Blog: Walking in circles

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Blog: Walking in circles

Post by Z98 »

Black_Fox

Re: Blog: Walking in circles

Post by Black_Fox »

Thank you at least for teh kittenz, internets! Hopefully there will be good luck and the bug squashed by next week.
I like the frequency with which gigaherz puts out his blogs (pun intended).
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Hmm. Well, it's better than nothing, I guess. But this method of 'commenting' isn't really all that superb neither. There is too much discrepancy between it: with the first, you see the blog, but not the comments. And then, you are transported here, and you see the comments, but not the original blogreport. Yes, there are links to both...but it's not the same.

If you're truly unwilling to consider replacing the current system with a better captcha + honeypot system, I guess your "If you want to see a "live" discussion take place it would be more practical to just embed the forum thread at the end with a custom block. Then we get the best of both worlds, the forum moderation that we already have farmed out (because phpbb actually has a sane user management setup) and the ability for people to see discussion relating to the blog post" suggestion is, indeed, better than what we have now.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

With the kitten pics, it seems a better title for the entry would be, "Chasing our tails." ;-)

As for the complaints, it isn't that bad. Just copy the article before clicking. Then you can paste and use the quote tool.
kolle_hond

Post by kolle_hond »

The only comment I have is: Don't give up! We know you can do it! The end(beginning) is in sight!
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Agree with the previous poster.

And two quick off-topics:
First, I actually like the new way of commenting on forum. The discussions are more lively and seem attract more people.
I used to comment blog posts, but often either got no reply, late reply, or forgot to check for replies after a while. Having to login separately is not helping either.

And second: careful with these cat pictures. :lol:
lastar

Post by lastar »

gigaherz do not despair! Russian proverb: slow and steady wins the race. Measure twice cut once. Patience and a little effort. Frighten eyes and hands do. Good luck to you all the best!
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

[deleted]
Last edited by dsp8195 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

Remember I'm implementing a menu. It has to behave like a menu. This includes, for the cases such as the menubar in explorer windows, the fact that the windows menus do not deactivate the parent window. They rely on hooks and captures to temporarily take over the input from the parent. Also to be able to switch popups when moving the mouse over to another toolbar button, a message filter is needed. This IS how the windows shell menus behave, there is no way around it. Although they sound bad, the hooks are a perfectly legitimate feature, that is necessary for this kind of behaviour to work correctly. Also note that the hooks are only ever active while there's a popup displayed. The menubar itself should not cause the hooks to get activated, unless you click on a menu item and display the popup.

I did try to make the start menu work without hooks, relying instead on activation/deactivation of the window as a means to know when it was supposed to close itself, but eventually I realized that behaviour alone would not do, if I wanted to fully replicate the look&feel of the windows menus.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Any more progress?
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

A bit, but so far only while I run it in Windows 7. Windows 2003 and ReactOS are still buggy.
You'll know more next weekend... ;P
milon

Post by milon »

dsp8195 wrote:If walking in circles occurs, there's something fundamentally wrong with the project structure itself.
Keep in mind that we strive for compatibility with Windows applications and drivers. That means the GUI environment must function the same way as Windows. Yes, it's a bit screwy, but we can't simply choose to do things differently. That would break far too many applications, and would defeat the purpose of the project.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

gigaherz wrote:A bit, but so far only while I run it in Windows 7. Windows 2003 and ReactOS are still buggy.
You'll know more next weekend... ;P
or you just follow IRC messages :p
BigChimp

Post by BigChimp »

Keep on going Gigaherz: better good code that takes a while than buggy hacks that will take forever in future to disentangle again ;)
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

gigaherz wrote:I did try to make the start menu work without hooks, relying instead on activation/deactivation of the window as a means to know when it was supposed to close itself, but eventually I realized that behaviour alone would not do, if I wanted to fully replicate the look&feel of the windows menus.
Add it as an alternate(not default) focus behavior. Users wanting so will use that non-standard way of menu focus.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2