Double-click to close

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z123

Double-click to close

Post by Z123 »

Last time I tried ReactOS about 2 years ago, I could not close any windows using the classical method. This allows faster closing by allowing closure on either side (Left-side double-click AND Right-side X, whichever is closer). Every version of Windows allows closing a window by double-clicking the control box (the upper left corner of a form). When I tried it, ReactOS (like Linux) failed to close anything. It would only flash up the control menu and sit there in a stupor like Gnome does.

Can anyone verify if this fault still exists? It is the primary roadblock to me getting on this bandwagon.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Double-click to close

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I've been using windows since the beginning and I was unaware this functionality was available. I doubt many others are aware of it too.
I wouldn't let it be a show-stopper for you with regard to the use of an operating system, however, it does show how attached people can be to their GUI.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

If we don't support it, is due to wine does not support it. X11 does.... So wine does ignore things and assumes X11 will take up the slack. Thus the term "Code Hole" (say that three times fast), that I use to explain these types of phenomena.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

jimtabor wrote:If we don't support it, is due to wine does not support it. X11 does.... So wine does ignore things and assumes X11 will take up the slack. Thus the term "Code Hole" (say that three times fast), that I use to explain these types of phenomena.
Wine code handles the windowing? I'm not saying you're wrong, just genuinely curious.

FlyingIsFun1217
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

FlyingIsFun1217 wrote:
jimtabor wrote:If we don't support it, is due to wine does not support it. X11 does.... So wine does ignore things and assumes X11 will take up the slack. Thus the term "Code Hole" (say that three times fast), that I use to explain these types of phenomena.
Wine code handles the windowing? I'm not saying you're wrong, just genuinely curious.

FlyingIsFun1217
See their user32.dll implementation. They handle some things, then they do an interface with X11. And btw, "I'm not saying you're wrong" :D :D :D :D You are talking to the (only ?? in ReactOS) guy who is in charge of win32 subsystem (for the window part of it at least) so he knows what is happening in there (and I can confirm that in this place, lots of code came from wine).
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

I know at one time this worked...... 0.3.3+ sometime then. But.......... since we SYNCED PORTED from wine (Assume wine is right days) those patches became lost.... Someone should go back and research this and find them.

Good example:
https://jira.reactos.org/secure/attachm ... pshot7.png
Does that remind anyone? CORE-7054 maybe? Look at the right of the title bar....
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

hbelusca wrote: And btw, "I'm not saying you're wrong" :D :D :D :D You are talking to the (only ?? in ReactOS) guy who is in charge of win32 subsystem (for the window part of it at least) so he knows what is happening in there (and I can confirm that in this place, lots of code came from wine).
Going off the general attitude in these forums, I've seen people tell the developers they're wrong, about their own work, hence the disclaimer. I understand he knows what he's talking about, and was curious the details.

FlyingIsFun1217
Z123

Post by Z123 »

Many have said they didn't know about this method. Once it is learned, it's so convenient as to be an absolute show-stopper to lose it. To use rough analogy, I could more easily learn the ridiculous "downward swipe" of Metro, because (on metro-side) it does not yet have a control box appearing to be operational. I know XFCE can be tweaked to close on control box double-click, but it's a pain to get in place and it cannot be relied upon when using a different computer. Much like Alt-F4, double-click can be relied upon and still many do not know the technique. I suggest it's a bigger mystery why to omit double-click, since those who don't know about it won't be bothered by its presence.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Z123 wrote:Many have said they didn't know about this method. Once it is learned, it's so convenient as to be an absolute show-stopper to lose it.
I was never aware of it, and I haven't used it a second time since learning about it. On my 23" monitor, the right-hand X is no more than 20" from the left-hand control box, which translates to about a 2-3" hand movement that takes no more than 1 second. After 23 years of using the single click method, I'm not even tempted to retrain myself to use the double click method -- even if my mouse cursor is closer to the left side than the right side -- for the fraction of a second it would save each time. Life is short, but it's not that short! I don't think there are very many people for whom this would be a show stopper.

At any rate, no one is arguing against adding it. What was said is that the functionality isn't present in ReactOS because it isn't present in WINE. It's possible that someone will restore the functionality anyway.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
middings

Post by middings »

CORE-3269 user32: Double-click on application icon does not close application.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Let's not forget GUI related issues can be real show-stoppers for users though possibly seemingly trivial for those that are doing the actual development, especially when the devs have serious issues to resolve. Changes to a familiar GUI is often the main reason why many come to despise the Microsoft o/s updates - Metro GUI vs Win7, Vista vs XP, XP vs NT/2000 classic for example. I still use the Win NT/2000 classic GUI and for me, the closely-coupled O/S+GUI changes that Redmond forces upon us (on a regular basis) are one of my main reasons for wanting to move to ReactOS so I can regain control of the productive GUI I am used to.

-oOo-

I hate the GUI changes so much I have now created my own desktop interface via Yahoo widgets and Rocketdock. I impose this on any system that I use and it means that my interface is common regardless of the o/s. Underneath of course, is XP or Vista but I would prefer the o/s to provide the NT5 version of the desktop any day. I'll post an image of my desktop here as a demo of what I personally like, I'll remove it if it annoys any.

[ external image ]

Is there code here to allow for spoilers?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Is there code here to allow for spoilers?
There are image hosting services that generate links or thumbnails, e.g. imgur.com.
Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

dizt3mp3r wrote:I've been using windows since the beginning and I was unaware this functionality was available. I doubt many others are aware of it too.
I wouldn't let it be a show-stopper for you with regard to the use of an operating system, however, it does show how attached people can be to their GUI.
I thought that was the only way to close windows in win3.1? apart from selecting an exit or close option in a menu? I think it defiantly needs to be in reactors, I appreciate that lots (probably most) people aren't aware of it but it is handy at times
fred02

Post by fred02 »

DOSGuy wrote:
Z123 wrote:Many have said they didn't know about this method. Once it is learned, it's so convenient as to be an absolute show-stopper to lose it.
I was never aware of it
Mrkaras wrote:
dizt3mp3r wrote:I've been using windows since the beginning and I was unaware this functionality was available. I doubt many others are aware of it too.
I thought that was the only way to close windows in win3.1? apart from selecting an exit or close option in a menu?
Indeed, and it goes back to Windows origines. As you see, there was no close button on the far right, only a single mininise/maximise (split into two in version 2.x).
dizt3mp3r wrote:Microsoft o/s updates - Metro GUI vs Win7, Vista vs XP, XP vs NT/2000 classic for example.
And you forgot the 3.x vs. 95 and the origin of the third button for "close". But first a little reminder: in the mid-nineties a 14"-15" monitors were mainstream, and, more importantly, 800x600 resolution a norm. So to work with a document one usually had to put the application full screen. An now the "quiz of the day" question: "Which single click button was 'conveniently' placed where the maximize button used to be?" :twisted:
"Hours and hours of fun" for the innocent users. For the extra prise: there were still applications that would not ask you to save before exit. :twisted:
To sum it up: double click application icon to close it was there from the beginning and was faithfully kept through all subsequent versions, for almost 30 :o years now, for historical, compatibility or whatever other reason.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You are quite right about the missing Win 3.11- GUI changes that I also remember disliking at the time. My main bugbear was not being able to fire up multiple folder windows within the file manager as Explorer only gave you one folder to look at, at a time.

Regardless of my ramblings, you have made your point well, the icon (top left) double-click is an important (if little known?) piece of functionality that ought to be retained. I may even start using it again - I had completely forgotten about it but I was once a regular users of this, as were we all...

Has anyone tested Windowblinds on ReactOS?

[ external image ]

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2009/ ... windows-3/