Why is it taking so long?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Doors

Re: Why is it taking so long?

Post by Doors »

Speaking as an individual who does a fair amount of mixed usage, I find the newer versions of windows annoying and effectively unusable.
*Edit: My current OS is XP64 SP2(Win2003 based). It is the newest version I have found with a UI that I like.

I think it starts in Vista, but it might be 7, there is literally no way to see or sort by file extension.
Though lacking in XP, it can be added back in quite easily.
To be clear, I am not referring to file association, I am referring to extension.
That means that jpg, gif & png all show the same in later windows.
I happen to need to know what type of graphics file I am working with, it makes a difference.
Knowing if a file is avi, mp3, mp4, mov, wav, mkv, etc, matters when troubleshooting codecs.

I install cpext to give me the file extension column, a possibility that is lacking in later windows.
This was a deliberate choice on microsoft's part, a choice that actively reduced the functionality of windows.
They removed the generic column handler from the shell.
That means that not only does windows no longer support showing file extensions, it means that unless you are willing to write a file extension handler for 'every single file extension you can imagine', you can no longer have the extension show.

I happen to prefer the start menu setup from WinMe/Win2K, it works for me.
Xp comes with eye candied garbage, but it can be disabled, so it works for me.
With Vista you can disable most of it, but Vista is it's own reason not to use it.
With 7/8/8.1, you are stuck with what is to me, 'eye candy hell', or worse, 'tile hell'
I like a simple setup, the original style from earlier windows working just fine for me.
If other people want eye candy, great, they are welcome to it.

Then there is the task bar, pinning does not work for me.
I use taskix to give the ability to move things on the task bar, a useful ability inspired by 7.
I won't type my opinion of pinning here, I am keeping to clean language, suffice it to say I don't like it.
I like things to stay where I put them, personalized menus or self sorting ones don't work for me.
I want things simple and logical, sadly, the simpler microsoft claims a layout is, the more complex it seems to me.
While XP is not perfectly laid out, it is at least self consistent, and I have a directory tree in the left pane of windows explorer I can use to navigate.
The jumping around in Vista/7/8/8.1 is for me distracting and random.

So if the developers want to take their time and be sure they are getting things right, I say support them.
I would rather we end up with an OS that is compatible with newer drivers, while retaining backwards compatibility to the greatest extent possible.
At the same time, I would hope that the UI(explorer/desktop) can keep the older modes I like, but still have the ability to be 'modernized', though I disagree that that is the right word.

It is getting the core correct that counts, the rest is if you will pardon the pun, window dressing.
Memory manager, Graphics, Menus, Drivers, these are the important kinds of things.
If those are done correctly, then the rest is just how you choose to have it represented.
It is that choice that Microsoft is taking away from users, and what the developers are taking their time to be sure is retained.

So this project takes as long as it takes.
For some of us, the choice is no choice at all.

Gnome 3 and most Linux desktops are not a choice for me.
Maybe I'm spoiled, but I think I should be able to right click in the middle of the desktop and have all the setting relevant to it right there.
Context menu containing resolution, colors, fonts, schema/theme, screen saver, etc, all in one place.
At the very least, settings should be grouped by function in my opinion,

OSX is just a cuss word to me. (PS, I am not a mac person)

If I had the skills to contribute directly, I would.
I am studying, learning, but I have a long ways to go and I know it.

My thanks to the devs who taking their time and doing it right, THANK YOU!

Doors.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

All versions of windows (dunno about 8+ ) is able to show the file extensions: you go to the properties of the explorer, then you search for "display file extensions". If also you want a column displaying the "type" of the file, you need to be in "details" list mode.
(Just to note I'm using Win7)

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

That doesn't work at all how Doors wants it. The config-enabled extension is still a part of the filename and the "type" column is a bunch of words instead of the actual extension. Example: PNG would sort before XLS, but "Image" will go before "Microsoft Office Spreadsheet". I don't share the need for this specific use case, but I see it's not covered. Disclaimer: I have Win7 too :mrgreen:

EDIT: typo(s)
Last edited by Black_Fox on Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Doors

Post by Doors »

hbelusca wrote:All versions of windows (dunno about 8+ ) is able to show the file extensions: you go to the properties of the explorer, then you search for "display file extensions". If also you want a column displaying the "type" of the file, you need to be in "details" list mode.
(Just to note I'm using Win7)
I was apparently inexact, my apologies.
I am referring to a column that has only file extensions.
A column that can be sorted by like any other.
The type column is for file associations, not file extensions.
It does not distinguish between gif, png or jpg if the same program opens them all.
I can easily turn on the column that tells me what program opens a file, but that is not what I want or need most of the time.

My complaint is that Microsoft seems intent on turning computers into appliances.
I am grateful that the ResctOs developers are leaving options like this open to those of us that use them.

Sorry for not being precise enough.

Doors

tomleem

This Is What Happens When Your Non-Coding Boss Asks You to C

Post by tomleem »

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-what-happens ... 1541110357
Perhaps what some might be thinking in wandering why it takes so long? :lol:
[ external image ]
'Sometimes, people don't quite understand that writing the code is the easy part; it's figuring out what to write that takes up the time.'. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

happy1460 wrote:I think I will be dead by the time this OS is ready. I'm using XP. I love it. But Microsoft is dropping us. I hate Windows 7 with a passion. And Linux is plain and ancient looking. So I'll keep using XP. But what I really want to know is what is Reactos OS goal. I first thought it was going to be like XP/2000. Now I think the developers are dropping that design goal. And moving on to Windows 7 the pig.
Nah, we're currently targeting Windows 2003 Sp1, but don't let that frighten you, this is just technical talk for "we're working on supporting pretty much anything you're throwing at your Windows XP right now". The reason is, both Windows XP and 2003 have this "NT 5" kernel under the hood, and we picked 2003 Sp1 because it's the latest member of this "NT 5" family, which means the maximum of features we could aim for, while at the same time keeping Windows XP compatibility/support.
happy1460 wrote:Maybe that's why it's taking long. They can't decide which OS to use as a blueprint.
I'm glad you actually cared enough to come here and ask then. It's taking long because we lack the resources to progress any faster. We have a very clear goal, and we pretty much know what we need to do. You can help us progress faster of course.
happy1460 wrote:I rather they stay with 2000/XP. I hate Windows 7. The start menu is so useless. Please don't change to 7. People can use that OS for a long time. XP is the system that is getting the boot from Microsoft. And there are a lot of people who love XP, including me. Thank you. Sorry about being rude. I just hate this XP Doomsday bashing by a lot of websites. :?
Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us and express this. As I mentioned above, ReactOS is actually still after Windows XP (to the users eyes) and any efforts to help the project are most welcome. The more resources the project acquires, the faster the progress will be. We're doing our best from our side, and it's up to you guys to do the same ;)

Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

i hate vista, 7 and 8. nevermind you already know that LOL :lol:

oldman

Post by oldman »

AmineKhaldi » 11 Mar 2014 16:25
We're doing our best from our side, and it's up to you guys to do the same
From the link:
You can assist the ReactOS development effort by installing regular trunk builds available here and providing feedback on issues/problems you encountered during and after installing the OS via our Jira.
I am not very encouraged to post jira issues, because, sometimes I feel that posting reports is like throwing the report into a blackhole. You post a report and it just sits there as though it's invisible; no comment by any dev to acknowledge that it has been seen and will be looked at when someone has the time.

I like testing trunk builds, but I like too see something that looks significant or there have been a lot of minor commits, of at least 50, better still 100. But all the branches tend to confuse things.

Is there anywhere on this website, where just commits to the main trunk can be viewed easily?
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Letting the report rot in forum or even not post it anywhere is even worse, in JIRA it has at least some chance of being found.

Trunk-only commits are here: http://code.reactos.org/changelog/~br=trunk/reactos

fred02

Post by fred02 »

AmineKhaldi wrote:we picked 2003 Sp1 because it's the latest member of this "NT 5" family
I thought it was SP2, or were there no changes to the kernel in it?

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

It is SP1, because at the time of the decision SP2 was not out yet. There are some changes in SP2 kernel, therefore the compatibility target cannot be bumped just like that.

fred02

Post by fred02 »

Thank you for the explanation Black_Fox. I was not aware of this decision that predates 2007.

oldman

Post by oldman »

Black_Fox wrote:Letting the report rot in forum or even not post it anywhere is even worse, in JIRA it has at least some chance of being found.
I agree, but that does not detract from what I wrote earlier. If I submit a report in Jira and it seems to be totally ignored, then I am discouraged from reporting further bugs.
Black_Fox wrote: Trunk-only commits are here: http://code.reactos.org/changelog/~br=trunk/reactos
Thanks for the link, I have book marked it.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

Webunny

Post by Webunny »

oldman wrote:
Black_Fox wrote:Letting the report rot in forum or even not post it anywhere is even worse, in JIRA it has at least some chance of being found.
I agree, but that does not detract from what I wrote earlier. If I submit a report in Jira and it seems to be totally ignored, then I am discouraged from reporting further bugs.
Black_Fox wrote: Trunk-only commits are here: http://code.reactos.org/changelog/~br=trunk/reactos
Thanks for the link, I have book marked it.

I can agree with this, though I can't complain too much, since some of the bugs I reported did get fixed. :-)

But there should be someone specifically designated - a 'manager' thus - who reads, researches and handles all the mentioned/reported bugs and assigns it to the appropriate developer(s), and also follows up on it, and gives a minimum of feedback - even acknowledgement that the bug is noted/valid and is going to be looked at would diminish the feeling that it gets 'lost' there and it's lmittle use reporting anything.

I'm not saying the devs don't fix many problems, as we have seen from the list, they do, but A LOT also don't get fixed for what seems ages, and worse, give the impression they're been neglected. It's as much a question of communication than anything else, thus, and with little effort it could be made far more appreciative (at least for the tester that filed it), if *something* was said to it (even a negative that it will get fixed).

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You've underestimated the amount of work it takes to sort through the jira issues by a couple orders of magnitude there.