Wine Internet Explorer

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Oddjob64

Wine Internet Explorer

Post by Oddjob64 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:45 am

Ever since I've been trying out ReactOS I've noticed the browser located on C:\Program File\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. It seems like a crude copy of Internet Explorer 6, and it's a single EXE. I've always have a couple of questions about this:

-Is this intended to become the default browser in ReactOS?
-If so, do you or the Wine team plan to develop it into a full browser?
-Arent't there trademark issues with shipping a browser named Internet Explorer?

This doesn't seem to be answered anywhere, and I'd like to know. I'm writting from that same browser BTW. Thanks.

PurpleGurl

Re: Wine Internet Explorer

Post by PurpleGurl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:06 am

I am sure the file and folder names are just for compatibility purposes. They are not the name of the ROS version.

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:15 am

If I get it correctly, the idea is for reactos.org to never provide a default browser, but to let distributions choose that instead. The only pieces of IE that are meant to be cloned by ReactOS are the ones that expose Windows APIs (IIRC, mshtml exposes some), and those are wrapped around the Gecko engine, AFAIK.

Frontier

Post by Frontier » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 am

It's not a priority to write our own browser, but it is a huge priority to have firefox, opera, and chrome working smoothly. The small gecko wrapper around explorer will probably stay quite minimal.

karlexceed

Post by karlexceed » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Personally, I'd love to see ANY decent browser bundled with ROS. Beyond that, I think it would be a good idea to simply have ONE version of each software title in RAPPS, like the most recent known to work and maybe with an 'advanced' option to use older versions. It's really confusing to try to figure out, "Okay, do I want Firefox v2.4, or Firefox v29? Which is newer? Which is more stable?"

Webunny

Post by Webunny » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:55 pm

karlexceed wrote:Personally, I'd love to see ANY decent browser bundled with ROS. Beyond that, I think it would be a good idea to simply have ONE version of each software title in RAPPS, like the most recent known to work and maybe with an 'advanced' option to use older versions. It's really confusing to try to figure out, "Okay, do I want Firefox v2.4, or Firefox v29? Which is newer? Which is more stable?"
I second that.If you go look at youtube for people that have tried out ROS, this is one of the most common complaints about it: they look for a browser, but don't find one. They think the explorer is the browser, often. And come back disillusioned. Yes, they can, theorethically, go to rapps and download/install one, but nobody of the 'normal' users does that. Heck, most don't even note rapps, let alone they click on it.

In fact, if similarity to *winXP* is what is sought after, it would even make more sense to include a browser. XP did it too. Only fairly recently, one has begon with the 'browser-choice-page' on windows versions.

solid_black

Post by solid_black » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Webunny wrote:
karlexceed wrote:Personally, I'd love to see ANY decent browser bundled with ROS. Beyond that, I think it would be a good idea to simply have ONE version of each software title in RAPPS, like the most recent known to work and maybe with an 'advanced' option to use older versions. It's really confusing to try to figure out, "Okay, do I want Firefox v2.4, or Firefox v29? Which is newer? Which is more stable?"
I second that.If you go look at youtube for people that have tried out ROS, this is one of the most common complaints about it: they look for a browser, but don't find one. They think the explorer is the browser, often. And come back disillusioned. Yes, they can, theorethically, go to rapps and download/install one, but nobody of the 'normal' users does that. Heck, most don't even note rapps, let alone they click on it.

In fact, if similarity to *winXP* is what is sought after, it would even make more sense to include a browser. XP did it too. Only fairly recently, one has begon with the 'browser-choice-page' on windows versions.
There will be ReactOS Setup Manager in ROS CE that will hopefully fix the problem you're talking about.

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:04 am

i think that NetSurf is a good option as a browser for ReactOS (needs more windows/reactos developers)

Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:08 am

Part of the problem is that in Windows XP, Internet Explorer is part of the architecture of the OS. To quote Wikipedia:
It is unclear what it means to "remove IE" because such a removal depends on being able to determine which files or functions on an installed Windows system are part of IE — that is, to draw a line between IE and the rest of Windows. Microsoft has held that this is not meaningful; that in Windows 98 and newer versions, "Internet Explorer" is not a separate piece of software but simply a brand name for the web browsing and HTML rendering capacities of the Windows operating system.
This is reflected on the fact that many components of Internet Explorer (the rendering engine, the security zones, the certificate store, most settings, etc) are shared through the system (and used by many programs, for example Outlook uses the security zones, browsers like Maxthon use the rendering engine, and Chromium uses the certificate store), and that Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer 6 even share the same GUI (allowing for seamless FTP viewing for example).

I guess here we are faced with the same question — where to draw the line between the web browser and other system components. I guess we could implement everything short of an actual application for web browsing. Or we could add basic web page viewing functionality to explorer-new, like the current explorer already does — that would be a basic implementation of the web browser, without fancy stuff like cookies, JavaScript, extensions, bookmarks, viewing settings, etc. (By the way, what about ActiveX? Is that relevant for things other than the browser itself?)

And on a related note, I remember reading that the HTML engine (mshtml.dll) in ReactOS is a discontinued version of Gecko. Any plans to switch to an updated alternative, like KHTML or Blink?

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:18 am

By the way, what about ActiveX? Is that relevant for things other than the browser itself?
ActiveX is sometimes used for DRM by Microsoft and some Windows+IE only websites and applications.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

middings

Post by middings » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:07 am

Oddjob64 wrote:Any plans to switch to an updated alternative (to Gecko), like KHTML or Blink?
Last August an enthusiast for another search engine raised the issue of replacing Gecko with another HTML engine. The discussion that followed on that thread in the ReactOS Forum will answer your question. See "[Q]NetSurf instead of Gecko". Read the entire thread and return here if you have any other questions. (Observe the Forum rule about not posting to old threads.)

Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:47 am

A notable example for the use of ActiveX is Visual Basic. It can also be used to distribute visual components, controls, ... in a language independent matter.

I guess a browser without support for javascript and cookies is not of much use today.

karlexceed

Post by karlexceed » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Of course, IE + ActiveX was also used by MS for Windows Update functionality in XP.