PUSH YOUR APP contest (IGG)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: PUSH YOUR APP contest (IGG)

Post by Webunny »

Ok, so it's:

- GIMP: 3
- ROSBE: 1
- FireFox: 1
- 4t Tray Minimizer: 1
- allSnap: 1
- Taskbar Shuffle: 1
- Fallout 2: 1
- Adobe Flash CS3: 1

Right?

Now that an old game is mentioned, I will vote one of my own votes (it doesn't count for more than any of your votes, don't worry ;) ) on the game I originally imagined to use my pushvote on:

Ur-Quan Masters HD (http://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/): 1

I've managed to get the original game on ROS, but somehow, the HD version doesn't work (it's still 2D though). I'll keep my other two votes for later. :-)

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

I just realized it was three votes per user (I assumed my vote for Fallout 2 didn't count, because I thought it was one and I voted for GIMP; anyway, knowing it's three, I'll keep that vote there). When we say "Firefox", is it just the browser, or the idea is something like being able to use Firefox with the common plugins (*cof* Flash *cof*). If it's just Firefox, put my third vote on Flash. Otherwise, Firefox.

justincase

Post by justincase »

mrugiero wrote:
justincase wrote:
mrugiero wrote:NOW, if it is about what I would love to see working, it would be Fallout 2. But nobody will second me :P
Actually I would vote for any of a number of 3D video games, however the IndieGoGo Campaign specifically states that the app push perk is limited to non-3D-applications :cry:
But Fallout 2 is 2D, it simulates 3D by using an isometric perspective.
Interesting, I haven't actually played any Fallout games, and assumed that they were all 3D because the only one I've seen played was 3D.
mrugiero wrote:When we say "Firefox", is it just the browser, or the idea is something like being able to use Firefox with the common plugins (*cof* Flash *cof*). If it's just Firefox, put my third vote on Flash. Otherwise, Firefox.
I don't think Flash or other plugins would be included by a vote for Firefox, however, ensuring that the plugin system itself works would (I think) be part of supporting Firefox, so they most likely would have to have basic (secondary) support for at least 1 plugin.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

milon

Post by milon »

@Webunny: My vote for a GUI USETUP doesn't count then?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

milon wrote:@Webunny: My vote for a GUI USETUP doesn't count then?
Hi milon,
Webunny wants to submit his vote(s) from the "Push your app" perk on your Community behalf. Sadly "Push your app" is limited to push apps, and not features. There was some Stretch Goals set that if we would have reached, they would have unblocked extra features (as probably a GUI setup). However we didnt, yet.

milon

Post by milon »

Fair enough. I just wanted to know either way. :)

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Hmm. Been away for a few days. Can someone give me a recap/count on which apps got what votes? (Edit: ok, did it myself.) I would suggest people make all their last votes known (since you have 3 each). To make sure we don't get in any troubles counting votes at the last minute (when I can submit it in the time-window that will open up again), I'm going to only count the votes here on the forum which came BEFORE the IGG has ended. Aka, the moment IGG stops (time zero), no votes here will be counted any more and all that are mentiooned here after IGG stops will be regarded as invalid. Just saying. ;)

So, since there is only 70 hours left, now is the time to cast your last votes!

My two last votes will go to Firefox (the latest version) working perfectly on ROS (it still has some problems now), and Astroburn Lite.

I think the list then is (correct me if I'm wrong):

- FireFox: 2
- Adobe Flash CS3: 2
- Ur-Quan masters HD: 1
- Fallout 2: 1
- ROSBE: 1
- Astroburn Lite: 1

Note that you can't put all your 3 votes to the same app. To get some more chance on overlapping, you have to choose for 3 different apps. And, as said, this voting will stop when the IGG project stops.
Last edited by Webunny on Fri May 30, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Webunny wrote:I would suggest people make all their last votes known (since you have 3 each).
Could you please explain the basic premise once again? People here will have a "sub"vote and you will distribute your votes according to what forum goers agreed to in this thread? Anyone can have a vote in this?
BTW, currently I counted 14 votes, so 1 is missing probably.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:
Webunny wrote:I would suggest people make all their last votes known (since you have 3 each).
Could you please explain the basic premise once again? People here will have a "sub"vote and you will distribute your votes according to what forum goers agreed to in this thread? Anyone can have a vote in this?
BTW, currently I counted 14 votes, so 1 is missing probably.
Maybe it's this one: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13304&start=30#p109312

Or maybe someone didn't vote with all his 3 votes as of yet.

The premise is rather straightforward: I bought a 'push your app' vote on IGG, but instead of using it merely myself, I thought it would be a good idea to let the community on the forum decide where my vote should go to. I decided to give every poster - including myself ;) - on the forum 3 votes. Mind you, this doesn't mean 3 push-your-app votes, it means you get 3 votes HERE for my app vote. The reason is, that there are currently only a limited amount of people/posters who participate in this forum-voting, who all have one preferred app which is often pretty specific, and otherwise, you don't get any overlapping. But people also have a second and third app they want, usually, and thus overlapping is more likely when I give more than one vote. The app that has accumulated the most votes from different voters wins. If the most-voted-for apps have equal vote-points at the end of the voting, I'll decide the winner between those myself, based on the inherent merits I think the app(s) have.

The only conditions are that it has to be an app (see vicamaral's response; all votes for an app here should also be subjected to all the conditions for an app on IGG, obviously...so, for instance, voting for hardware or 3D apps has absolutely no sense). And that plugins, like Flash, count as separate apps, not included with, say, a browser - which I think is already the case on IGG as well, so maybe I shouldn't explicitly state that again. For the rest there are no additional conditions, except that the 3 votes are to be distributed among 3 different apps (no cumulation of all your votes for one app, thus. Otherwise, giving one multiple votes would be useless for the intended purpose), and that the voting here finishes when the IGG project finishes.
Last edited by Webunny on Fri May 30, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Alright, thanks for the explanation, now I see it clearly. In that case here are my 3 votes:
- Chrome
- Fallout 2
- ROSBE

One more question:
Webunny wrote:- Adobe Flash CS3: 1
mrugiero wrote:When we say "Firefox", is it just the browser, or the idea is something like being able to use Firefox with the common plugins (*cof* Flash *cof*). If it's just Firefox, put my third vote on Flash. Otherwise, Firefox.
Webunny wrote:- Adobe Flash CS3: 2
Are you both talking about the same Flash? Flash CS3 (app) and Flash Player (browser plugin) are quite different. Or maybe the Flash app already covers everything that is part of Flash plugin.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:Alright, thanks for the explanation, now I see it clearly. In that case here are my 3 votes:
- Chrome
- Fallout 2
- ROSBE

One more question:
Webunny wrote:- Adobe Flash CS3: 1
Webunny wrote:- Adobe Flash CS3: 2
Are you both talking about the same Flash? Flash CS3 (app) and Flash Player (browser plugin) are quite different. Or maybe the Flash app already covers everything that is part of Flash plugin.
Personally, I think it would include the plugin anyway, but it could be the devs interpret it otherwise. But anyway, it wasn't specified, and since a browser is a separated 'vote' from a plugin (including flash plugin) it still counts as a different app. If the original voter specifically wants his vote to go to the plugin, and *not* Flash CS3, he should explicitly say so, but it still would count as a vote for a different app than for the browser, which was his main point, imho.

Anyway, current list:

- FireFox: 2
- Adobe Flash CS3: 2
- Fallout 2: 2
- ROSBE: 2
- Ur-Quan masters HD: 1
- Astroburn Lite: 1
- Chrome: 1

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

I meant Flash as the player plugin (although I have no preference on it being the NSPlugin one or any other option).

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

mrugiero wrote:I meant Flash as the player plugin (although I have no preference on it being the NSPlugin one or any other option).
Do you want me to redo the (second) vote of flash CS3, then, and put one vote with 'flash plugin'?

justincase

Post by justincase »

Webunny wrote:Note that you can't put all your 3 votes to the same app. To get some more chance on overlapping, you have to choose for 3 different apps.
So I can't put my final vote on one of the apps I put an earlier vote on?
OK, I guess I can't put my final vote on RosBE.
So I guess I'll put my final vote on Taskbar Suffle

And that brings us to the following list
Votes (alphabetized by voter):
Black_Fox:
  • Chrome
  • Fallout 2
  • RosBE

jonaspm:
  • Firefox
  • GIMP
  • Adobe Flash CS3

justincase:
  • RosBE
  • GIMP
  • Taskbar Shuffle

MadWolf:
  • 4t Tray Minimizer
  • allSnap
  • Taskbar Shuffle

mrugiero:
  • GIMP
  • Fallout 2
  • Adobe Flash Plugin

Webunny:
  • Ur-Quan Masters HD
  • Firefox
  • Astroburn Lite

milon:
  • Graphical 1st stage installer (Unfortunately this doesn't count, did you want to vote for something else?)

Which counts out as:
  • GIMP: 3
    Fallout 2: 2
    Firefox: 2
    RosBE: 2
    Taskbar Shuffle: 2
    4t Tray Minimizer: 1
    Astroburn Lite: 1
    Adobe Flash CS3: 1
    Adobe Flash Plugin: 1
    allSnap: 1
    Chrome: 1
    Ur-Quan Masters HD: 1
So far GIMP appears to be winning.

Note: If you want to have a say in which app Webunny's "Push Your App" vote goes toward (and haven't already posted 3 votes) get your vote(s) in before the IndieGoGo Campaign is over.
Last edited by justincase on Fri May 30, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

oldman

Post by oldman »

justincase » 30 May 2014 16:39
oldman:
Were you wanting to vote for Palemoon?, Firefox? one on each? something else? (I don't knkow if Palemoon can be voted for, seeing as it's basically a rebranded build of Firefox)
No, I will not be voting, I shall just be watching from the side-line.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.