ReactOS Community Edition Screenshots

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

timmay2019

Re: ReactOS Community Edition Screenshots

Post by timmay2019 »

Before using icon sets:
1. What we have to make sure when we select icon sets is that there needs to have a lot of icons to use. shell32 in windows i think have around 300 icons that I can choose from but there is far more icons I imagine.
2. The icons must be free and compatible with the GPL.
3. If possible, have an iconset that is worked on and hasn't stagnated.
4. have large icons (good to get 64x64 icons and larger)

Here is from my point of view of the icons talked about so far:
Slick: they look like icons from the end of the 90's. And there seems to be only 190 icons from the zip file provided which is very little.
Crux: looks awfully messy and hard to read.
Noveau XT 2: has a similar windows 7 look to them and looks nice.
Bluecurve: i dont mind bluecurve as it looks clean and simple. kind of like a mix of xp look with vista colours
Faenza: looks good with the theme and 100% better than Tango. I really like it in the desktop manager.

Some more icons that I found that look nice (only skimmed over it so I don't know amount or licenses):
SnowIsh - http://ipholio.deviantart.com/art/SnowI ... s-38111923
Elementary - http://www.deviantart.com/art/elementary-Icons-65437279

I recommend reading this funny website about don't do for GUI's and OS's. http://toastytech.com/guis/uirant.html. He even talks about ROS: http://toastytech.com/guis/indexwindows.html

It would be great if there is a how to in creating your own theme as I would like to experiment with icons and styles in ROS :).

gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

Actually, having used Faenza for a little bit in XP, I'd say it looks pretty good.

[ external image ]

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

gamax92 wrote:Actually, having used Faenza for a little bit in XP, I'd say it looks pretty good.

[ external image ]
Yeah, looks very good. What I see is that the start menu icons have the wrong sizes ;)

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Also have in mind that ReactOS Community Edition is the first release of "hopefully" several others where the Community rules it.
In this first release of the ReactOS Community Edition, you have the opportunity to decide which apps you want to see running compatible, so there is a "base" to begin constructing and adding new suggestion on top of it. And that could lead to ReactOS Community Edition 2.0.
The good part of this is that Community is getting involved and that is our main objective! :)

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

vicmarcal wrote:In this first release of the ReactOS Community Edition, you have the opportunity to decide which apps you want to see running compatible, so there is a "base" to begin constructing and adding new suggestion on top of it.
Talking about that, I think you all probably thought already about it, but I also think it's better to suggest something you already thought about than not-suggesting something you didn't, would it be a good idea, for the selected apps, to write new automated tests (including the ones with autokeys or however the suite was called) to add to the regression testing, so later iterations keep being polished for these apps.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

mrugiero wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:In this first release of the ReactOS Community Edition, you have the opportunity to decide which apps you want to see running compatible, so there is a "base" to begin constructing and adding new suggestion on top of it.
Talking about that, I think you all probably thought already about it, but I also think it's better to suggest something you already thought about than not-suggesting something you didn't, would it be a good idea, for the selected apps, to write new automated tests (including the ones with autokeys or however the suite was called) to add to the regression testing, so later iterations keep being polished for these apps.
I note down your suggestion!But yes, as part of the iteration process probably some AutoHotKeys tests will be created. However, the selected apps will be much more cared, so they will have testers assigned to them, which can perform much more tests than an AHK :)

Sand

Post by Sand »

From my POV all the Tango/GNOME2/Faenza sets have their advantages and are proven by time and number of users. Didn't know Noveau XT 2/Slick, but they seem nice enough too. Any of those can be used and all of them will have their proponents and opponents. However, it may be hard to reach a specific consensus with ReactOS's current limitation of only 1 icon set :-)
I only oppose Faenza of these. All other will be OK for me. Yet it is only Slick and Gnome2 default icon sets who fit the Reactos branding colors and design style.

Sand

Post by Sand »

they look like icons from the end of the 90's. And there seems to be only 190 icons
How did you determine it? I think it was inspired by Vista. Slick is Classic style. You do not like Classic?

Please tell me, what is so "innovative" in your Faenza?
Faenza: looks good with the theme and 100% better than Tango. I really like it in the desktop manager.
To me, Faenza is the only theme that is worse than Tango. Tango holds the second place in ugniness, yet far from Faenza.
Last edited by Sand on Mon May 12, 2014 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sand

Post by Sand »

timmay2019 wrote:Before using icon sets:

Some more icons that I found that look nice (only skimmed over it so I don't know amount or licenses):
SnowIsh - http://ipholio.deviantart.com/art/SnowI ... s-38111923
Elementary - http://www.deviantart.com/art/elementary-Icons-65437279
The both are terrible, and the first one also has Mac branding. I really do not understand why a Windows-like OS should have Mac-style design.

Sand

Post by Sand »

By the way. Note that Windows downloads device icons from Microsoft driver server (and the icons may come with drivers). As such, I think Reactos icon theme should not be that different from that of Windows (like Faenza is).

Here is a complete set of gnome icons from Gnome 2.32 (and I think Gnome still develops this theme). I think it inludes all icons ReactOS may need.

http://speedy.sh/gVKBd/gnome-icon-theme-2.31.0.tar.bz2

Sand

Post by Sand »

gamax92 wrote:I'll vote for the Slick icons as well.

Right, now I know what I was getting at. The whole squareness is what makes me not like it, since WfW3.11, 2K, XP, 7, OS X, Tango, Noveau XT 2, Crux, Bluecurve, or Slick don't feature entirely square icons.
Besides this, Faenza uses for folders the color of not painted pappe. And non-recognizability of some icons is already mentioned.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Sand wrote:
gamax92 wrote:I'll vote for the Slick icons as well.

Right, now I know what I was getting at. The whole squareness is what makes me not like it, since WfW3.11, 2K, XP, 7, OS X, Tango, Noveau XT 2, Crux, Bluecurve, or Slick don't feature entirely square icons.
Besides this, Faenza uses for folders the color of not painted pappe. And non-recognizability of some icons is already mentioned.
Isn't pappe german?

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Yes. Pappe == cardboard
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

We can keep looping in circles. And probably you didn't realize the point:

First of all, ReactOS vanilla edition can add (or not) the iconset from the Community. ReactOS vanilla is not forced to include the new iconset.
In the same way ReactOS vanilla edition can add (or not) other ReactOS Community features (as the ReactOS Setup Manager or the ReactOS Community Wallpaper).

So, why did I suggest an absolutly different iconset than current ReactOS vanilla one?
Because if you like Classic themes, then you already love Tango iconset, and you can keep with ReactOS vanilla (the enhanced ReactOS Community compatibility will in vanilla too since compatibility development is shared).

This way, those who doesn't like current ReactOS vanilla iconset because it looks oldish or classical have an alternative: the ReactOS Community Edition, to eyecandy their eyes.

That's the reason of having two incredible different iconsets. Classical vs Newer.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Why Faenza was choosen as the potential alternative?

Let's point that it would be much better if we can have designers creating our own iconset. However, there are no Designers in our Community(right now) willing to create 300 icons. If there is one, please contact me via PM. Also the money raised in the Indiegogo campaign is not enough to "hire a designer" and software and hardware compatibility has a greater priority.

So the only alternative is using a complete, not classical (check my post above), iconset.

We had done our work, and tried gnome and kde gpl iconsets. More than 100 were checked.
I personally did it, gonzoMd too, and we reached the same conclusion even if we didn't team when finding a valid iconset.

We have checked these Iconsets: http://kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=22x27
And also these other ones: http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=121

What we found is:
- Faenza is the only complete one, with bright (and not pale) colors, however it is square.
- Faenza has several "semi-iconsets" to replace some of the original Faenza icons (which gives us additional flexibility to replace an icon with other without issues)

What we found is:
- Bright iconsets but incompletes. Most of the iconsets are not full replacements but just replacing a couple of icons from the original Distro.
- Themed iconsets. From Radiactive ones to Goku ones.
- Metro iconsets.

I am all eyes, if you find a complete iconset(please compare "completeness" against Faenza) which doesn't look squarish and really looks as XP, but doesn't confuse the user neither.

PS: There are now new XP iconsets for Linux Mint but I am not sure if they are "legal" (aka using XP icons extracted with Reshacker) but also they look so similar that it could confuse really the user and we can't go into such direction.

http://www.itworld.com/software/401399/ ... ux-mint-16