First ReactOS Community Edition perk sold out

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

theuserbl

First ReactOS Community Edition perk sold out

Post by theuserbl »

As I see, the perk "Single Board Computer" is sold out. From the perks, which at least one person have choosen, this is the perk with the highest money.

I wonder about it, that so many people choosing this perk. A computer, where you don't know, which processor, which graphics card, how many RAM, etc it have.
But it is one of the most lucrative perks. Now ten people have given at least $600 for it. 10 x $600 = $6,000.
Currently $18,293 are pledged to ReactOS Community Edition. So ca. a third of the pledged money comes from users, who choose the "Single Board Computer" perk!

Greatings
theuserbl

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: First ReactOS Community Edition perk sold out

Post by vicmarcal »

Yeah, basically these "I dont really care about specs, I do care about boosting you!" guys. And they get a Perk as result.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I am actually pleased to see that, as I was... in fact proposing it, in another thread. :)

Yes, "they" really DO care about their community!

Now, obviously, nobody is choosing this "for the power". But... for the uniqueness. Can you tell me, why a Raspberry Pi? Why a mechanic Swiss watch, if you can have a 5$ electronic watch from East Asia which will be more precise? Why does the Apple I nowadays belong to the most expensive electronic collection items EVER?

Now, if you order THAT SBC, you will get... a SPECIAL computer! A working thing, chosen and installed, you can be geeky and enjoy - without the risk to pick something incompatible. You get ReactOS not "in theory" but "in practice" - tested and tried by its very developers, custom installed just for you on your own special machine. You will get something unique, and already working. Go ahead, turn it on. You can have the future of ReactOS - now.

And I really believe, ReactOS should have offered a lot more of these (and maybe not quite at 600$... ;) ).

EDIT: Forgot to mention - that approach has worked CONSISTENTLY throughout computing history. a) Design a semi-useful but novel thing, b) sell it "ready-made" so that people can buy it & DO NOT require them to be "super rich and total geeks" to use it (relative to epoch and product). Examples: IBM 360 mainframe, PDP-series, Apple I & II, Visicalc, BASIC, IBM-PC, MS-DOS, Macintosh UI, Netbooks, Tablets...

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Aeneas wrote:
And I really believe, ReactOS should have offered a lot more of these (and maybe not quite at 600$... ;) ).
Really this fundraise was aiming more towards the "Push your apps" than the Hardware perks themselves.
Now the 10 lucky guys have a piece of history that no others have.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
Aeneas wrote:
Really this fundraise was aiming more towards the "Push your apps" than the Hardware perks themselves.
Now the 10 lucky guys have a piece of history that no others have.
I note that there seem to be a peak at the start (obviously), than the funding lost a bit of power after the first 10 days, but the last week there seems to be a small peak again (many, indeed, with the one-board-PC). Guess it's the result of a wave of new PR efforts? ;)

One thing though, is about the CD's. That was something I suggested, and while I want to buy one, the prices are just..insane. I mean, c'mon: 500 bucks per cd?! (And for a mere 100 bucks more one gets a SOC with ROS on it...) Even for a collectors' item, which I proposed, this is much too expensive - at least for me (and apparently, for everyone, up until now). If one had brought that back to something between 60 - 120 dollar, I think it would have sold too. Maybe one can give a "sales" period in the last day(s), for the smaller items that didn't sell anything? You know, like one does in shops with clothes sometimes; -75% off. :)

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

We don't sale off.
:p
Or yes
Who knows...
Really if we sale off we would remove the "signing" thing. Because as you can imagine, sending the Cd from Germany, to Russia, to USA so devs can sign and finally to the guy who bought the reward is a lot of money in UPS/air mail.
Hence its insane value.

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I definitely think 10 was too few for this perk. As mentioned, this perk brought in $6000, or 1/3 of all money donated, and running out may take a toll on the rest of the campaign. It was the perk that I was most likely to pick and, sadly, it ran out on pay day. I may still donate $200 for a hackbunny, if anyone ever explains what it is! That means less money for the project, but (as I explained in a different thread) I really can't afford to donate without getting something substantive in return. Other people in my situation may now donate a lot less, or nothing at all.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:We don't sale off.
:p
Or yes
Who knows...
Really if we sale off we would remove the "signing" thing. Because as you can imagine, sending the Cd from Germany, to Russia, to USA so devs can sign and finally to the guy who bought the reward is a lot of money in UPS/air mail.
Hence its insane value.
haha. Lol. I guess that's one way of calculating the appropriate insanity of it. :lol:

But seriously, still seems a lot, if I take the average price of, for instance, a US mail to EU. I didn't know ROS had THAT many devs. The lack of resources seems exaggerated! :mrgreen:

Maybe you could digitally sign it? ;-) Or maybe just signing a leaflet, and put that with the CD later on? (ordinary small mail shouldn't be more expensive than a few euro's a turn, so I doubt one would reach 500 bucks that way)

Well, anyway, it was only a suggestion. From the looks of it; the golden and other CD thingy won't bring up anything as it is now. So I would think better something than nothing. But you'll have to see you don't spend more money on it than it brings up, obviously.

Also: what dosguy said. It might have been better to double that allotted amount for the SOC. Of course, that's said in hindsight, and that's always easy. I guess one can't really know in front what is going to be successful and what not. But even that is again a good learning-school for the IGG campaign next year.

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Dear vicmarcal, I am sorry, but "pushing your apps" works only "so-so". You see that nobody went straight to the 10k-push, so there is no "commercial interest". Because all you can get is... an app running on ReactOS. As a matter of fact, for far less money and with way more stability, you will get your app running on Windows, Android, Mac OS X or iOS, and absolutely for free you will get your app running on Linux.

And yes, would it hurt to offer a few more SBCs? Like, "by popular demand"? "We the people" shall give ReactOS money, so ReactOS may take care of "us the people"! ;) It really can't make a difference whether you order/setup 10 or 25, but money-wise it CAN make a LOT of a difference! :)

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

It happens sometimes for other fundraisers to add another limited batch for higher price, meaning the first 10 SBCs could change into "early bird" options and another batch with 10 more SBCs could be added at, say, price of $700. Of course there are very special things (like forged swords for Kingdom Come or the special CDs for ROS) that are not increased in availability.

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Aeneas wrote:As a matter of fact, for far less money and with way more stability, you will get your app running on Windows, Android, Mac OS X or iOS, and absolutely for free you will get your app running on Linux.
I don't follow the logic leading to that, could you explain? Why would it cost nothing to have it running on Linux? Except from Windows (where it should be working right now), the same question is valid (I'm assuming your "less money" is about just paying the license, and assigning no cost to the porting process).
EDIT: Also, for a company with thousands of computers, the licensing costs for any of those OSes goes through the roof, and is usually far more money than U$S10k. Even with the discount they probably get for batch licensing, it will not cost less than U$S10 per computer, and that means it goes above U$S10k. That's the point of suggesting it's for corporate users actually.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

DOSGuy wrote:I definitely think 10 was too few for this perk. As mentioned, this perk brought in $6000, or 1/3 of all money donated, and running out may take a toll on the rest of the campaign. It was the perk that I was most likely to pick and, sadly, it ran out on pay day. I may still donate $200 for a hackbunny, if anyone ever explains what it is! That means less money for the project, but (as I explained in a different thread) I really can't afford to donate without getting something substantive in return. Other people in my situation may now donate a lot less, or nothing at all.
Yes, after they are sold is easy to say they were few. But took 1 month to sold those 10. So if we would have set 40, we would have failed miserably, and probably 10 weren't being sold.

Btw, by Popular Demand we have placed a NEW PERK! This time just 5 Single Board Computers will be sold! And they come with 3x Push your app votes!.
So if you are interested, you have a chance to buy them before they run out :)

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Cool news, thanks to the PR team for staying active and flexible!