ReactOS Community Edition Screenshots

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: ReactOS Community Edition Screenshots

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:We can keep looping in circles. And probably you didn't realize the point:

First of all, ReactOS vanilla edition can add (or not) the iconset from the Community. ReactOS vanilla is not forced to include the new iconset.
In the same way ReactOS vanilla edition can add (or not) other ReactOS Community features (as the ReactOS Setup Manager or the ReactOS Community Wallpaper).

So, why did I suggest an absolutly different iconset than current ReactOS vanilla one?
Because if you like Classic themes, then you already love Tango iconset, and you can keep with ReactOS vanilla (the enhanced ReactOS Community compatibility will in vanilla too since compatibility development is shared).

This way, those who doesn't like current ReactOS vanilla iconset because it looks oldish or classical have an alternative: the ReactOS Community Edition, to eyecandy their eyes.

That's the reason of having two incredible different iconsets. Classical vs Newer.
Yes, ok, but what 'newer' iconset will be choosen for the RCE? That's what this whole debate is about, after all. One can say 'the community decides', but how is it decided, then? As one can see, there are a lot of different opinions on it, and no way to objectively quantify what iconset is preferred by most: you'd need to create a poll for that.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

vicmarcal wrote:PS: There are now new XP iconsets for Linux Mint but I am not sure if they are "legal" (aka using XP icons extracted with Reshacker) but also they look so similar that it could confuse really the user and we can't go into such direction.

http://www.itworld.com/software/401399/ ... ux-mint-16
That's called XP theme, but actually is WinXP theme with Win7 icons :)

@Sand: Maybe I should write 5 posts in the row now, describing how I like Faenza in 4 of them and how I do not care about your freedom of opinion, like you just did? You are also breaking forum rules by posting several times in a row.

timmay2019

Post by timmay2019 »

Sand wrote:
they look like icons from the end of the 90's. And there seems to be only 190 icons
How did you determine it? I think it was inspired by Vista. Slick is Classic style. You do not like Classic?
Please tell me, what is so "innovative" in your Faenza?
Faenza: looks good with the theme and 100% better than Tango. I really like it in the desktop manager.
To me, Faenza is the only theme that is worse than Tango. Tango holds the second place in ugniness, yet far from Faenza.
Careful Sand, you are taking this way too personal. All I gave was my personal opinion based upon the screenshots you have given and the zip file you provided that only has 190 icons. We get that you hate Faenza with a passion. Not everyone else feels the same. And yes I don't like classic icons.
Sand wrote:
timmay2019 wrote:Before using icon sets:

Some more icons that I found that look nice (only skimmed over it so I don't know amount or licenses):
SnowIsh - http://ipholio.deviantart.com/art/SnowI ... s-38111923
Elementary - http://www.deviantart.com/art/elementary-Icons-65437279
The both are terrible, and the first one also has Mac branding. I really do not understand why a Windows-like OS should have Mac-style design.
Why not? We don't have to have the exact same look as windows. We can practically do whatever we want with ROS :) .

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

As said, they are "mockups". Intended they are not final.
Regarding votes and pools, right now "the Community decides" which Apps you want it to be compatible to.
You can still go to IndieGoGo and push which apps should it be compatible with:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reac ... /x/6842466

After the first ReactOS Community Edition is released, you can begin sharing thoughts and ideas.
Do you want to push a new iconset called "ReactOSet"?
Do you want tree-tabbed explorer?
Do you want using hand-type fonts?
All the ideas will be recopiled, and Polls again opened in a controlled and coordinated way.

Right now the only Poll opened is called IndieGoGo and the "Community can just, sadly, vote regarding Compatibility".
And I say sadly, because the Extra-Goals (which we didnt reach) would have opened new "polls".

I don't know if we should move this topic to Off-topic, as this is not related to ReactOS itself but to ReactOS Community Edition and it is derailing to how votes and casts are done. Or keep it here.
For now I keep it here. But again, ReactOS != ReactOS Community Edition :)

And now, let's calm down. Or I would be forced to close the thread. And you know I hate to do such a thing.
But as Mod, I would.

Sand

Post by Sand »

vicmarcal wrote: Because if you like Classic themes, then you already love Tango iconset, and you can keep with ReactOS vanilla (the enhanced ReactOS Community compatibility will in vanilla too since compatibility development is shared).
I do not like Tango. But Faenza IS NOT better than Tango, it is worse.
vicmarcal wrote:This way, those who doesn't like current ReactOS vanilla iconset because it looks oldish or classical have an alternative: the ReactOS Community Edition, to eyecandy their eyes.
What is "eyecandy" about Faenza? Is cardboard-style "eye-candy"?
Last edited by Sand on Mon May 12, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sand

Post by Sand »

timmay2019 wrote:
Sand wrote: Why not? We don't have to have the exact same look as windows. We can practically do whatever we want with ROS :) .
I am fed up with MacOS style lovers on Linux. MacOS has terrible design. It has 5% market share when Windows has 90%. This shows what most people want. And many bad changes on Linux and Windows are inspired by MacOS influence (including the idea to remove customizablity from Gnome and Win8).

Sand

Post by Sand »

vicmarcal wrote:Why Faenza was choosen as the potential alternative?

I am all eyes, if you find a complete iconset(please compare "completeness" against Faenza) which doesn't look squarish and really looks as XP, but doesn't confuse the user neither.
How many icons does Faenza have? How do you measure completeness? Is Gnome icon theme incomplete?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Sand wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:Why Faenza was choosen as the potential alternative?

I am all eyes, if you find a complete iconset(please compare "completeness" against Faenza) which doesn't look squarish and really looks as XP, but doesn't confuse the user neither.
How many icons does Faenza have? How do you measure completeness? Is Gnome icon theme incomplete?
You can download Faenza and check by yourself, comparing with the one you found. That way you will understand what completeness is, just by comparison.

manuel

Post by manuel »

gamax92 wrote:Actually, having used Faenza for a little bit in XP, I'd say it looks pretty good.

[ external image ]
nice screenshots ;)

gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

Well no, I meant that Faenza does look good and work, but I would still perfer something besides Faenza.
I'm not exactly sure how well that skin pack works, it's the one downloadable here:
http://hw1hmz.deviantart.com/art/Faenza ... -360854725
Cannot be used on ReactOS as of this writing, does not apply correctly

Also, what exactly did you mean by the tray icons being the wrong size?

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:PS: There are now new XP iconsets for Linux Mint but I am not sure if they are "legal" (aka using XP icons extracted with Reshacker) but also they look so similar that it could confuse really the user and we can't go into such direction.

http://www.itworld.com/software/401399/ ... ux-mint-16
I'm not seeing what is wrong with it. The argument seems based on assumptions that it 'could be illegal'. I don't see anything that would suggest that. (http://www.noobslab.com/2013/11/just-mo ... -wear.html)

I'm feeling very awkward towards an argument that 'it might be illegal, so better not use it' - and that coming from ROS. *WE* wouldn't appreciate if some people tried to argue ROS could be illegal and thus shouldn't be used, so we shouldn't do the same with other projects. One has no basis to claim that set is illegal, just like people have no basis to claim ROS is illegal (and let's face it, there ARE people saying exactly the same).

As for the last remark, that is flabbergasting to me. A similar set of icons will *confuse* the user? No, on the contrary: it will immediately feel familiar. That's the whole point. Why do you think windows themes for Linux are pretty popular? That's just because people are used to it and want them back. I doubt they suddenly think they're not using linux anymore: people are not that stupid. But they do want to have that familiar feel to it. Same goes for ROS. Besides, the issue is potentially irrelevant anyway. Say, you take another set which deviates more. And windows 9 happens to come out and has similar looking icons: are you then going to change it again, because people 'could get confused'?

Anyway, the argument seems spurious: if it would really confuse people, no-one would make windows-like icons. Seen the fact there are a lot of themes/icons around for other systems, it shows, on the contrary, that it's a popular request, not that it is confusing.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

Well, the thing about familiar things confusing the user, is that if they see these familiar icons they probably are more likely to try to use said icons in the way they are familiar with. For something like Linux this can be detrimental where the interface behind said icon can be different, and thus user is confused. Not only with, How to use this?, but with also, why does it not work the same?

In this case, a different icon may lead the user to think something is different, and may try not to just use the icon as the same way they are familiar with, but may try to investigate it first.

However, one of ReactOS's goals is to have an interface that is similar/same to Windows, so the familiar icons invite the user to use the icons the same, and they thus get the same result.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

My 1 cent about the general argument: "don't do this because that may confuse the user."
To this I answer: "Please stop taking users for idiots." (because you're going to turn them more idiots than they already are).

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Webunny wrote:
I'm not seeing what is wrong with it. The argument seems based on assumptions that it 'could be illegal'. I don't see anything that would suggest that. (http://www.noobslab.com/2013/11/just-mo ... -wear.html).
When searching for a Tango substitute, we found several XP themes for Linux iconsets, even we checked the Explorer++ ones, and we discovered that they were using icons extracted from Windows and hence illegal to use them.

However, the one I linked seems to have its own iconset and recently released, and they can be used if they are under GPL.
:)

I would have an eye on those...

middings

Post by middings »

Jon Scaife of DIY Media Home catalogued the icons in Windows 7 dll and exe icon libraries. He placed his results on a web page: Windows Icons: Full list with details, locations & images.

Code: Select all

101 %windir%\system32\compstui.dll   Common Property Sheet User Interface
 81 %windir%\system32\ddores.dll     Device Category Information and Resources
 99 %windir%\system32\ieframe.dll    Internet Explorer
219 %windir%\system32\imageres.dll   Windows Image Resource
129 %windir%\system32\mmcndmgr.dll   Microsoft Management Console Node Manager
113 %windir%\system32\moricons.dll   Windows NT Setup Icon Resources
164 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll   Network Connections Shell
 59 %windir%\system32\pnidui.dll     Network System Icons
306 %windir%\system32\shell32.dll    Windows Shell Common
207 %windir%\system32\wmploc.dll     Windows Media Player Resources
 38 %windir%\system32\pifmgr.dll     Windows NT PIF Manager Icon Resource Library
 31 %windir%\system32\wpdshext.dll   Portable Devices Shell Extension
 20 %windir%\system32\comres.dll     COM+ Resources
 21 %windir%\system32\dmdskres.dll   Disk Management Support Snap-In
 36 %windir%\system32\dsuiext.dll    Directory Service Common UI
 61 %windir%\system32\inetcplc.dll   Internet Control Panel
 18 %windir%\system32\mstsc.exe      Remote Desktop Connection Client
 13 %windir%\system32\mstscax.dll    Remote Desktop Services ActiveX Client
 47 %windir%\system32\setupapi.dll   Windows Setup API
  3 %windir%\system32\shdocvw.dll    Shell Doc Object and Control Library
 18 %windir%\system32\urlmon.dll     OLE32 Extension for Win32)
 22 %windir%\system32\wiashext.dll   Imaging Devices Shell Folder UI
 17 %windir%\system32\mmres.dll      General Audio Resources
Total: 1823. This total does not count the variations of size, color depth, or transparency available for each icon.

Icons don't grow on trees. I am grateful that others have authored alternative icon sets and made them freely available. I am happy there is a good enough icon set free for ReactOS to use right now.
[edit: fix URL]