Blog: At the peak of the mountain... there's a hill?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Blog: At the peak of the mountain... there's a hill?

Post by Z98 »

kolle_hond

Re: Blog: At the peak of the mountain... there's a hill?

Post by kolle_hond »

Good to know that everything is still slowly progressing. I'm very eager to see the final results, but rather do it properly than rush anything.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I agree. You don't want to turn up the heat and burn what's cooking. I hate to see there are more obstacles, but that is par for the course. I do wonder if Coverity or the other code analyzer would be of any use here. There could be a few typos or something. It might also come to a point where there is some WINE code that needs to be totally rewritten. Part of the issue may be "sewing new patches on old garments."

bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

Thanks @Gigaherz!

For spending another week of your time to work on code that the whole world is going to benefit from! ;)

For the world, here's an idea... why not...

Buy a Round for the Project:
These guys sit at home in front of the computer working on our project while we are having a night out after a hard day of work. Just think of it, the next time you go out for a fun time at the local strip, town or bar. Just hold back on one round and donate the few Dollars or Euro or Yen or Rands or whatever currency you would have spent, to the project! This way you literally buy a round for the guys at ReactOS, just to say thanks for sitting and working on it while we are having fun!

Buy the Project a Coke:
So your not a party animal, like most geeks you are probably sitting and enjoying a Reddit thread that seems to never end! All this while someone on the other side of the world is working hard to progress the project that will one day give you an opportunity to stop pirating Windows. Why not say thanks and buy the guy a coke? Just donate the value of one coke in your currency!

Open source has the benefit of Economies of Scale! Don't need a large amount of your hard earned cash, just a bit of small change!

... anycase... just a thought.

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

bernarddt wrote: These guys sit at home in front of the computer working on our project while we are having a night out after a hard day of work.
in the case of gigaherz it is that his day of work IS ReactOS (ATM he is the one and only full time developer) ;)
bernarddt wrote: Open source has the benefit of Economies of Scale! Don't need a large amount of your hard earned cash, just a bit of small change!
Round or coke is less important in these days. Better spread the word about this one: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reac ... ty-edition

Nevertheless, Thank you gigaherz !!!

bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

gonzoMD wrote:in the case of gigaherz it is that his day of work IS ReactOS (ATM he is the one and only full time developer) ;)
Oh snap! You just spoiled my awesome PR action! No not really, the second part of my post was aimed at the (other) guys at the project or just in general. Or if you like: To keep @gigaherz employed :P
gonzoMD wrote:Round or coke is less important in these days.
I'm just materialising the "bigger picture" of "Just donate $1".

People are more willing to donate money freely if they feel their (little) donation will cover a big portion of or a whole "need". Just imagine a beggar on the street looking like a bear attacked him on his way to his "begging spot". "If you just donate $6, the poor guy will at least be able to replace his shirt, if you donate $15 he will be able to do that and also buy some lunch to survive the day...". In South Africa (and possibly other countries in the world) the beggars have (unintentionally) realised that and now always dress up in their "bear attacked outfit" to draw more and larger donations.

So I'm playing on the fact that maybe some people will hold back on donating, because they think that there is not much the project can do with only $1. But if they rather see it as they are just paying for "a friend's" coke at the store, they will feel satisfied that their $1 will go a much longer way.
gonzoMD wrote:Better spread the word about this one: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/reac ... ty-edition
I don't care which division of the project they support, but currently the community edition is the most pronounced on the website, so I did think that will be the primary receiver of donations.