ReactOS Community Edition Screenshots

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sand

Re: ReactOS Community Edition Screenshots

Post by Sand »

Slick icons from openSUSE's KDE3 distribution:

http://speedy.sh/F2jhe/slick.zip

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

In general, for the masses (granted, we're not there yet), I would suggest to stay as close as possible to winXP-look-a-like icons. The whole point is giving the lay public an as recognisable and thus comforting experience as possible, after all.

Sand

Post by Sand »

Webunny wrote:In general, for the masses (granted, we're not there yet), I would suggest to stay as close as possible to winXP-look-a-like icons. The whole point is giving the lay public an as recognisable and thus comforting experience as possible, after all.
I do not know any open-source icon set close in appearance to WinXP's icons. Also honestly, Vista/7/8 icon set is better than that of WinXP (and looks more classic rather than cartoonish XP style).

Sand

Post by Sand »

Some Open Source icon sets:

Noveau XT 2

http://www.linux.org.ru/gallery/9904478.png

Crux

http://www.linux.org.ru/gallery/7692878.png

Bluecurve

http://www.linux.org.ru/gallery/6135687.png

Slick (my preference)

http://www.linux.org.ru/gallery/3841036.png

Slick fits the best because it uses the same colors as Reactos logo and artwork.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Sand wrote:
Webunny wrote:In general, for the masses (granted, we're not there yet), I would suggest to stay as close as possible to winXP-look-a-like icons. The whole point is giving the lay public an as recognisable and thus comforting experience as possible, after all.
I do not know any open-source icon set close in appearance to WinXP's icons. Also honestly, Vista/7/8 icon set is better than that of WinXP (and looks more classic rather than cartoonish XP style).
I was not evaluating the merits of individual setts of icons. The fact remains, that we're trying to be a clone of winXP (ok, seen the legal wrangling in another thread: an 'alternative implementation'. When I say 'clone', from now on, I mean that, since 'AI' is already taken in IT land ;-)). The stated goal is also compatibility based on XP. Hence, the icons, to stay consistent, should be in the same style and also be as much XP-like. When one moves to win7, one could go for win7-like iconsets.

(Of course, one could simply have different sets and let people decide also, but I don't think this will happen right away).

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Webunny wrote:
Sand wrote:
I was not evaluating the merits of individual setts of icons. The fact remains, that we're trying to be a clone of winXP (ok, seen the legal wrangling in another thread: an 'alternative implementation'. When I say 'clone', from now on, I mean that, since 'AI' is already taken in IT land ;-)). The stated goal is also compatibility based on XP. Hence, the icons, to stay consistent, should be in the same style and also be as much XP-like. When one moves to win7, one could go for win7-like iconsets.

Sorry, but this is B&%§§*#it. This would mean that all these millions of stylepacks for XP (Vista, 8, OSX ...) would break compatibility.

My two cents:

The wish of the most devs would be an own iconset/look, but we have a few hundered different icons, cursors and similar resources.

Designers which do the WHOLE work are either too expensive or as rare as a win in the lottery.

We can be thankful that pisarz did the hard work to create a complete new theme FROM SCRATCH (most downloadable XP themes are hacked together or somehow modified so that we simply can't use them).

My opinion was that Lautus looks awfull with the Tango icons, and every other free icons I found looked linuxish, old, ugly, or were too incomplete (well, Faenza is incomplete too but it is a good compromise).
Faenza (and it's Fork Faience) were the only ones which looked somehow fresh and modern.
I did the work just for fun, without getting asked for, but now it seems that it will be the default iconset in the CE which was not my decision. I just showed some screenshots.

To say it short almost everything looks better than this old, ugly, linuxish, 1000 time forked, Tango Desktop Iconset.
Webunny wrote: (Of course, one could simply have different sets and let people decide also, but I don't think this will happen right away).
technical hard to (or impossible) realize, as the icons are direct included into the dlls, exes, cpls and so on. To hack something together which will make this possible would be something that would REALLY break compatibility.

Sand

Post by Sand »

My opinion was that Lautus looks awfull with the Tango icons, and every other free icons I found looked linuxish, old, ugly, or were too incomplete (well, Faenza is incomplete too but it is a good compromise).
Faenza (and it's Fork Faience) were the only ones which looked somehow fresh and modern.
Faenza does not look "modern" at all. It is actually very notorious. It looks linuxish more than any other icon set (including Tango). Besides this it also not always comprehensible what the individual Faenza icons mean (they are very distorted, folder is not like folder, bin is not like bin, monitor is not like a monitor). And it recembles the Windows icons the least of all Linux icon themes (I think it was made not to look like Windows in mind). It does not follow the ReactOS style and colors.

Faenza is the worst choice ever. And it is well-recognizable as Linux (specifically, Ubuntu/GTK) thing.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

gonzoMD wrote:Sorry, but this is B&%§§*#it. This would mean that all these millions of stylepacks for XP (Vista, 8, OSX ...) would break compatibility.
I'm not following you here. You say it's BS, and as argument you use something that isn't relevant to the quote above. Maybe you intended it to be for the latter quote of me which you posted below?
You didn't actually address the point I was making, namely that it would be best to use icons that are as much as possible resemblances of icons that you find in XP, for the simple reason that users, who expect to work on an XP clone, also expect the similar icons. The more they divert from the standard, the more confusion and doubt one will create. While a bit prettier, you'll note that even next iterations of Windows didn't divert TOO much from what was before.

Maybe you thought I was saying a certain set of icons are needed for compatibility (working-wise)? I do not. What I'm saying is, we're advertising ROS as an XP-compatible clone, and thus the expectation is there to it having the same feel as XP - in all aspects. Thus, the more you deviate from that, the less you get that feel. This also goes for the looks (aka, including the icons), and not only for the behaviour of the OS.
My two cents:

The wish of the most devs would be an own iconset/look, but we have a few hundered different icons, cursors and similar resources.

Designers which do the WHOLE work are either too expensive or as rare as a win in the lottery.

We can be thankful that pisarz did the hard work to create a complete new theme FROM SCRATCH (most downloadable XP themes are hacked together or somehow modified so that we simply can't use them).

I did the work just for fun, without getting asked for, but now it seems that it will be the default iconset in the CE which was not my decision. I just showed some screenshots.

To say it short almost everything looks better than this old, ugly, linuxish, 1000 time forked, Tango Desktop Iconset.
Webunny wrote: (Of course, one could simply have different sets and let people decide also, but I don't think this will happen right away).
technical hard to (or impossible) realize, as the icons are direct included into the dlls, exes, cpls and so on. To hack something together which will make this possible would be something that would REALLY break compatibility.
Maybe, but nothing is impossible. And even if: we're talking about another cycle of development for another iteration of ROS, then, based on win7, so one could give it more win7-like icons as well. That would make sense. I'm not sure many IT-people really understand how non-IT people are easily feeling uncomfortable. Even just changing the colour of a folder-icon from, say, the usual yellow into blue, already confuses some, and it wouldn't be uncommon that people hesitate or simply 'don't find it', even if one would claim it's not THAT different.

That's also why we use the same names and terminology as those of windows XP, after all. You could change all names and titles into synonyms. It still would be 'the same', basically, and yet you'll see people panic 'yeah, but it's not *exactly* the same.' Or "I can't find 'personalised' back!" (if it says 'customised'). Things like that.

You keep arguing in your post about the aesthetic beauty of the icons, but you seem to forget that's mostly subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. (Some would even say, the beerholder :P ). You can well say Tango is ugly, and Faenza beautiful, but some can say exactly the opposite. And you both could be convinced of that. (In fact, this is already being proven with this thread, if you read all the different opinions on the matter). So that doesn't help us any further: arguments based on subjective feelings of what is considered to be 'nice looking', is rather futile, since it lacks any objective measurement to compare different sets in regard to their beauty.

I would, therefore, go for the more functional aspect, and try to think from the stance of the masses, who will some day be using ROS (mayhaps), not from a personal like-or-disliking. In that case, it's easy to see the more resemblance icons have with what people are used to and expect, the more and faster they will become familiar with ROS. It's as simple as that.

Of course, in practise, it is true that you first must have icons that look like Windows ones.

That said, if the devs one day decided to go for creating a set of their own, I would strongly suggest they make it as close as is legally possible to those of Windows, whatever clone-version they are aspiring to create by then (win7, win9?).

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Sand wrote:Faenza is the worst choice ever.
That's how you make your opinion sound cheap, not how you persuade anyone to take it.
Sand wrote:folder is not like folder, bin is not like bin, monitor is not like a monitor
Yes they are. http://prntscr.com/3ick4y From left to right - "my computer", bin, home folder. What is there on these that can't be recognized? The Displays icon cannot be seen from the DeviantArt preview, so I couldn't attach it at this moment, sorry.
The icons being "squares with round corners" appeal to me in that all icons have similar shape (and thus style), there is not such a shape-harmony in other icon sets.
Sand wrote:And it is well-recognizable as Linux (specifically, Ubuntu/GTK) thing.
Based on your "notoriety" argument, no theme even remotely similar to KDE cannot be used because KDE uses it etc.

EDIT: fixed wording, no information change
Last edited by Black_Fox on Sun May 11, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

I'll vote for the Slick icons as well.
Also, Faenza seems inappropriate for ReactOS, considering the Mac style icons or how all of the icons are square.
I also don't like that Recycle Bin/Trash icon, it just seems awkward or unusual.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe they don't look like Mac icons ...
What exactly is that Orange icon supposed to be?

EDIT2:
Right, now I know what I was getting at. The whole squareness is what makes me not like it, since WfW3.11, 2K, XP, 7, OS X, Tango, Noveau XT 2, Crux, Bluecurve, or Slick don't feature entirely square icons.

Sand

Post by Sand »

What is there on these that can't be recognized?
Neither. I would never realize that the bin is the bin. I also never seen square folders in real life. And also the "computer" icon features only monitor and it is unclear what is the white thing around it.

Sand

Post by Sand »

Based on your "notoriety" argument, no theme even remotely similar to KDE cannot be used because KDE uses it etc.
KDE, at least the versions 1-3 was made having in mind Windows. They strived to follow or be somewhat "parrallel" to Windows in design. This not the case for the authors of Faenza.

Sand

Post by Sand »

Alternatively one can use the Gnome2 icon theme which is similar to Windows and much better than Tango, it also will fit well with the ReactOS colors, like Slick. It is much simplier ans ascetic than Slick though:

[ external image ]

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Sand wrote:Alternatively one can use the Gnome2 icon theme which is similar to Windows and much better than Tango, it also will fit well with the ReactOS colors, like Slick. It is much simplier ans ascetic than Slick though:

[ external image ]
These are actually not bad, from a 'recognisable' standpoint.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

From my POV all the Tango/GNOME2/Faenza sets have their advantages and are proven by time and number of users. Didn't know Noveau XT 2/Slick, but they seem nice enough too. Any of those can be used and all of them will have their proponents and opponents. However, it may be hard to reach a specific consensus with ReactOS's current limitation of only 1 icon set :-)