - shouldn't complain afterwards against the one who was invited.

2)Even if no one would have 'invited', it would still be wrong to claim I didn't knock, when I did. Thus "This is the first notice of you willing to create such a Contest." is untrue, whatever way you turn it. It was only *presumed* I didn't make a prior notice, just like it was presumed I wasn't 'invited'. That presumption was wrong.

milon
Posts: 969
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by milon »

I don't think there's a conflict here.

vicmarcal wants an awesome wallpaper(s) for ReactOS CE, and he should want that. I'm sure we all want that. Webunny wants the community to contribute some wallpapers for trunk/point. If anything, this will create a larger pool of potential for vicmarcal (etc?) to draw from for ReactOS CE.

The only potential conflict I see is if vicmarcal/etc wants something in ReactOS CE that's not available in trunk, in which case the submitted wallpapers shouldn't necessarily be made public right off the bat. Here is one way of handling that:
- All submissions are uploaded to a place specified by vicmarcal
- vicmarcal et al reserve any submissions that are good candidates for ReactOS CE
- vicmarcal releases the remaining candidates to the community for voting to include in trunk / point release
- Any wallpapers not used in ReactOS CE could also be opened for release into trunk/point at a future date
- Anyone submitting to the contest needs to agree to these terms and allow the ReactOS foundation to use the submitted wallpaper as they wish (you know - standard release & disclaimer stuff)

Thoughts?

Nemerian
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 7:19 am

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Nemerian »

vicmarcal wrote:"REACTOS SEXPAPER CONTEST to be added!"
Can we have one of those?

Nemerian
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 7:19 am

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Nemerian »

milon wrote: The only potential conflict I see is if vicmarcal/etc wants something in ReactOS CE that's not available in trunk, in which case the submitted wallpapers shouldn't necessarily be made public right off the bat. Here is one way of handling that:
- All submissions are uploaded to a place specified by vicmarcal
- vicmarcal et al reserve any submissions that are good candidates for ReactOS CE
- vicmarcal releases the remaining candidates to the community for voting to include in trunk / point release
- Any wallpapers not used in ReactOS CE could also be opened for release into trunk/point at a future date
- Anyone submitting to the contest needs to agree to these terms and allow the ReactOS foundation to use the submitted wallpaper as they wish (you know - standard release & disclaimer stuff)

Thoughts?
That's a great idea.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Webunny »

milon wrote:I don't think there's a conflict here.

vicmarcal wants an awesome wallpaper(s) for ReactOS CE, and he should want that. I'm sure we all want that. Webunny wants the community to contribute some wallpapers for trunk/point. If anything, this will create a larger pool of potential for vicmarcal (etc?) to draw from for ReactOS CE.

The only potential conflict I see is if vicmarcal/etc wants something in ReactOS CE that's not available in trunk, in which case the submitted wallpapers shouldn't necessarily be made public right off the bat. Here is one way of handling that:
- All submissions are uploaded to a place specified by vicmarcal
- vicmarcal et al reserve any submissions that are good candidates for ReactOS CE
- vicmarcal releases the remaining candidates to the community for voting to include in trunk / point release
- Any wallpapers not used in ReactOS CE could also be opened for release into trunk/point at a future date
- Anyone submitting to the contest needs to agree to these terms and allow the ReactOS foundation to use the submitted wallpaper as they wish (you know - standard release & disclaimer stuff)

Thoughts?
Fine with me. It's not that it had to be in RCE per sé. My very first intention was for the trunk-version, but then I thought it could be used for the RCE too. But if vic wants to make a PR-stunt of it and garner a bit of extra attention with the ROS Community Edition, there is nothing that impedes that. I would suggest going the other way, however, and *starting* with a vote here on the forum for trunk. The reason is, that it's far easier to organise and less grand-scale (in contrast to bringing all backers as voters in too). It could be seen as a testbed and general repetition for the grand wallpaper vote later this year, then, when vic goes for it with the RCE.

By then, things might have changed, and besides, the RCE and trunk don't *have* to have the same wallpapers anyway; it's what the respective communities decide on that.

Edit:

oh yeah; I've made a gallery:

http://postimg.org/gallery/bee8d9pi/

justincase
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by justincase »

My thought would be to make this a Wallpaper creation/gathering effort so that a Community Edition vote would have some material for people to vote for. (can't very well hold a vote for things that don't exist yet ;))

And since a forum vote was kind of OKed by Z98, perhaps a percentage of the final votes could be voted toward by forum members, while the majority of the decision would be made by the RCE backers, that way anyone could vote, and the backers would get some ... uh, favoritism (for their financial contributions). This could perhaps even be done by holding the forum vote for half of the final say and the backers votes for the other half, then when the voting process starts tell the backers that they can vote on the forum too if they sign up.

Obviously the decision is up to the project coordinators, but those are a couple of suggestions which I think could likely be accepted by both the forum members & the RCE backers if one of them were to be chosen by the ReactOS guys.

it shouldn't be all that hard to find a good compromise, and if you don't like mine, feel free to come up with something better.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

Z98
Release Engineer
Posts: 3379
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 8:16 pm
Contact:

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Z98 »

My ok'ing it was for a point release, not the community edition.

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Webunny »

justincase wrote:My thought would be to make this a Wallpaper creation/gathering effort so that a Community Edition vote would have some material for people to vote for. (can't very well hold a vote for things that don't exist yet ;))

And since a forum vote was kind of OKed by Z98, perhaps a percentage of the final votes could be voted toward by forum members, while the majority of the decision would be made by the RCE backers, that way anyone could vote, and the backers would get some ... uh, favoritism (for their financial contributions). This could perhaps even be done by holding the forum vote for half of the final say and the backers votes for the other half, then when the voting process starts tell the backers that they can vote on the forum too if they sign up.

Obviously the decision is up to the project coordinators, but those are a couple of suggestions which I think could likely be accepted by both the forum members & the RCE backers if one of them were to be chosen by the ReactOS guys.

it shouldn't be all that hard to find a good compromise, and if you don't like mine, feel free to come up with something better.
I don't think we should make it too complicated.

While I mentioned RCE myself a few times - but maybe z98 missed that -, originally I *was* thinking about the 'normal' release, true. It was never a 'must' for me though, one way or the other. Since vic is apparently having the same thoughts about wallpapers for the RCE later in the year and with a bigger scope of including all the backers of IGG (apparently), we can just go for the original intend, and make a much smaller, simpler create/vote-attempt here, for a wallpaper for a normal release. As said, it could prove a useful first, small testbed and a learning experience, before the other one is made by Vic. That way, it also doesn't come in the way of negating a PR-effort with the later, more-encompassing wallpaper-contest; the two are separate projects, not influencing eachother except the smaller one as giving a prior experience. As long as there are no inherent problems with that from vic or z98, I'll just continue, with this smaller scope in mind.
Last edited by Webunny on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: COMMUNITY WALLPAPER CONTEST!

Post by Black_Fox »

Webunny wrote:
Black_Fox wrote:When nobody opens the door, the knocking doesn't authorize you to go inside. When inside uninvited, people will get angry with you even if you knocked :| .
1)---->
Z98 wrote:You're free to hold a vote, just be aware that we hold final veto about what goes into an official release and any submissions must be made by someone who owns all copyright to the image and is willing to grant the project a perpetual and unrestricted use license.
When somebody else in the house says 'come right in', you *are* invited, and thus you can enter. And the other house-member - if he has issues with it - shouldn't complain afterwards against the one who was invited.
2)Even if no one would have 'invited', it would still be wrong to claim I didn't knock, when I did. Thus "This is the first notice of you willing to create such a Contest." is untrue, whatever way you turn it. It was only *presumed* I didn't make a prior notice, just like it was presumed I wasn't 'invited'. That presumption was wrong.
Yeah... point taken.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests