Page 1 of 1

About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:20 pm
by illwieckz
Hi, on this page http://community.reactos.org/index.php/ ... eactos-0-4 , it's written “Vmware support” and “Vbox support”, what does it mean ? Running ReactOS inside Vmware or VirtualBox, or running Vmware and VirtualBox inside ReactOS ? :)

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:33 pm
by Maribo63_4
illwieckz wrote:Hi, on this page http://community.reactos.org/index.php/ ... eactos-0-4 , it's written “Vmware support” and “Vbox support”, what does it mean ? Running ReactOS inside Vmware or VirtualBox, or running Vmware and VirtualBox inside ReactOS ? :)
It means running ReactOS inside VM-ware and VirtualBox. 8-)

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:07 pm
by illwieckz
OK. Thank you for that clarification. :)

I’m writing an article for the french website linuxfr.org, so I may ask more questions if other doubts happen. ;)

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:24 pm
by illwieckz
The page cited before compares ReactOS 0.3 with ReactOS 0.4, there is somewhere a page that lists the expected changelog between ReactOS 0.3.16 and ReactOS 0.4.0?

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:51 pm
by vicmarcal
illwieckz wrote:The page cited before compares ReactOS 0.3 with ReactOS 0.4, there is somewhere a page that lists the expected changelog between ReactOS 0.3.16 and ReactOS 0.4.0?
Well the page cites the comparison among the 2 major releases (0.3.0 vs 0.4.0).Regarding the changelog of 0.4 vs 0.3.16, probably the graph which shows the latest evolution (0.3.9 to 0.4.0) could help you about what to expect :)
The changelog to 0.4 is unknown because it depends on the IGG campaign. There are even stretch goals which expands the 0.4 features.
If you have questions, and you want official answers, you may try the official "press@reactos.org" contact.
:)

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 pm
by Heis Spiter
If you need any French POV on/from ReactOS, you can find my mail address on Contact page as well ;-).

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:21 am
by illwieckz
Heis Spiter wrote:If you need any French POV on/from ReactOS, you can find my mail address on Contact page as well ;-).
Sorry, I did not see your message in time... My article was published here: http://linuxfr.org/news/reactos-officia ... inancement

Does not hesitate to respond in the comments to correct possible mistakes or to add informative supplements. ;)

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:52 pm
by vm370
One other thing regarding the VMware tools. The ReactOS installation procedure asks for the VMware tools to be mounted to directly install the drivers, which is really cool. However, apparently the content was not properly recognized after mounting the VMware tools iso, no drivers found. So I was just wondering if this is already in the current builds or what the status is for this in general. Currently installing VMware tools the usual way it results in a bluescreen and an unusable system for me :(
Thanks in advance

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:18 am
by Forever Winter
At some point (I guess VMware 7 or 8 and up) the guys at VMware decided to move the drivers in a separate setup program. As far as I can see from the vmwinst source, ReactOS looks for the plain
driver files in specific directories on the VMware tools iso, so it will simply don't find them on newer versions.

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:08 am
by EmuandCo
This thing is obsolete and should be removed completely.

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:55 am
by vicmarcal
EmuandCo wrote:This thing is obsolete and should be removed completely.
Please create a Jira report, I dont use Vmware, so we dont forget about deleting the obsolete thingie.

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:20 pm
by vm370
Forever Winter wrote:At some point (I guess VMware 7 or 8 and up) the guys at VMware decided to move the drivers in a separate setup program. As far as I can see from the vmwinst source, ReactOS looks for the plain
driver files in specific directories on the VMware tools iso, so it will simply don't find them on newer versions.
I guess you are talking about VMware Workstation, right?
@EmuandCo
OK, sad to hear that, I guess the reason would then be that the drivers are not accessible without the installer I guess? I'll check the installation on the latest build today, since 0.3.16 always results in a bsod.

Thanks in advance

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:29 pm
by EmuandCo
This thing is from about Version 0.2.5. NOTHING worked at that time.
It worked in the past when I tested it the last time. Just install the Guest Additions.

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:13 pm
by Forever Winter
@vm370

Yes, I mean VMware Workstation.

Re: About ReactOS 4.0 announced functionalities

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:27 pm
by vm370
EmuandCo wrote:This thing is from about Version 0.2.5. NOTHING worked at that time.
It worked in the past when I tested it the last time. Just install the Guest Additions.
OK thanks for the clarification, the mentioned guest additions result in the mentioned bluescreen which renders the system unusable. No VMware tools for me :(
update: before I forget it, I just tested this on 0.3.16, I'll test it on the latest build today.