ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GrassDinosaur

Re: ReactOS Community Edition (Indiegogo)

Post by GrassDinosaur »

laurflorin wrote:Hey devs! :D

I have a tip for you.

XP Support is ending. People still use this OS (~ 30% of the population)

Wouldn't it be nice to stress this idea on the indiegogo page? ;)

The death of XP will not happen thanks to ReactOS.
There would be MANY people who would pay for this :D
And to think XP is such an easy OS to clone...
laurflorin

Post by laurflorin »

I didn't say it was easy. ;) Anyway, doesn't ReactOS follow Win 2003 Server?

I just said that it would be good for the campaign IMHO.
People are mostly not tech savvies, but many of them like XP,
which is ReactOS's goal of reimplementing.

Devs could take thier time in analyzing and doing what's best for this
project as well as they can. No one is pressuring them.

It's just that people need to KNOW in the first place about this.
And if this is not the right time to do it, I don't know when it will. :)
IT: The only place where a cookie could pose a risk to your privacy.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
theuserbl wrote:Nice.
But why do I see a little difference to other projects?

Other projects (Haiku, KDE, GNOME, LibreOffice, ...): "We working on our project and having fun with it. But for the server, be present on conferences, for marketing, etc, we need money. Please donate."

ReactOS: "We are working hard on this shitty code. It makes no fun. So we need money to pay for people, who doing it. Please donate."

Greatings
theuserbl
Well, some of the first ones have Big Foundations or Companies supporting them, others have great Donnors behind them. Haiku has a Funding Ideas (Paid for code) too.
Be sure that LibreOffice developers are paid (even if there are casual contributors). Having at least a couple of devs hired is a must for any project, because it ensures the quality of someone caring constantly of part of the code.
Vic, can you or any of the other devs or knowledgeable person(s) in this area answer my post on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13182&p=107638#p107638 ? It's because it's dependent on either where or how much I can/will donate.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Backing on Indiegogo is not set up to be tax deductible. They require, amongst other things, a certified US based non-profit.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Backing on Indiegogo is not set up to be tax deductible. They require, amongst other things, a certified US based non-profit.
Ok, thanks for the info.

May I ask what the 'single board computer' is, exactly? You know, the reward for $600. Does one mean ROS installed on some kind of SoC-system?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Broadly speaking, yes. Which particular system it is is still under internal discussion. It all kind of depends on how successful the campaign is. The more resources we get, the more, interesting, a platform can be chosen.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:Broadly speaking, yes. Which particular system it is is still under internal discussion. It all kind of depends on how successful the campaign is. The more resources we get, the more, interesting, a platform can be chosen.
I see. Well, you can always look at viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13169 to get some ideas.

About the above: I decided to do both. The majority of my donation I will do the classical way (to the ROS non-profit in Germany), so that it (probably) can be tax-deducted in my country and thus I can set it higher. But I couldn't restrain myself to give a small token of appreciation to the indiegogo ROS community project too, so I made a small contribution to that also. It was really well done, this time, and I'm glad you shifted more to the position of going for a classical non-profit funding approach for a regular ROS-sponsoring. After all the objections you raised when I first proposed it (like one couldn't do it because there was no real reward possible, and you couldn't promise a finished product, etc.), I thought you guys were never going to do it.

But as it is now, I really like the concept and the effort that was made, much more than with the Thorium try.

Anyway, now I have to figure out how to 'push my app'. ;-)
davefilms

Post by davefilms »

I've been following ROS since 0.2 and I am very pleased to see excitement for 0.4 release. I contributed money to the cause and plan on sending more money. I can't wait to use reactos in real hardware.
bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

laurflorin wrote:P.S. There's a "fresh" new attitude in the air that I am sensing now. It's like devs have switched
from conservative, technical details to more consumer approach. This is seen both on
the fundraising campaign page and also here on the forum. My opinion is that if you
keep this attitude up and running, there will be many more successes to come.
And who knows? Maybe one day you could even become better than Microsoft at its own game!
With the Community's support and the open source nature... I think ReactOS will resemble
Windows - but only with its Pluses and none of its Minuses.
+1!
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

ReactOS Community Edition seems much more on-point than Thorium Core was. It's directly ReactOS, not some highly-specialized derivative whose relationship to ReactOS is unclear to non-technical users, the benefits to the longstanding ReactOS community are clear and immediate, and the target amount is much more realistic (i.e., if I donate $10 to Community Edition, it does a hell of a lot more towards a $50,000 target than a $140,000 target). Plus, even if we don't reach the target amount, the project can still use the funding elsewhere for development, which is an incentive in and of itself. I'll try to cough up ten bucks or so if I can (my pay isn't the best) sometime soon. I was pretty skeptical of Thorium Core's feasibility as a fundraiser (though the technical concepts were cool), but this seems much more focused. Thanks to the dev team for really sitting down and trying to get things right this time around.

Now if only we could get Anonymous to give a shout-out again, then we'd have all the script kiddies donating. :)

So how will Community Edition be different from ReactOS main? Will it fork off of 0.4 while the trunk builds go on, and then fixes from Community Edition will be merged with trunk? Not that it worries me much or anything, just curious.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

ROS Community Edition is build around the core, i.e. our trunk. So the commits into the trunk go directly into the Community Edition.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

hbelusca wrote:ROS Community Edition is build around the core, i.e. our trunk. So the commits into the trunk go directly into the Community Edition.
So it's not really a separate branch or anything, it's more of just an organizational change in how the team decides what gets priority in development?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Well, even if I don't really know at the moment what will change at the code-level, you can have some part in a branch, for developing funny things (as e.g. it is done for the explorer_new of David), with the core code (kernel, drivers, ...) always in the trunk.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

RaptorEmperor wrote:
hbelusca wrote:ROS Community Edition is build around the core, i.e. our trunk. So the commits into the trunk go directly into the Community Edition.
So it's not really a separate branch or anything, it's more of just an organizational change in how the team decides what gets priority in development?
Well, the "Ros Community Edition" comes with differences regarding the "vanilla ReactOS".
Firstly, "Ros Community Edition" will come with a new explorer and new icons (the new explorer probably will be addopted by "ReactOS" vanilla, but dunno if the new icons and appearence will be added too or "ReactOS" will keep its "Tango").

"Ros Community Edition" tries to be a "serie" of Editions which "progressively" increases its compatibility to a "decent/perfect" usage but "app through app". This time, at least, 3 apps will be Community choosen and these changes will be ported to "ReactOS"(if they are not seen as hacks).

ReactOS right now works in "global compatibility" and ReactOS Community will use the "focus in the apps choosen" approach,aka real cases.

"Ros Community Edition" comes with an app-installer in the 1st stage. The app-installer will be basically our current but improved "ReactOS Apps Manager",so users will be able to install the apps at the same time they install the OS, this way when they reach Desktop they have their Apps waiting for them. This is an answer about "why don't ReactOS have any Internet browser pre-installed"? Well, we don't want to pre-install anything so let's give to the user the ability to pick which apps they want to install during the ReactOS Community setup. Probably "ReactOS vanilla" won't introduce such a feature.

So will "ReactOS Community Edition" need its own branch? Depends, but probably yes.
chrisv5

Post by chrisv5 »

I am curious why you do not advertise the Indiegogo campaign to your supporters on Kickstarter? You do not need the money? You expect them to find out themselves? Like always, I am having a hard time to understand the ReactOS marketing strategies...