[Official]PR:Tasks lists

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Forever Winter
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 am

Re: [Official]PR:Tasks lists

Post by Forever Winter »

@vicmarcal

Thanks for your answer,

For example, former versions of VirtualBox exist in a closed source edition and an open source edition (with some features removed).
So what I mean was if than should in the "Opensource" column go yes or no. For the free and non-free variant, I mean for example
something like Animate Pro. Commercial users would buy the commercial version, from wich one can download a trial version.
For private use there is also a version available for free (with some restrictions). So in the "Free" column, either yes or no could be put.

Anyway, I take your suggestion and add a note if I'm unsure.

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: [Official]PR:Tasks lists

Post by vicmarcal »

Forever Winter wrote:@vicmarcal

Thanks for your answer,

For example, former versions of VirtualBox exist in a closed source edition and an open source edition (with some features removed).
So what I mean was if than should in the "Opensource" column go yes or no. For the free and non-free variant, I mean for example
something like Animate Pro. Commercial users would buy the commercial version, from wich one can download a trial version.
For private use there is also a version available for free (with some restrictions). So in the "Free" column, either yes or no could be put.

Anyway, I take your suggestion and add a note if I'm unsure.
For me, right now, VirtualBox is an opensource product and Free. (If you want you can add a note telling about the closed source,etc)
Animate Pro is a Paid app because it request a license. Having Trials doesnt mean it is Free, just that they are placing honey in your mouth. Almost any Paid app has Trial(Free) versions of the app, but the app itself is considered as Paid since they require usually a license to unblock/have it legal.

Dunno if my answer helps a little more :)

Forever Winter
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 am

Re: [Official]PR:Tasks lists

Post by Forever Winter »

@vicmarcal

Yes, for me VirtualBox is Open Source too. Because nowdays there is no closed source edition anymore, this was a weak example from me.

Of course the Free Trial is intended to try it and later buy the full version. But in the case of Animate Pro for example, there is also a free version (They call it Personal Learning Edition or so),
for wich one gets a licence key for a free licence on download for personal use. So depending on if one has Animate Pro or Animate Pro PLE, the program may be free for personal use.
This of course doesn't change the overall commercial character of the software.
But I think I get it now and in such cases fill in non-free because of the overall commercial character of the product.

Again, thanks for your time.

User avatar
Black_Fox
Posts: 1584
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Czechia

Re: [Official]PR:Tasks lists

Post by Black_Fox »

Forever Winter wrote:Yes, for me VirtualBox is Open Source too. Because nowdays there is no closed source edition anymore, this was a weak example from me.
There are still proprietary, closed-source extensions that add the USB, PXE and RDP support, so VBox technically can fall into "FOSS with limited functionality" category.

EDIT: Opensource+freeware :-)
Last edited by Black_Fox on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vicmarcal
Test Team
Posts: 2732
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: [Official]PR:Tasks lists

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:
Forever Winter wrote:Yes, for me VirtualBox is Open Source too. Because nowdays there is no closed source edition anymore, this was a weak example from me.
There are still proprietary, closed-source extensions that add the USB, PXE and RDP support, so VBox technically can fall into "FOSS with limited functionality" category.
Opensource + Paid then.
Not all the opensource have to be free as ReactOS is :)

Webunny
Posts: 1201
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Re: [Official]PR:Tasks lists

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
Black_Fox wrote:
Forever Winter wrote:Yes, for me VirtualBox is Open Source too. Because nowdays there is no closed source edition anymore, this was a weak example from me.
There are still proprietary, closed-source extensions that add the USB, PXE and RDP support, so VBox technically can fall into "FOSS with limited functionality" category.
Opensource + Paid then.
Not all the opensource have to be free as ReactOS is :)
Way to go, vicamaral! :-)

If others still want to add to it: feel free to do so. Now is the time we'll be needing it the most!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests